Re: Rumour: Signing Nobody

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2014 15:19

Wise words young one.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Aug 2014 16:02

Ian Royal
LoyalRoyal22 ^^ you guys are seriously blinkered. How could they justify not spending the money from the Morrison deal :!:

New owners who will 'Fully support the manager' ....

The Cox fee was funded by the Antonio sell on clause. Mackie a loan, Ferdinand a free. It's fine by me if we are happy with mid table, but frustrating as we are only 2/3 short of being real promotion contenders.

If the right player is available for the right price we're quite happy to bring someone in. As you'd know if you'd actually read what we'd said.

I don't mind a season or two in midtable. It's perfectly acceptable. Especially if it means saving lots of money by bringing through the extremely promising Academy players we're developing and taking a shot at promotion with them in a couple of years. We've got a very good squad, it's just got a lot of injuries. We'll cope until they get fit at which point we won't really need much in the way of new players.

I'd rather spend cautiously and wisely. Than get as excited as a 9 year old who's just been given a tenner and spend it immediately on shite without any thought.

The money doesn't vanish if you don't instantly spend it. It all benefits the club. It doesn't have to spent on a transfer fee to do that.

From what has happened recently I would not be sure sure as you are that "The money doesn't vanish...."

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 17 Aug 2014 16:05

Ian Royal We're fine. A couple extra would be nice. We'll cope without.

Wait till January once the new owners are in and settled. Throwing money around now isn't the best way forward in the long term.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 17 Aug 2014 16:32

If it means we don't need to sell Drenthe then I'm happy

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Aug 2014 18:59

pea If it means we don't need to sell Drenthe then I'm happy

Let's also extend Kanu's contract by another 5 years. :cry:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2014 19:08

multisync1830

Wait till January once the new owners are in and settled. Throwing money around now isn't the best way forward in the long term.

January's never a good time to buy, but I'm quite happy with a policy of short term deals for more experienced players whilst we bring through the Academy lads.

Vic: you might want to think carefully before throwing around implications of fraud on a public forum.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Aug 2014 21:34

LoyalRoyal22 ^^ you guys are seriously blinkered. How could they justify not spending the money from the Morrison deal :!:

New owners who will 'Fully support the manager' ....

The Cox fee was funded by the Antonio sell on clause. Mackie a loan, Ferdinand a free. It's fine by me if we are happy with mid table, but frustrating as we are only 2/3 short of being real promotion contenders.

So you don't think a payment was made to secure the loan deal and that Forest pay 100% of his wages? And Ferdinand joined without a signing on fee did he? There is no such thing as a free transfer.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Aug 2014 21:39

3 more would be ideal

New CB, LB and Striker!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Aug 2014 21:47

Can someone tell me how 'We're not going to go round splashing the cash' = 'We're signing nobody' :?:

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Aug 2014 21:56

wouldn't be surprised if we use the loan window once the transfer window is done, then clubs know what Premier league players are surplus to requirements

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Aug 2014 22:29

3points wouldn't be surprised if we use the loan window once the transfer window is done, then clubs know what Premier league players are surplus to requirements

I'd be delighted with this. Given our Academy, short term signings to bolster the youth while they grow into the side aren't a bad thing

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 18 Aug 2014 11:36

I'd rather have Jem, Williams, McCleary back asap than new signings but obviously we know they'll be a few weeks. If we can maintain our decent start and keep up relatively good form by the time they return, I think we'd be a real threat regardless.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 18 Aug 2014 11:50

i agree

but cover in key positions would be nice

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 18 Aug 2014 19:44

leww_rfc I'd rather have Jem, Williams, McCleary back asap than new signings but obviously we know they'll be a few weeks. If we can maintain our decent start and keep up relatively good form by the time they return, I think we'd be a real threat regardless.

Don't think Williams will be back for a long time yet. On Saturday, I heard him tell another fan that it'll be months before he can play again. :(

Guthrie on the other hand, said he'd be back in a few weeks. So that's good. :)

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Aug 2014 19:52

Rollerbob
leww_rfc I'd rather have Jem, Williams, McCleary back asap than new signings but obviously we know they'll be a few weeks. If we can maintain our decent start and keep up relatively good form by the time they return, I think we'd be a real threat regardless.

Don't think Williams will be back for a long time yet. On Saturday, I heard him tell another fan that it'll be months before he can play again. :(

I saw him getting his photo taken with an elderly lady, was it her?

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 18 Aug 2014 21:47

Good thread

rfc58

by rfc58 » 19 Aug 2014 09:00

Depends on what the clubs real aspirations are for the season.

It's its to consolidate, and maybe have an outside chance of the play off's, I'd agree with your statement, but if it's to seriously position ourselves for promotion, then I think the squad isn't strong enough over the whole campaign.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2014 17:16

rfc58

Depends on what the clubs real aspirations are for the season.

It's its to consolidate, and maybe have an outside chance of the play off's, I'd agree with your statement, but if it's to seriously position ourselves for promotion, then I think the squad isn't strong enough over the whole campaign.

I think we'd be mental if we thought we're planning on a strong promotion push this season.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 20 Aug 2014 17:23

Was nobody actually means to be Craig Noone?

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 20 Aug 2014 17:26

i was going to start a new thread about this but i am interested in the seemingly change in transfer policy that has come this summer. ever since i have been following the club (2004ish) we would barely know when we were about to complete a transfer till it basically happened. now it seems we know about it from the early stages. it has started to progress to this since last summer with the signing of drenthe and williams. williams was the hoffenheim player that wasnt named until we released it but we still knew a bit about it before it was completed. drenthe on the other hand was speculated about for weeks. now adkins is talking about it very early in the negotiations as with all of our signings this summer have been. does anyone know why this sudden change?

141 posts