Re: Rumour - Gary Hooper

by SmellyAli » 24 Jul 2013 19:16

ATKINS OUT!

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 24 Jul 2013 19:26

SmellyAli ATKINS OUT!

How can we get rid of someone called Atkins when we don't even employ someone with that name ? :roll:

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 24 Jul 2013 21:18

SmellyAli ATKINS OUT!

It's tragic people are still calling Adkins, Atkins

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 24 Jul 2013 22:37

Are we talking about Brian McAdkins?

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 24 Jul 2013 22:46

It's only a matter of time before someone calls him Aitkins, or, Aidken.

King van der Kwaak

by King van der Kwaak » 24 Jul 2013 23:59

I doubt we'll regret not signing him, not least because it's another large wage because of the continual failure of Scottish Premier League "stars" to shine in the top two divisions - Boyd, Ferguson, Gordon etc. I'm also not wholly convinced about Hooper's fitness levels for a gruelling season in the Championship, compared to playing at half-effort in the SPL.

Although his wages and fee are, in theory, now within Reading's reach, if they really wanted Hooper, I have no doubt they would've made a serious bid. Hopefully they decided the combined cost was just too risky. Even Harry seems like he's justifying reasons to sign him in the press blurb, which is a little concerning if I were a QPR fan.

The strength of the SPL is perhaps best summed up by Dundee United buying two players from Hayes & Yeading, and both of them going straight into their first team - now, although former Royal Les Ferdinand joined QPR from Hayes and was rather successful in his career, it's notable that people going into the SPL this season are largely from Leagues 1 and 2.

If having someone who scored reguarly in a clearly inferior league to the Championship and who has scored in European competition is so important to promotion, then I would suggest playing Karl Sheppard, who to the best of my knowledge, is still a Reading striker, if only in contract terms.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Jul 2013 04:09

Royal91
SmellyAli ATKINS OUT!

It's tragic people are still calling Adkins, Atkins

I agree. I know for a fact it really pisses of Majesski too

jellytot

by jellytot » 25 Jul 2013 07:04

He is going to sign for QPR it is over. Disappointing to say the least. I do not think we have been a factor for him at all. Same old Reading seems that about £2.5 m is our limit.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 25 Jul 2013 07:10

jellytot He is going to sign for QPR it is over. Disappointing to say the least. I do not think we have been a factor for him at all. Same old Reading seems that about £2.5 m is our limit.

Why are you so disappointed?! QPR will sell tens of £Millions of worth of players and NEED to get back into the prem more than we do! Redknapp is the kind of manager many players want to play for and QPR is a bigger club than us. We've signed Wayne Bridge, Royston Drenthe and US international and sold NO-ONE we didn't want to since going down. Get a grip!!!!!!!

Cypry

by Cypry » 25 Jul 2013 08:10

jellytot He is going to sign for QPR it is over. Disappointing to say the least. I do not think we have been a factor for him at all. Same old Reading seems that about £2.5 m is our limit.

Thing is, it's not just a £5M fee is it?
If we assume a 3 year contract you're talking about committing nearly £14M to one player over three years if his rumoured £55k a week wage is correct. Add in National Insurance, agents fees, signing fees etc and you'd need to sell best part of half a million replica shirts to pay for just the one player....

He would represent a massive gamble, one I'm not convinced we should take. Yes, he might score a load of goals for QPR, and help them to promotion - the gamble might pay off. But if he doesn't, then his value will drop, and QPR will be stuck with him..

I fear we might be learning that the hard way with Pog....Anton's been quite open about him possibly leaving, perhaps too open? Could it be we're trying, but struggling, to move him on based on last seasons performances?

From the moment TSI took over we were told that prudence would continue, but, importantly, that we would no longer HAVE to sell key players in order to fill the annual black hole....to date they've been 100% true to their word....

Too many people behaving like spoilt children here I think....

buddy1983

by buddy1983 » 25 Jul 2013 08:38

Why are you so disappointed?! QPR will sell tens of £Millions of worth of players and NEED to get back into the prem more than we do! Redknapp is the kind of manager many players want to play for and QPR is a bigger club than us. We've signed Wayne Bridge, Royston Drenthe and US international and sold NO-ONE we didn't want to since going down. Get a grip!!!!!!!

+1, we are in a great position, if we keep hold of all our players plus we've added some great players then there's no reason we won't do well this season. No need to break the bank

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Jul 2013 08:39

PistolPete Redknapp is the kind of manager many players want to play for

yep, really showed that last season.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 25 Jul 2013 08:42

PistolPete

The club has made signings which would have been beyond reach pre TSI. Adkins hints that there is more to come and no vital players have left. At the risk of sounding like an embittered Brighton fan, I am not certain that QPR are a bigger club in all aspects. They have a higher profile, but along with that, a huge wage bill. We have a better infrastructure, arguably a larger fan base with less competition and a successful though sometimes frustratingly prudent financial policy, I feel that we can at least compete on even terms and that there are almost certainly better options than Gary Hooper

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 25 Jul 2013 08:58

It may be a reflection of how far we have come that people think we should be shelling out £5M+ on players before salaries etc etc. I am not going to deny I would like Gary Hooper to come to Reading, and if it had been an acceptable deal than great. However, as stated earlier, a transfer fee is only part of the package price, the deposit if you will, so the final total will always be much more. Could we justify spending in excess of £10M on a player at this time (I am being more conservative on the wages etc than the figure mentioned), I would say probably not however much I would like him to come. I am not sure how QPR are going to work their finances out next year. West Ham are rumoured to be after Remy, but everything seems rumour without a lot of concrete. It will be interesting to see how 'Arry gets a lot of players who weren't keyed for away games in the Premier League, to be up for games at Doncaster and Yeovil.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 25 Jul 2013 09:41

FCUKING LOL

Norwich have now agreed terms for Celtic's Gary Hooper and we understand he will have medical there later today. QPR set to miss out.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 25 Jul 2013 10:05

soggy biscuit
PistolPete Redknapp is the kind of manager many players want to play for

yep, really showed that last season.

Players love him. He may not have managed to turn that shower around last season but Adkins is still a larger draw for players whatever you think...

yappy

by yappy » 25 Jul 2013 10:06

Pepe the Horseman FCUKING LOL

Norwich have now agreed terms for Celtic's Gary Hooper and we understand he will have medical there later today. QPR set to miss out.

Source? Please be true!

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 25 Jul 2013 10:11

Pepe the Horseman FCUKING LOL

I am so hoping this is true!!! Having said that i did wonder what would happen once a team agreed a fee with Celtic. Once a fee is agreed, it tells anyone vaguely interested that the current club is prepared to sell. Then it should be a case of them all lopping their hats into the ring, and seeing which one Hooper likes the look of most.

urz_1871

by urz_1871 » 25 Jul 2013 10:13

Sky sources: Norwich agree fee with Celtic for Gary Hooper and striker will have medical today #SSN

LOL

1074 posts