mariappa

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

Re: mariappa

by Maneki Neko » 27 Apr 2016 14:19

think the sheer extra volume artificially inflates the numbers on the Brian out side of things tbh

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 27 Apr 2016 14:34

Maneki Neko think the sheer extra volume artificially inflates the numbers on the Brian out side of things tbh

What do you mean? No comprendo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2016 15:25

Maneki Neko think the sheer extra volume artificially inflates the numbers on the Brian out side of things tbh

Yeah I'm not sure what you mean there.

From the Reading fans I know, both around me at the ground and people I've known for many years, a fair proportion of those aren't supportive of McDermott. I'd even go so far as to say the majority of them I've spoken to over the last month or so aren't behind him (not calling for his head, but aren't at all positive about his appointment or future).

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 27 Apr 2016 15:56

There are a fair few fence sitters like me.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 27 Apr 2016 16:12

I am still on the happy Brian is back side, I think it comes down to what you want, I am happy being a club flirting with the prem with a manager that cares about the club and puts as much as he can in to it. You dont get much better than Brian there. Then there are others who just want us to buy our way to the prem be the best team in the world and have a manager who doesn't care about reading just how big the paycheck is at the end of the month. It all really depends on what your ethos is. I am happy being a Reading Fc supporter supporting Reading Fc. not a Reading Fc supporter that is not happy till Reading fc are the next Man City/Chelsea. If you are that kind of supporter this is the door you may as well leave now because you are going to be disapointed for a very very long time and all you are going to do is moan on here about it.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Apr 2016 17:06

Hoop Blah

those in the screechy and reactionary - manager out- lets make a banner-lets boo our own team- camp tend to be the most strident and loud in expressing their views. Theyre the ones that phone up the radio stations and start threads on FB/Twitter groups etc.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Apr 2016 17:20

Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

those in the screechy and reactionary - manager out- lets make a banner-lets boo our own team- camp tend to be the most strident and loud in expressing their views. Theyre the ones that phone up the radio stations and start threads on FB/Twitter groups etc.

I would suggest that they are more than the 1% that Top Flight believes.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 27 Apr 2016 17:38

fair enough

but it is definitely true that those with the gripes are always going to voice it more often and louder than those who are vaguely happy for the status quo to continue.

muirinho
Hob Nob Regular

by muirinho » 27 Apr 2016 17:40

Victor Meldrew
Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

Agreed, I'd say somewhere between 30 and 40% Personally, I'm in the - I'm not going to judge till he's had at least a season - camp. I like Brian. But I like my gran too, and she'd be a terrible appointment. Liking isn't enough.

Jano

by Jano » 27 Apr 2016 18:42

Failed in the Prem? Thought he was one of our better players to be honest.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2016 21:24

Maneki Neko fair enough

but it is definitely true that those with the gripes are always going to voice it more often and louder than those who are vaguely happy for the status quo to continue.

Oh I'd certainly agree on the vocalness those with firm opinions, especially in the world of social media (election thread cross over of course) but I'm talking as much, if not more, about the Reading fans I'm talking with in the real world over the last month or so.

I'm actually quite surprised how many are anti-McDermott, although there's an element of dissatisfaction with the whole club that probably enhances those feelings.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2016 21:59

Brian supporters are like shy Tories. Or rather, Anti_Bri turnips are like Bacon Sarnie boy's fans on twitter.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 28 Apr 2016 13:38

Jano Failed in the Prem? Thought he was one of our better players to be honest.

true

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Apr 2016 18:48

Victor Meldrew
Maneki Neko
Hoop Blah

I think they're actually less than 1%. It's probably around 0.78887%

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Apr 2016 19:01

muirinho
Victor Meldrew
Maneki Neko

Agreed, I'd say somewhere between 30 and 40% Personally, I'm in the - I'm not going to judge till he's had at least a season - camp. I like Brian. But I like my gran too, and she'd be a terrible appointment. Liking isn't enough.

We didn't appoint Brian because he is likable and we like him. Personally, I don't like him. We appointed him because he is an outstanding manager. Let's remember his track record...

1 Championship title
3 FA CUP Quarter Finals including one, THIS SEASON.
1 Play-Off Final

All of this despite being forced to sell top players, window after window after window. In his current appointment with us, in his first window he has already lost Blackman and Orlando Sa. This didn't stop us progressing to the Cup Quarter Final. This summer he will lose many more. Already gone are Hector and Piazon and soon joining them out the door will be Vydra, Ola John, Fernandez, possibly Robson Kanu, Possibly Williams, Norwood, Obita.

Anyone who says that Brian is tactically inept is pretty inept themselves. You don't have Brian's track record by being inept especially when managing in the circumstances that Brian has managed in. You don't win League titles with a selling club like Reading when you are tactically inept. It was a tactical masterclass from Brian to overcome with inferior players that wily old fox Tony Pulis in the FA CUP 5th round this season.

Brian is not tactically inept. He works miracles with inferior players, in difficult circumstances, with challenging finances and difficult owners.

He is BY FAR AND AWAY the BEST man for the Reading FC managers job. He succeeded where Brendan Rogers failed and he will succeed again where Adkins and Clarke have failed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Apr 2016 21:51

Can you name a manager in the Championship (or even the Premier League) who doesn't end up having to sell their best players and evolve their squad accordingly?

There are also lots of managers who have to deal with circumstances such as those McDermott has operated in, this season and previously.

He really isn't the messiah, although he is a decent enough manager, albeit not a particularly creative one.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Apr 2016 22:45

So glad this thread has turned into another McD in or out fest.

FWIW on Mariappa, it would be a yes from me.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Apr 2016 09:36

Hoop Blah Can you name a manager in the Championship (or even the Premier League) who doesn't end up having to sell their best players and evolve their squad accordingly?

There are also lots of managers who have to deal with circumstances such as those McDermott has operated in, this season and previously.

He really isn't the messiah, although he is a decent enough manager, albeit not a particularly creative one.

What does that even mean, not a particularly creative one? There is no substance to your argument. Oh McDermott is not creative.

Yes there are lots of managers that have to deal with circumstances such as those McDermott has operated in, but did they achieve 1 Championship title, 3 FA CUP Quarter Finals and a Play-off final in spite of those circumstances? They probably sunk into mid table obscurity or got relegated.

McDermott is an absolute legend. Only 1 of 2 men that have guided Reading to promotion to the top division of English football since 1871. That doesn't seem to lack creativity as far as I'm concerned.

McDermott might be a good bloke but he is also a damn fine manager.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 29 Apr 2016 11:23

Hoop Blah Can you name a manager in the Championship (or even the Premier League) who doesn't end up having to sell their best players and evolve their squad accordingly?

im not sure there are a vast amount of clubs(at least not above us) who have had to sell their best players so regularly.
we hardly even get a season out of them now before they go.

though I agree- all clubs are selling clubs if the right club comes calling.

and im also not aware of many clubs who were taken over by a charlatan, had their finances completely ruined, have him run off when relegated leaving them in the total shit, have a manager who has to build something on nothing, with only player sales financing those rebuilds, who gets sacked, and replaced with another manager who decides to completely rip up the squad, get rid of anyone with grit and heart, and replace em with shit loanees and leave the squad almost entirely full of shite false 9s, and wingers who think theyre strikers etc, then he goes too and we sell our best two strikers in January and another new manager is then expected to take the team to the play offs.
again, at least not above us in the leagues.

I also massively dispute any lack of creativity in management from him. that's more lazy bullshit. imo

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 29 Apr 2016 12:57

Back on topic (is it me or are a lot of threads morphing into the same discussions about Brian?) I also liked his (Mariappa's) song