New GK

541 posts
JedMaxwell

Re: New GK

by JedMaxwell » 10 Jun 2022 14:09

I don't want to feed into the trolling but Rafael was OK for us.

Started off really well and was consistently very decent, making some great saves. His first two seasons I thought he was a good signing and decent number 1.

Last season (or this one if you like) his form and confidence just went off a cliff, and he rightly went back to Brazil to cut his losses (and get a wage off our bill too) and try to find form again. I wish him all the best.

He was not utter shite but I suspect John Smith knows that and is just looking for people to respond. Dopey gits like me, clearly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jun 2022 14:43

JedMaxwell I don't want to feed into the trolling but Rafael was OK for us.

Started off really well and was consistently very decent, making some great saves. His first two seasons I thought he was a good signing and decent number 1.

Last season (or this one if you like) his form and confidence just went off a cliff, and he rightly went back to Brazil to cut his losses (and get a wage off our bill too) and try to find form again. I wish him all the best.

He was not utter shite but I suspect John Smith knows that and is just looking for people to respond. Dopey gits like me, clearly.

Great season, then a fairly poor one.

John Smith is just always full of it basically.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 10 Jun 2022 15:59

As it's a Friday afternoon and I'm in a generous mood, I'll agree to disagree on this one. There. How's that?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Jun 2022 15:45

From Despair To Where?
Millsy If not mentioned already Karius has been released.

Yeah I know I know, but he may just find consistency and confidence at this level.

People take the piss out of Karius and yes, he did fcuk up in that game but let's be fair, it was the Champions League Final against one of the best club sides in yhe world.

Exactly. Most pressured situation ever. I'd defo be up for giving him a go.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jun 2022 22:26

Linked with Joe Lumley, who is absolutely shocking, by all accounts.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 11 Jun 2022 22:36

Pepe the Horseman Linked with Joe Lumley, who is absolutely shocking, by all accounts.

Jo Lumley? That's absolutely fabulous

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 11 Jun 2022 23:00

morganb
Pepe the Horseman Linked with Joe Lumley, who is absolutely shocking, by all accounts.

Jo Lumley? That's absolutely fabulous

Stop it Moggy B.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 12 Jun 2022 08:34

From what I saw of him he didn`t look so bad, but let`s be realistic if there are any real decent keepers out there why would the be free agents?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 09:13

He isn't very good based upon what I've seen of him but are we in a position to sign high quality players? Probably not.

If you have me the option of sticking with Southwood or Joe Lumley I would stick with Southwood. Lumley isn't a big enough upgrade to warrant the change.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 12 Jun 2022 10:07

windermereROYAL From what I saw of him he didn`t look so bad, but let`s be realistic if there are any real decent keepers out there why would the be free agents?

Because players run their contracts down these days because they can benefit financially by doing so ? See plenty of examples !

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jun 2022 10:57

Lumley kept 13 clean sheets last year. He'll do.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 11:23

Stranded Lumley kept 13 clean sheets last year. He'll do.

Because clean sheets are always down to the goalkeeper?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jun 2022 13:35

Much as I hate to agree with OMA after that, he has a point.

Three of Reading's four keepers last season were in the top ten keepers by number of saves made a game. Lumley was 53rd with less than 2 a game.

Boro conceded less than 10 shots a game to our 14+, we were at opposite ends of the table in that and other respects.

Put Lumley into last year's Reading side and the chances of him keeping anywhere near that many clean sheets are slim to say the least.

Certainly not reason to write him off, but he also won’t do just because Boro had a good defence and midfield protecting him

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 12 Jun 2022 13:39

He's ok. Underwhelming but has a point to prove. No idea what his wage at Boro is.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 12 Jun 2022 13:42

Huddersfield took MK Dons back-up keeper last summer (Lee Nicholls) on a free transfer and finished 3rd so I wouldn't be in a rush to write off a player before they've put pen to paper.

I do think I would rather have Lumley than Southwood in all honesty. Southwood is a saleable asset, whether it's to a club higher up the pyramid looking for a homegrown 2nd/3rd choice or someone at a similar level or lower down.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 12 Jun 2022 14:30

Millsy
From Despair To Where?
Millsy If not mentioned already Karius has been released.

Yeah I know I know, but he may just find consistency and confidence at this level.

People take the piss out of Karius and yes, he did fcuk up in that game but let's be fair, it was the Champions League Final against one of the best club sides in yhe world.

Exactly. Most pressured situation ever. I'd defo be up for giving him a go.

Actually I've changed my mind as I had thought it was only that one game. Spoke to LIverpool mate, put me off him. Plenty of errors in him before and since. "His head has gone".

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 12 Jun 2022 15:00

Snowflake Royal Much as I hate to agree with OMA after that, he has a point.

Three of Reading's four keepers last season were in the top ten keepers by number of saves made a game. Lumley was 53rd with less than 2 a game.

Boro conceded less than 10 shots a game to our 14+, we were at opposite ends of the table in that and other respects.

Put Lumley into last year's Reading side and the chances of him keeping anywhere near that many clean sheets are slim to say the least.

Certainly not reason to write him off, but he also won’t do just because Boro had a good defence and midfield protecting him

After what?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Jun 2022 15:38

Joe Lumley is 27.

He made his league debut for QPR in January 2016 and made 77 appearances for them before moving to Middlesbrough last summer on a 2 year deal with an option for a third year so I would imagine there would be some sort of fee payable to Middlesbrough.

At ‘boro last season he made 34 league appearances and has made 182 appearances in all competitions for the clubs he’s played for.

Middlesbrough are apparently hoping to land Tom Heaton so my guess is nothing much will happen on this until that has been sorted one way or another.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 12 Jun 2022 16:44

I guess Warnock would have had him at QPR and at Middlesboro and played him.
Regardless of any views on Warnock and his behaviour I would think that he is not a bad judge of a player so , on that basis, I wouldn't be against this move.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jun 2022 16:54

South Coast Royal I guess Warnock would have had him at QPR and at Middlesboro and played him.
Regardless of any views on Warnock and his behaviour I would think that he is not a bad judge of a player so , on that basis, I wouldn't be against this move.

He didn't make his QPR debut until 2016. Warnock left in 2012.

541 posts