541 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New GK

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Aug 2023 12:30

NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal :lol:

The same Southwood that got good reviews and kept 16 cleansheets last season. And had good games in the Championship?

Or Andresson who has played at L1 level and done ok?

Face it, you think this guy would be an improvement based solely on him having been on Utd's books and because he isn’t one of our players.

It's got nothing to do with who he has played for previously, obviously not just me who shares the opinion either, considering we are looking to sign him.

Andresson has played how many games at L1 level? 3? That's what you're judging him on? That's you saying he's good enough?

Yeah Southwood did that well he managed to get a move back to Cheltenham after his release, the bottom half of L1, must have been some cracking reviews. :lol:

You really are a complete idiot at times.

Southwood did well enough to earn a permanent move to a League 1 side and be their first choice keeper. What is the issue with that exactly? He did extremely well last season and in hindsight we are idiots for letting him go.

The issue being he isn't good enough for us, so why should we be disappointed to lose him? He's gone to a club in the same division but fighting at the completely opposite end to where we want to be. Can't be looking that foolish if he did well enough to go back to exactly the same place he was at, if he was as good as what people think, he wouldn't be there. But nobody ever admits that because he's a local lad.

But yeah, pardon my idiocy for not wanting us to keep a goalkeeper who still isn't good enough for us.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2023 12:34

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Because the 3 goalkeepers we have are probably L2 level, this guy likely isn't.

If we're going off stats like you have, you wanted to keep a goalkeeper whose level is bottom half of the current division we are in and conceded 21 league goals in a calendar month. Would you say that's a fair assessment of Luke Southwood?

:lol:

The same Southwood that got good reviews and kept 16 cleansheets last season. And had good games in the Championship?

Face it, you think this guy would be an improvement based solely on him having been on Utd's books and because he isn’t one of our players.

It's got nothing to do with who he has played for previously, obviously not just me who shares the opinion either, considering we are looking to sign him.

Andresson has played how many games at L1 level? 3? That's what you're judging him on? That's you saying he's good enough?

Yeah Southwood did that well he managed to get a move back to Cheltenham after his release, the bottom half of L1, must have been some cracking reviews. :lol:

Andresson has about 5 times that many games at L1 level, plus cup games against higher opposition.

Clueless aren’t you. Can't even explain why you rate someone.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Aug 2023 12:37

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal :lol:

Andresson has about 5 times that many games at L1 level, plus cup games against higher opposition.

Clueless aren’t you. Can't even explain why you rate someone.

I literally just did, but I'll spell it out for you. If our recruitment team, which everyone also trusts so much including yourself, believes this guy is better than what we've already got, then I'd back that as well.

Sorry, 16 L1 games, for teams at the bottom, my mistake he's obviously ready.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2023 12:41

If I wanted the club's opinion, I'd ask it.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Aug 2023 12:45

Jesus Christ - this makes grim reading.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2023 12:48

Keeper stats I saw last season would suggest Cheltenham kept 16 clean sheets thanks to a strong defence, not Southwood, judging a goalkeeper based on clean sheets alone has always been a poor metric since it is an overall defensive effort.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2023 12:57

tidus_mi2 Keeper stats I saw last season would suggest Cheltenham kept 16 clean sheets thanks to a strong defence, not Southwood, judging a goalkeeper based on clean sheets alone has always been a poor metric since it is an overall defensive effort.

It's only part of the pucture of course, but it's a very good start. You don't keep 16 clean sheets as a bottom half side without the keeper being good. Their defence still conceded shots.

Not that I was the one who brought him up or thinks he's relevant to our current keeping situation.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Aug 2023 13:42

leon Jesus Christ - this makes grim reading.

You must be new here, etc...

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2023 14:22

There is a Virginia on Everton books - always passed out on loan, he be worth a look!!

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2023 15:42

The GK situation confuses me at the best of times. We always seem to have capable youngsters who don’t really get a chance and move on. And we’ve not really had a good one since AAH - suppose Rafael and Mannone were ok but nothing special and not worth their big wages

Southwood looked reasonable to me. So does Jokull. But looks like we’re shipping/shipped both out in favour of either Button or this other lad whose barely played a first team game

Would like to say I trust our scouting but we haven’t really got it right since AAH - and don’t think he was even signed to be first choice

Anyway sounds like the Button deal is now back on

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 07 Aug 2023 15:47

I'm ok with Button. Doesn't seem like a step up from Lumley, but he's got shit loads of experience and on paper is a much better option than Pereira. Also at an age where he's not gonna block the young keepers coming through if they're good enough.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Aug 2023 15:58

So either Time NicebutDim was way off with Periera or we are signing them both and shipping Bouzanis out - if CBC is about to sign a new deal then Andressen too - or both young keepers off on loan.

