Rumour - Charlie Austin

224 posts
Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Charlie Austin

by Mike Hunt » 09 Jul 2013 15:25

maffff
Sir Dodger Royal SDR notes that all three CShip Clubs promoted to Premier League are showing real ambition. Unlike RFC who screwed up or I dropped downnnnnnnnnn. Clueless. Get it sorted Squeaky.
y.

Looking at these signings from a Dodgeresque perspective if they had come to Reading.

Palace, signed Gayle and Dobbie. One a striker from a team relegated to League One, another a player that has never excelled at premier league level.

Hull, signed Boyd, from a team relegated to League One, Figueroa, who was a regular in a team relegated to the Championship and MacGregor who has spent the majority of his career at a club that spent last season in the Scottish Division 3 and then away in the wastelands of Turkey.

oxf*rd me if that's what you call ambition.

In Bridge, Drenthe and Williams [+ Pearce] I'd say that we've strengthened more than either of those clubs.

Cardiff, signed Cornelius, I'll give you that one. It might work, it might not. But as Dodger would say he's foreign and therefore useless. Real factsssssssssss

That is a tad over the top mate!

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 09 Jul 2013 15:34

Charlie Austin - What a reassuringly old fashioned British name in this increasingly unpronounceable exotic footballers' age.......sign him up.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jul 2013 15:44

Mike Hunt
maffff Hull, signed Boyd, from a team relegated to League One, Figueroa, who was a regular in a team relegated to the Championship and MacGregor who has spent the majority of his career at a club that spent last season in the Scottish Division 3 and then away in the wastelands of Turkey.

That is a tad over the top mate!

Try telling Dodger that!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 09 Jul 2013 15:46

Royalclapper Charlie Austin - What a reassuringly old fashioned British name in this increasingly unpronounceable exotic footballers' age.......sign him up.

How typical, the 'little old Reading' way again :wink:

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 16:23

stickywhisky
alfiesaywhat Very worth it. 28 goals in a season whilst sitting January and the last 4 games of the season out speaks for itself. To get promoted we need someone like him

F*ck off newbie :D
Not sure if you proof read that statement before sending it, but I agree with what you're trying to say.

What do you mean I didn't proof read it? Also for the record I had an account before I made this one, but forgot the user and password. Note to self: Always write them down haha

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 09 Jul 2013 16:27

Clearly is not one of our targets. Hull City were about to complete the deal, and there was no reports we had a bid rejected or accepted.

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 16:34

LoyalRoyalFan
alfiesaywhat To get promoted we need someone like him

It's not the be all and end all.

I just mean we need someone who scores 20+ goals a season. Don't get me wrong though, it is possible to get promoted without a prolific striker (look at Cardiff and Hull season past and us two seasons ago) but with Le Fondre seemingly unhappy playing a bit-part role (although a good player has excelled himself and is more effective when coming off the bench), Pogrebnyak not exactly proving himself last season and Roberts possibly but not definitely slightly past it due to injuries, I think Austin or someone like him would be an excellent investment. Blackman also needs a bit more experience before he will cut it as a 10-15 goals a season player.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 09 Jul 2013 17:46

alfiesaywhat
LoyalRoyalFan
alfiesaywhat To get promoted we need someone like him

It's not the be all and end all.

I just mean we need someone who scores 20+ goals a season.

Of the six guys who scored 20+ goals last season, only one got promoted.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2013 18:45

2010/11 - Long - 25 - Not promoted
2009/10 - Sigurdsson - 20 - Not Promoted
2005/06 - Kitson - 22 - Promoted
2000/01 - Cureton - 31 - Not Promoted
2000/01 - Butler - 28 - Not Promoted
1999/00 - Caskey - 23 - Not Promoted
1996/97 - Morley - 23 - Not Promoted

Perhaps we shouldn't want anyone to score 20+ goals on that showing. We didn't even finish in the top six in half of those seasons! :o

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 19:32

Ian Royal 2010/11 - Long - 25 - Not promoted

Perhaps we shouldn't want anyone to score 20+ goals on that showing. We didn't even finish in the top six in half of those seasons! :o

Very interesting stats, but I wouldn't quite say we'd have a better chance of getting promoted without a 20+ striker... The point I tried to get across was within our current squad, who is going to score the goals? I think a striker lik Austin would be a great addition as a striker who can convert the chances that the team create

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 09 Jul 2013 20:44

I don't trust any stats that a) haven't come from snowball and b) don't have a breakdown of their goals p/minute

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2013 21:37

alfiesaywhat

Very interesting stats, but I wouldn't quite say we'd have a better chance of getting promoted without a 20+ striker... The point I tried to get across was within our current squad, who is going to score the goals? I think a striker lik Austin would be a great addition as a striker who can convert the chances that the team create

If Pogrebnyak, Le Fondre & Robson-Kanu all play about 30+ games, I'd expect each to be pushing 15+ goals. McCleary and Kebe could pop a few in. Then the usual drizzle from the likes of McAnuff, Karacan, Pearce, Morrison, Guthrie etc.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 09 Jul 2013 21:47

Ian Royal
alfiesaywhat

If Pogrebnyak, Le Fondre & Robson-Kanu all play about 30+ games, I'd expect each to be pushing 15+ goals. McCleary and Kebe could pop a few in. Then the usual drizzle from the likes of McAnuff, Karacan, Pearce, Morrison, Guthrie etc.

