Rumour - Nick Hammond the new DOF at Crystal Palace?

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

Re: Rumour - Nick Hammond the new DOF at Crystal Palace?

by Only one Trevor Morley » 04 Jun 2015 09:22

Ever since the thais came in, and particularly since Clarke arrived, Hammonds profile has been a lot lower. I cant remember the last time I saw a quote from him. Nigel howe has suddenly started to be interviewed so I wonder if Hammond is being eased out.

A significant mistake in my opinion. Whilst our signings have been ok the vast amounts we have got for players who have not really gone on to do much more has been Hammonds legacy. The amount he got for Mills, Doyle, Hughes and Morrison was outstanding

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 Jun 2015 09:37

JamesWN This one has been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks. Palace Co-Owner currently looking for a new Director of Football. Apparently Steve Coppell is favorite with Nick Hammond second. Would drive him there if that's the case.

Which says significantly more about how stupid you are than it does about NH and his value to RFC. Is it half term?

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 04 Jun 2015 09:49

In most companies it is the Chief Executive that sets the tone for a firm, such as Blatter at FIFA, so would it be safe to assume that actually Nigel Howe as RFC's CE appointed by SJM in 1995 has over seen the affairs of RFC and that Hammond has been part of Howe's team. A Financial Director would normally be expected to urge caution on any monies spent, and rarely would have the final sign-off.

Change in moderation keeps things fresh with new people bringing experience and new ideas, but should not be at the expense of disturbing a relatively successful organisation. So Hammond moving on would be normal in business and someone would take over his current duties either from within or external.
Last edited by PeterReadingborn59 on 04 Jun 2015 12:30, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jun 2015 11:54

[quote="A significant mistake in my opinion. Whilst our signings have been ok the vast amounts we have got for players who have not really gone on to do much more has been Hammonds legacy. The amount he got for Mills, Doyle, Hughes and Morrison was outstanding[/quote]

Precisely. Anyone who could get 500K for Hippo Hughes is a genius, in my book.

What was is Warnock said about NH negotiating? It was like trying blood out of stone...or something like that. For a prick like Warnock to actually say something complimentary speaks volumes.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 04 Jun 2015 19:30

Coppelled_Streets Hammond is another big wage that we should let go, and he's hardly earned it this last few years. He should take some of the blame for these overinflated contracts he's handed out to bang everage players!

Clueless. Hope he goes to somewhere he is appreciated, that gives him some autonomy and sufficient access to funds to leverage deals and support the management like he did in the back half of the last decade.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 Jun 2015 15:04

SapperBRoyal
Coppelled_Streets Hammond is another big wage that we should let go, and he's hardly earned it this last few years. He should take some of the blame for these overinflated contracts he's handed out to bang everage players!

Clueless. Hope he goes to somewhere he is appreciated, that gives him some autonomy and sufficient access to funds to leverage deals and support the management like he did in the back half of the last decade.

He recieved a bumper new deal while Zingarevich was throwing money around that we didn't have. He is still on that bumper deal - why should he be exempt from the cull when we need to get the wage bill down? In our current financial state, can we justify a DoF at all? I'd argue no. Clarke is very hands on. Leave it to him - the old fashioned way!

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jun 2015 15:11

But unlike most at the club he can actually make the club money

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 05 Jun 2015 16:20

Coppelled_Streets
SapperBRoyal

He recieved a bumper new deal while Zingarevich was throwing money around that we didn't have. He is still on that bumper deal - why should he be exempt from the cull when we need to get the wage bill down? In our current financial state, can we justify a DoF at all? I'd argue no. Clarke is very hands on. Leave it to him - the old fashioned way!

His contract was up around when TSI arrived, and even they realised allowing him to ship out was reckless at best. His new contract was quite possibly good money, it is meant to incentivise the prospect of him not walking away to another club despite the uncertainty of a change in our direction under AZ. Would you have stayed on under worse contractural terms and promises (which were later emptied out). You are of course entitled to your opinion - let's make another 'bold' move and leave it to Clarke, what could possibly go wrong?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 Jun 2015 16:25

How would you evaluate Hammond's performance since that new deal when Zingarevich came in? It's the most disappointing period of his DoF career IMO. It certaainly doesn't justify the wages to keep him here.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 05 Jun 2015 17:24

Coppelled_Streets How would you evaluate Hammond's performance since that new deal when Zingarevich came in? It's the most disappointing period of his DoF career IMO. It certaainly doesn't justify the wages to keep him here.

Er, yeah, if you look at it completely out of any context whatsoever.

Great fee for Morrison, good fees for Kebe, Mariappa, and Le Fondre, respectable one for McCarthy.

The vast majority of our senior signings were at least good enough. The exceptions I can think of: Gunter, Blackman, Akpan.

Then FFP really bit and we had to sign the duffers: Yakubu, Knight, Aké, Appiah, Travner.

Yes, we paid a few wages beyond our means - but they were only beyond our means because Zingarevich lied about what his means were. The wages we paid were completely appropriate for the calibre of player we were signing, we just shouldn't have been going for them in the first place.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jun 2015 17:44

Coppelled_Streets
SapperBRoyal

Yeah, lets get rid of the guy with a proven track record of quality and rely on the guy with out one.

I spose it's a step up from getting rid of the people with proven track records and just hoping you'll be able to get around to replacing them at some point.

SapperBRoyal

by SapperBRoyal » 05 Jun 2015 23:46

Coppelled_Streets How would you evaluate Hammond's performance since that new deal when Zingarevich came in? It's the most disappointing period of his DoF career IMO. It certaainly doesn't justify the wages to keep him here.

Fair enough. Disappointing how though? In that with very little in terms of finance, a misfiring team and board room turbulence (including owners who want to bring their own players in) he has not managed to conjure up the sort of signings and sales we would hope for? I think we're all underwhelmed with the overall situation, but I would argue that we've done some decent business as well as a couple of stop gaps and cut price punts that haven't really come off. I do find it surprising you've concluded things going south since AZ's arrival is, of all possible explanations, down to NH's form dipping.