Would say GK recruitment does seem a mess but Button appears to have been the preferred target all the long.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Aug 2023 16:09

Was thinking this at the weekend - must be tough (or not) for Tony Warner. GK's have their own group, pact etc - they must build up bonds etc. Warner probably has the final say, so basically it is he who is saying the young ones are not ready and Bouzanis is clearly not good enough at this level. All the changes etc - cant help the cadmaraderie between them all.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2023 16:13

paultheroyal Was thinking this at the weekend - must be tough (or not) for Tony Warner. GK's have their own group, pact etc - they must build up bonds etc. Warner probably has the final say, so basically it is he who is saying the young ones are not ready and Bouzanis is clearly not good enough at this level. All the changes etc - cant help the cadmaraderie between them all.

We're in a bad place if we've determined that our 3 current options aren't good enough, CBC to be fair still has time to develop, only turned 20 earlier this year but he is getting to the age where he should be making his breakthrough.

I can see with this situation in mind why they chose to not offer Southwood a contract, if they truly are after a keeper who is comfortable with the ball at their feet, Southwood has never struck me as a ball-playing keeper so you'd just end up with 3 keepers that don't fit the preferred style, so you off-load the one who is out of contract.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Aug 2023 16:22

I’d expect Button to be adequate. Can’t say I know too much of him but the Twitter crew seem to be judging him on last season alone

Certainly got the experience

But I don’t see loads wrong with Bouzanis or Jokull either really.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Aug 2023 16:28

Button has been horrific every time I've seen him live. On that basis it is a firm no from me but I take the point about his experience.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 07 Aug 2023 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2023 16:34

NathStPaul Button has been horrific every time see him live. On that basis it is a firm no from me but I take the point about his experience.

I suppose we can only hope we get the Button of Brentford and Fulham.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 07 Aug 2023 16:44

YorkshireRoyal99
NathStPaul
YorkshireRoyal99

You really are a complete idiot at times.

Southwood did well enough to earn a permanent move to a League 1 side and be their first choice keeper. What is the issue with that exactly? He did extremely well last season and in hindsight we are idiots for letting him go.

The issue being he isn't good enough for us, so why should we be disappointed to lose him? He's gone to a club in the same division but fighting at the completely opposite end to where we want to be. Can't be looking that foolish if he did well enough to go back to exactly the same place he was at, if he was as good as what people think, he wouldn't be there. But nobody ever admits that because he's a local lad.

But yeah, pardon my idiocy for not wanting us to keep a goalkeeper who still isn't good enough for us.

Who said he isn't good enough for us? Loads go on behind thee scenes which are factors behind player transfers, he clearly fell out of favour and never regained it, the latter unlikely due to any footballing reasons.

It's all speculation, but what we can say is that he kept lots of clean sheets for a side which was defensively naff... in the division which we now find ourselves in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Aug 2023 17:39

Hound The GK situation confuses me at the best of times. We always seem to have capable youngsters who don’t really get a chance and move on. And we’ve not really had a good one since AAH - suppose Rafael and Mannone were ok but nothing special and not worth their big wages

Southwood looked reasonable to me. So does Jokull. But looks like we’re shipping/shipped both out in favour of either Button or this other lad whose barely played a first team game

Would like to say I trust our scouting but we haven’t really got it right since AAH - and don’t think he was even signed to be first choice

Anyway sounds like the Button deal is now back on

Yeah this.

We've made consistently poor decisions with keeper recruitment.

Bond - not up to it
Jaakkola - ok, but completely out of place with the style
Martinez - fabulous for half a season
Mannone - average and very overpriced
Cabral - great for one season then poor.
Virginia - dreadful - who thinks a shakey teenager with no first team experience can cut it in the Championship ffs?
Hein - meh
Nyland - yikes
Bouzanis - not up to the Championship, average for L1
Lumley - bang average for the Championship after cutting out the hilarious errors

Why Andresson couldn't have started 4 league games and a handful of cups last season instead of signing Bouzanis I have no idea.

I don't get what the point of Bouzanis ever was if we're ditching him in L1 immediately. He's brought nothing Southwood or Andresson couldn’t.

Button's career has taken a nose dive and Pereira hasn't impressed anywhere. Trust your highly rated young keepers or just get rid of them straightaway.

The only one who has been given a chance and shown he mustn't play over the last few years is CBC and he's just not ready yet, give him la year or two and he may be. The guy is barely 20 and has no experience.

Meanwhile, Andresson had a good full season in L2, plus some solid L1 experience. It's really poor.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Aug 2023 19:13

I remember when we had Hahnemann with Ashdown for backup. He got a chance and then got a PL move after contract expiry. But that didn't matter as we had Feds and Mccarthy coming through. Was AAH are first senior signing there since Hahnemann? We used to have a conveyor belt, but have lost it.

541 posts