More than the 70 goals we scored in 2011/12, that's for sure. I'm excited. I think Adkins may look to promote HRK to a striking role with McCleary featuring a lot more often on the wing (lord knows it's what they both deserve). That's what I'd hope, anyway.

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 22:13

Ian Royal
alfiesaywhat

Although Pogrebnyak is a hard-worker and impressed late December/January last season I doubt he will push 15 goals next season, although I do hope I'm wrong. I suppose we're yet to see if he stays... but do you not agree that we need one more striker after the departure of Hunt and Church to give more variety and depth to the striker's position in the squad? Someone like Long, Kitson, Doyle etc. In the current market I see those sort of players in the likes of Austin, Hooper (let's not get too hopeful on getting him), Rhodes (same again)

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 09 Jul 2013 22:14

Interesting stats but they show nothing. Look at all of the teams who have hammered promotion in all four divisions and see how many have one or two forwards who score 20 in a season. Having good forwards gives you a chance - having a good midfield and a great defence spells promotion.

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 22:22

FridaysGhost Interesting stats but they show nothing. Look at all of the teams who have hammered promotion in all four divisions and see how many have one or two forwards who score 20 in a season. Having good forwards gives you a chance - having a good midfield and a great defence spells promotion.

I see exactly where you're coming from and it is absolutely true that the quality of the strikers do not define a team, but I just think that looking at the current squad there is a space for a prolific, proven striker as although I am impressed with the quality of the rest of the team I am worried that the lack of a top forward may hinder our chances. Just my opinion

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2013 23:21

alfiesaywhat
Although Pogrebnyak is a hard-worker and impressed late December/January last season I doubt he will push 15 goals next season, although I do hope I'm wrong. I suppose we're yet to see if he stays... but do you not agree that we need one more striker after the departure of Hunt and Church to give more variety and depth to the striker's position in the squad? Someone like Long, Kitson, Doyle etc. In the current market I see those sort of players in the likes of Austin, Hooper (let's not get too hopeful on getting him), Rhodes (same again)

Depends. Adkins may see Robson-Kanu as an option upfront. He may think Blackman isn't utterly mediocre. He may intend to only play one striker. We're a little light if he intends to play two, there's not a lot of competition for Alf and Pog, but if they can stay fit and in form they should be the highest scoring partnership we've had since Curo and Butler.

I'm happy with our striking options as long as we don't lose anyone else, especially if we play one up with three behind. Another quality striker would be nice, but it's not essential on that basis.

alfiesaywhat

by alfiesaywhat » 09 Jul 2013 23:43

Ian Royal
alfiesaywhat

Depends. Adkins may see Robson-Kanu as an option upfront. He may think Blackman isn't utterly mediocre. He may intend to only play one striker. We're a little light if he intends to play two, there's not a lot of competition for Alf and Pog, but if they can stay fit and in form they should be the highest scoring partnership we've had since Curo and Butler.

I'm happy with our striking options as long as we don't lose anyone else, especially if we play one up with three behind. Another quality striker would be nice, but it's not essential on that basis.

I see where you're coming from, but I still think one more good striker would really confirm my faith in our chances. Definitely essential should Le Fondre or even Pog leave

jellytot

by jellytot » 10 Jul 2013 00:48

If he failed a medical we clearly should not touch him. We already have Roberts
And Kebe struggling for fitness we do not need another non player.

I think we have the threat up front to score plenty. Our problem last season was
That we failed to create enough. We probably created 1 or 2 good chances a game. That
Is a lot to ask of any striker. The question is will we create enough with our new squad and style
Under NA in the champs? I think we can. We need enough depth and i think we just about have it.

Keeping hrk is important plus we need Guthrie too.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 10 Jul 2013 10:22

jellytot If he failed a medical we clearly should not touch him. We already have Roberts
And Kebe struggling for fitness we do not need another non player.

I think we have the threat up front to score plenty. Our problem last season was
That we failed to create enough. We probably created 1 or 2 good chances a game. That
Is a lot to ask of any striker. The question is will we create enough with our new squad and style
Under NA in the champs? I think we can. We need enough depth and i think we just about have it.

Keeping hrk is important plus we need Guthrie too.

Given that I think Austin finished the season and scored a few goals, it would make me wonder if the problem was some sort of 'underlying' potential risk of injury or something that both sides agree to list as 'an expected occurrence.'

224 posts