George Puscas leaving?

791 posts
Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: George Puscas leaving?

by Jackson Corner » 07 May 2023 09:33

The worst player I have seen with his back to goal. Being striker isn’t just goals it’s holding the ball bringing others in to the game, like Trevor senior and Dave Kitson we’re so good at. Every time we played the ball up to him he would lose it, his first touch was so poor.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 07 May 2023 14:23

Jackson Corner The worst player I have seen with his back to goal. Being striker isn’t just goals it’s holding the ball bringing others in to the game, like Trevor senior and Dave Kitson we’re so good at. Every time we played the ball up to him he would lose it, his first touch was so poor.

I was with you right up to the Trevor Senior bit
Jimmy Quinn I’d have given you, but Trevor, brilliant goalscorer that he was, wasn’t the hold the ball up type

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 21 Jun 2023 09:48

gone

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 21 Jun 2023 10:30

Took long enough for the club to announce it

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Jun 2023 10:52

Not sure why they felt the need to tell us the transfer will be paid in installments - every transfer I'd have thought is structured this way.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2023 11:03

RG30 Not sure why they felt the need to tell us the transfer will be paid in installments - every transfer I'd have thought is structured this way.

Rules in L1 define that when a transfer is paid it can be included in the turnover calcs for that year. In the Champ, we could have put €4m in to this years FFP but if it is paid across 3 years, we can only include say €1.5m this year.

So just confirming to people, hey, we don't suddenly have €4m we can spend.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 21 Jun 2023 11:43

Stranded
RG30 Not sure why they felt the need to tell us the transfer will be paid in installments - every transfer I'd have thought is structured this way.

Rules in L1 define that when a transfer is paid it can be included in the turnover calcs for that year. In the Champ, we could have put €4m in to this years FFP but if it is paid across 3 years, we can only include say €1.5m this year.

So just confirming to people, hey, we don't suddenly have €4m we can spend.

Will we also not be paying off the "last year" of his contract in the accounting books? So he had 1 year left to run on his deal where we originally paid £7.5m (or whatever the figure was) we still have £1.5m to come off our accounting figures for the next 12 months?

So if it is the case where we can only include £1.5m (or Euro's, whatever the currency is) into this year's figures, from an FFP perspective, we will have "broke even" for this year? But as of next year, that will go down as £1.5m (or Euro's) profit?

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 21 Jun 2023 11:57

I still think we missed a trick with Puscas. The flashes of his talent we saw were enough to show there was a good player in there, but we never played enough to his strengths to get the best out of him. Hope he does well back in Italy.

Always thought it was iroinic that the last game he played for us (I am pretty sure) was at home against Huddersfield when he was up top with Joao. He scored, got an assist and played really well - he looked like a new signing. Then he went out on loan the next day and we never saw him play for us again.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Jun 2023 23:44

JedMaxwell I still think we missed a trick with Puscas. The flashes of his talent we saw were enough to show there was a good player in there, but we never played enough to his strengths to get the best out of him. Hope he does well back in Italy.

Always thought it was iroinic that the last game he played for us (I am pretty sure) was at home against Huddersfield when he was up top with Joao. He scored, got an assist and played really well - he looked like a new signing. Then he went out on loan the next day and we never saw him play for us again.

Not quite true, played the week after at QPR (subsequently subbed at half time whilst 3-0 down)

Just don’t think he was good enough. Think that was evident after his first few months. He had a stronger couple of months each side of lockdown but all in all didn’t have the touch, intelligence, pace, movement, strength or clinical nature to stand out. You mention that we “never played to his strengths”, and to some extent, it may be true but in all honesty, it’s a struggle to list anything he was particularly good at - aside from perhaps a good penalty taker

It wasn’t all his fault but he was a waste of time, money and resources

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jun 2023 20:59

Bad signing rather than a bad player.

Pretty sure we were linked to him when Stam was here.

JedMaxwell

by JedMaxwell » 26 Jun 2023 08:14

URZZZZ
JedMaxwell I still think we missed a trick with Puscas. The flashes of his talent we saw were enough to show there was a good player in there, but we never played enough to his strengths to get the best out of him. Hope he does well back in Italy.

Not quite true, played the week after at QPR (subsequently subbed at half time whilst 3-0 down)

Just don’t think he was good enough. Think that was evident after his first few months. He had a stronger couple of months each side of lockdown but all in all didn’t have the touch, intelligence, pace, movement, strength or clinical nature to stand out. You mention that we “never played to his strengths”, and to some extent, it may be true but in all honesty, it’s a struggle to list anything he was particularly good at - aside from perhaps a good penalty taker

It wasn’t all his fault but he was a waste of time, money and resources

Ah, got my dates mixed up. Last time I saw him play was the game I mentioned in that case.

I do think his movement was quite clever, but in a system where you're the only striker and have very little support coming from wide or midfield you need to be a different type of player to Puscas. You're right - he didn't have the pace or touch to really be a lone number 9, but I think his combination play in tight spaces was something we never got the best of.

There was just never a system which suited him very well and in the end moving on is the best for him and, crucially, the club.

791 posts