New GK

541 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New GK

by paultheroyal » 31 May 2022 14:45

Begovic is out of contract - he is local to the area, focusing on his business interests. At £10k a week he might come.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 14:54

Good shot stoppers are a dime a dozen, would be happy with a Begovic or Foster for a year for some much needed experience.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 31 May 2022 14:55

Get big Dave Beasant back in as coach IMO

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 14:56

Amen. No coincidence that the whole club has gone to shit since he left.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 May 2022 15:13

Begovic was apparently on £45k a week at Everton. He was previously on £70k a week at Bournemouth. I think we'd struggle to afford him.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 15:19

From Despair To Where? Begovic was apparently on £45k a week at Everton. He was previously on £70k a week at Bournemouth. I think we'd struggle to afford him.

I was gonna say he'll struggle to get anything close to that at his age, but he's still only 34. Thought he was more like 38.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 31 May 2022 15:29

A top class keeper gains you 15 points a season, i think when Southwood started he gained us about 5....then lost us 5. Then got dropped.

Smithies would be ideal, been in the league for a while I feel he still has something to prove. Foster, there is something very unlikeable about him and I cant put my finger on it.
If its purely a financial decision then fair enough, we can probably get a decent loan / free on similar money as him and pocket the much needed transfer fee. It doesn't sit right with me as I think Southwood with the right manager would have got over his blip and made the spot his own but hey ho.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 31 May 2022 15:31

Coppells Lost Coat It doesn't sit right with me as I think Southwood with the right manager would have got over his blip and made the spot his own but hey ho.

Maybe if he was 20-21 you could say he'd improve a lot but at 24 and not making the first team spot his yet I'm not so sure.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 15:40

From Despair To Where? Begovic was apparently on £45k a week at Everton. He was previously on £70k a week at Bournemouth. I think we'd struggle to afford him.

Players' wages do tend to drop as they get older and drop a division as well.

Look at Carroll as the prime example. Reported to be earning £1k with us short-term, then moved to WBA for around £10k. Undoubtedly he'd have been earning 3, 4, 5 etc times that amount for Newcastle, West Ham etc in the PL.

I'm not sold on Begovic to be honest, think he was the weakest starting GK in the PL when he was at Bournemouth, but proved be an experienced understudy at Chelsea and Everton. Reminds me of Nyland actually, a good, solid GK to have as your squad goalkeeper, yet never looks convincing as your starting GK.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 15:55

YorkshireRoyal99

Look at Carroll as the prime example. Reported to be earning £1k with us short-term, then moved to WBA for around £10k. Undoubtedly he'd have been earning 3, 4, 5 etc times that amount for Newcastle, West Ham etc in the PL.

I'm not sold on Begovic to be honest, think he was the weakest starting GK in the PL when he was at Bournemouth, but proved be an experienced understudy at Chelsea and Everton. Reminds me of Nyland actually, a good, solid GK to have as your squad goalkeeper, yet never looks convincing as your starting GK.

Don't think the two are remotely comparable. He played 160 times for Stoke and over 100 times for Bournemouth, and was one of the best keepers in the league last season. Nyland on the other hand has managed 41 games in England, 10 of which were for us.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 31 May 2022 16:09

I’d be happy with Foster or a loan deal for someone like Zack Steffen at Man City. USA, USA, USA.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 16:50

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99

Don't think the two are remotely comparable. He played 160 times for Stoke and over 100 times for Bournemouth, and was one of the best keepers in the league last season. Nyland on the other hand has managed 41 games in England, 10 of which were for us.

Begovic? I've found him unconvincing ever since his move from Chelsea. He was shipped out to Qarabag and AC Milan in 2019 until they were relegated. Had a decent enough season in the Championship, but Nyland has also been decent enough in the Championship.

I think Begovic's best seasons came when he was at Stoke, I think he's been on a downward trajectory since then, but opinions differ.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 31 May 2022 17:06

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99

Begovic? I've found him unconvincing ever since his move from Chelsea. He was shipped out to Qarabag and AC Milan in 2019 until they were relegated. Had a decent enough season in the Championship, but Nyland has also been decent enough in the Championship.

I think Begovic's best seasons came when he was at Stoke, I think he's been on a downward trajectory since then, but opinions differ.

Yeh, 15 clean sheets last season (as in 20/21) and Bournemouth's runner up POTY.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 31 May 2022 17:09

Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman Don't think the two are remotely comparable. He played 160 times for Stoke and over 100 times for Bournemouth, and was one of the best keepers in the league last season. Nyland on the other hand has managed 41 games in England, 10 of which were for us.

Yeh, 15 clean sheets last season (as in 20/21) and Bournemouth's runner up POTY.

Fair enough runners up POTY, which is good but not great, but I wouldn't judge based off clean sheets either simply because of the team he is playing in and their position in the league.

It might just be my view, but I've not thought he's been that good since he's moved from Chelsea. Basing it just off fleeting appearances that I've seen though e.g. when they lost 3-1 vs ourselves and he was poor that day, but then again so were Bournemouth, so maybe a bit of both. Naturally someone "should" be better at a worse standard I suppose.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 31 May 2022 17:11

Begovic is plenty good enough for us. Utter madness that anyone would question that.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 31 May 2022 17:54

YorkshireRoyal99
Pepe the Horseman
YorkshireRoyal99

Fair enough runners up POTY, which is good but not great, but I wouldn't judge based off clean sheets either simply because of the team he is playing in and their position in the league.

That’s a fair point… except Begovic made 118 saves that season, only one behind the joint league leaders. It wasn’t like he had nothing to do.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 31 May 2022 18:37

Mr Angry I think your supposition is the more likely Stranded; but not knowing exactly what constraints he is under due to our financial situation, anything is possible.

Indeed.

With Moore, Joao, Meite, Puscas and Ejaria still currently on the books that's probably close to half our budget right there ~£5m ish.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 05 Jun 2022 18:47

Watching the Wales v Ukraine game. I wonder if Wayne Hennessey might be an option for next season? I know he has a mistake in him but I'm sure he'd be looking for first team football in the lead up to the World Cup.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Jun 2022 20:49

NathStPaul Watching the Wales v Ukraine game. I wonder if Wayne Hennessey might be an option for next season? I know he has a mistake in him but I'm sure he'd be looking for first team football in the lead up to the World Cup.

I thought the same. I've never been his biggest fan but can't argue with his form at International level even if his club-level appearances have been restricted. Would not argue with any sort of experienced goalkeeper between the sticks for another season that is/was in a Championship team or higher.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Jun 2022 21:09

I have seen Hennessey many times for Wales and can only remember one really poor mistake that cost a goal and it didn’t matter as we won 4-1. He has been ultra reliable for Wales and will certainly want regular football in the coming months. A decent and affordable option.

541 posts