Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

229 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Transfer deadline day rumours in's and out's

by NathStPaul » 31 Aug 2021 12:49

JimmytheJim
Woodcote Royal
NathStPaul For those expressing shock and despair I would like to know what you were hoping for? We are limited in what we can pay and there are only so many available strikers out there. You can't all beg for signings and then turn your nose up at a proven goalscorer like Andy Carroll. Yes he is injury prone but he will be getting paid 8.5k a week and it will be a season long deal. We can't really lose.

Couldn’t agree more

A goal hanging, barely mobile Carroll will score more than Puscus on his own up front.

Not if he's crocked.

Half fit Andy Carroll offers more than a fully fit Puscas. If Andy Carroll plays in our next game and wins 1 aerial battle he would have done more than Puscas in the previous 4 games.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 31 Aug 2021 12:57

Tottenham reach agreement with Barcelona for €30m Emerson Royal

Spurs may now have Emerson Royal but we have Ian Royal (any relation?)

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Aug 2021 13:01

Woodcote Royal
A goal hanging, barely mobile Carroll will score more than Puscus on his own up front.

Not with the service we currently provide he wont. Not many strikers score from 60 yards with their back to the goal.

With the right service, Carroll will score. Like most strikers he comes alive near the 18 yard box. As would Puscas.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2021 13:04

blythspartan There’s a lot of hostility on Twitter about our new signings. I understand that they’re aren’t everyone’s first choice but given our current predicament I am not sure what people are expecting tbh.

Because they live in Cloud Cuckoo Land without fully understanding our predicament and it’s implications.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Aug 2021 13:09

Coppells Lost Coat
Woodcote Royal

Not with the service we currently provide he wont. Not many strikers score from 60 yards with their back to the goal.

With the right service, Carroll will score. Like most strikers he comes alive near the 18 yard box. As would Puscas.

I don't think I've ever seen Puscas win a header, so that's something that Carroll brings, for a start. Will also be able to hold the ball up. As I've said before, Puscas is the smallest 6ft+ bloke I've ever seen.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 31 Aug 2021 13:20

My expectations for today are as follows:

Moore leaves
One of Swift / Laurent leaves
Tetek goes on loan
One striker in, possibly two but with Puscas also leaving on that basis

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Aug 2021 13:26

Coppells Lost Coat
Woodcote Royal

Yes, even with the current service. That’s the point.

Carroll is far more likely to make something of a hopeful punt upfield even if it’s to ensure it’s not just returned with interest.

After all this he’ll probably end the day at Plymouth Argyle with a free beach hut and surfboard thrown in :P

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 Aug 2021 13:35

Woodcote Royal
Coppells Lost Coat
Woodcote Royal

Yes, even with the current service. That’s the point.

Carroll is far more likely to make something of a hopeful punt upfield even if it’s to ensure it’s not just returned with interest.

After all this he’ll probably end the day at Plymouth Argyle with a free beach hut and surfboard thrown in :P

Think the current service is appalling and is out of Big Sams playbook, its easy to defend against and ugly. Since we have adopted that approach early last year, we have been utter dreadful. But sure lets continue with it.......
However if we were to get down the wings and cross Carroll is the ideal man and also another huge threat from set pieces both ends of the pitch.
FYI i am liking the idea of signing Carroll, just dont like the style of play I can envisage us playing him in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Aug 2021 13:45

We've signed one out and out winger and another player who can cut in off the right and put in dangerous crosses - assuming Swift is here tomorrow, we have him as well as Halilovic capable of putting in the sort of dead balls a target man would love.

Carroll is also much better on the deck then people give him credit for. Only question mark is fitness, not talent.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 31 Aug 2021 13:50

I'd not be too disappointed if Laurent departed for £2.5m. As long as don't loan Tetek out, I think he'd get some game time here.

I'd be a bit more sad if we lost Holmes though, although he's replaceable too.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2021 13:54

Carroll has played

22 games last season
21 games the season before
18/19 14 games
17/18 18 games
16/17 22 games
15/16 32 games

i see no reason why we could get 20 games out of him this season which should be enough until Joao is back.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 31 Aug 2021 13:59

Just catching up on the thread, Andy Carroll hasn't actually signed yet has he ?

Personally, I hope he does. And would now be dissappointed if he didn't.

Any confirmation yet ??

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2021 14:03

Barney Just catching up on the thread, Andy Carroll hasn't actually signed yet has he ?

Any confirmation yet ??

Not yet, but he’s out of contract so can be signed after the window has closed. It was reported earlier that the efl say we need one out to get one in. If that’s true then I guess we are still time limited in that we need to get rid of someone before the window slams shut.

Barney
Hob Nob Regular

by Barney » 31 Aug 2021 14:09

Brogue
Barney Just catching up on the thread, Andy Carroll hasn't actually signed yet has he ?

Any confirmation yet ??

Not yet, but he’s out of contract so can be signed after the window has closed. It was reported earlier that the efl say we need one out to get one in. If that’s true then I guess we are still time limited in that we need to get rid of someone before the window slams shut.

Much appreciated Brogue. Hope we get him on board is my view.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 31 Aug 2021 14:14

Pepe the Horseman
Coppells Lost Coat
Woodcote Royal

I don't think I've ever seen Puscas win a header, so that's something that Carroll brings, for a start. Will also be able to hold the ball up. As I've said before, Puscas is the smallest 6ft+ bloke I've ever seen.

ANDY CARROLL IS IN THE HOTEL :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 Aug 2021 14:16

TBM
Pepe the Horseman
Coppells Lost Coat

ANDY CARROLL IS IN THE HOTEL :shock:

Tom McIntyre looks shocked to see him.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 31 Aug 2021 14:24

LOOks like Carroll has really overdone the sun beds recently....

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 31 Aug 2021 14:37

Nameless LOOks like Carroll has really overdone the sun beds recently....

LOL

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 Aug 2021 14:54

Brogue Carroll has played

22 games last season
18/19 14 games

Only 13 of those appearances were for more than 45 mins.

Maybe ~£10k a week is good value for someone to play the final 10 minutes of 15 games a season these days, I don't know anymore.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 31 Aug 2021 14:59

Simon's Church
Brogue Carroll has played

22 games last season
18/19 14 games

Only 13 of those appearances were for more than 45 mins.

Maybe ~£10k a week is good value for someone to play the final 10 minutes of 15 games a season these days, I don't know anymore.

But the point is he was fit and available for them games. He didn’t get on because they had better options. He only had the one injury last season a calf injury that kept him out for 19 days. We are not going to be asking him to work the chanels or chase lost causes. His role will be to stand front and centre and win the headers He’s still only 32. I think there is life in the old dog yet.

And 8.5k x 52 weeks is only 442k that’s a relatively modest outlay. Especially in today’s market.

Put it like this
Carroll - 8.5k pw
Dann - 8.5k pw
Drinkwater -8.5k pw
Rahman -8.5k pw
^ all of them are on less than Moore wages per week combined.

229 posts