Joao to West Brom nonsense.

194 posts
Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Joao to West Brom nonsense.

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2022 07:57

gazzer, loyal royal I think there’s more legs in this than we think. If we are now in a position where we need to shift one to get another in Joao could be one who we could get a decent fee for, large wages off the book and then get two in for him. We aren’t getting a left back unless we move someone out after Puscas

Keeping Joao is far more important than getting a new LB.

If we play with wing backs, NGW and Hoilett are looking to work fine there.

If we play with full backs, McIntyre and Clarke are also capable of filling in there.

Selling Joao to sign a LB would strengthen an area we're ok in while drastically weakening an area that's hard and expensive to recruit in and would leave us desperately short there.

If we get a big offer we should take it, but in that case the focus has to be on a good replacement, not another position.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Aug 2022 08:09

Snowflake Royal
gazzer, loyal royal I think there’s more legs in this than we think. If we are now in a position where we need to shift one to get another in Joao could be one who we could get a decent fee for, large wages off the book and then get two in for him. We aren’t getting a left back unless we move someone out after Puscas

If we play with full backs, McIntyre and Clarke are also capable of filling in there.

Selling Joao to sign a LB would strengthen an area we're ok in while drastically weakening an area that's hard and expensive to recruit in and would leave us desperately short there.

If we get a big offer we should take it, but in that case the focus has to be on a good replacement, not another position.

Ian purely out of interest would you take a fit Kenneth Zohore, plus money for Joao?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Aug 2022 08:45

If they come in and offer something stupid like £15m, I think we'd be a bit foolish to turn it down. Not that I think they're going to do that though.

We shouldn't be looking to actively sell him.

Oh no, he doesn't run around much and people think he is lazy - frankly I couldn't care less. If he plays a full (or nearly full) season, he bags 20-25 goals. I didn't hear people calling him lazy on Wednesday when he scored 8 minutes after coming on :roll: For years, we have been crying out for a proven goal-scorer, we now have one of the best in the league, so yeah lets get rid - wonderful logic, classic Reading fans.

Who'd you replace him with, this late in the window? It'll be a rubbish panic buy, the goals inevitably dry up, and then everyone starts slating the club for selling our best goal-scorer.

He seems to enjoy playing here and has a good rapport with most of the fans, especially those in 1871.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Aug 2022 09:04

Kind of agree. If a serious offer comes in, any well run club will have to weigh it up.
I am not convinced Joao is integral to our game now. Last few seasons absolutely, however when he was out of the team or went missing the team just did not function.
If we continue with the high pressing game I am concerned that we are asking Joao to do some thing that is not in his natural game. A bit like Puscas last season, he looked god awful as he didn't fit in at all with the way we set up to play and the team suffered massively.

And lets be honest - it is completely down to Joao, if his heads been turned get rid. If he wants to stay he is going nowhere.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2022 09:13

Oh I definitely think there are legs and I do see the logic in taking the money to remove his wage - are we definitely are a one in/one out stage though - Bowen said we couldn't sign Sarr as we would breach one of the restrictions we are under but didn't mention which one.

According to the rule we are allowed 25 permitted players i.e. have 3 starts at Champ or higher or signed after the agreement came into force. However, EFL rules mean that players under 21 don't count unless they are are loan.

As of today we have the following players available to us, who were over 21 on 1st July 2022 (usual cut off for these things) or on loan

Lumley
Bouzanis

Holmes
Hutchinson
McIntyre
Dann
Yiadom
Guinness-Walker
Moore

Hendrik
Ince
Ejaria
Fornah
Loum
Hoilett

Long
Joao
Meite
Azeez
Puscas

That gives us 20 - so if squad size is the issue, would suggest that they are counting players under 21 as well, so Clarke would count as we signed him. Tetek would also be added as he's made more than 3 starts despite being 19 and usually out of scope. Would still leave us with 3 spots we could fill.

I don't know who else they could be counting here, as starts are key not appearances - so if Puscas does leave then we are left with 19 permitted players, so room for up to 6 more - or 21 if those 2 count. 21 would fit with the wanting up to 4 more players line.

So it makes me think we are close to hitting one of the financial barriers, so Puscas going with his reported 15k salary should allow a couple to come in.

You are usually pretty close to this stuff Gazza, so would be great if you have any info on where we are in potential trouble as squad size doesn't appear to be it.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2022 09:13

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal

Ian purely out of interest would you take a fit Kenneth Zohore, plus money for Joao?

In the last 3 seasons Zahore has scored the same number of goals as Tom Mc. Not sure he’d fully replace Joao….

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2022 09:22

Hendo If they come in and offer something stupid like £15m, I think we'd be a bit foolish to turn it down. Not that I think they're going to do that though.

Oh no, he doesn't run around much and people think he is lazy - frankly I couldn't care less. If he plays a full (or nearly full) season, he bags 20-25 goals. I didn't hear people calling him lazy on Wednesday when he scored 8 minutes after coming on :roll: For years, we have been crying out for a proven goal-scorer, we now have one of the best in the league, so yeah lets get rid - wonderful logic, classic Reading fans.

Who'd you replace him with, this late in the window? It'll be a rubbish panic buy, the goals inevitably dry up, and then everyone starts slating the club for selling our best goal-scorer.

He seems to enjoy playing here and has a good rapport with most of the fans, especially those in 1871.

Hit the nail on the head there re "lazy" or "get rid" comments - if interest from WBA is real and was leaked on Friday, it is virtually impossible that Joao was unaware of it on Weds.

Ben Foster did an interesting bit on transfers on his podcast a while back about transfers and in short, the fact that we know about this interest means someone at WBA, or Joao's agent want us to know.

WBA will have spoken to Joao's agent already and would have been told that Joao would be interested, if something were to happen and they wiil know that personal terms won't be an issue - at that point, someone may choose to go public - I know Football Insider broke the story but the fact that more respected journalists like Pete O'Rourke also went with it - suggests someone wants people to know.

So this does have some legs, doesn't mean it will happen though as the price has to be right for us and ideally we'd want a player in as well - I honestly wouldn't be massively upset if it happened with Zohore coming in but the deal absolutely has to be right. Makes the next week interesting on both sides.

Key first, is getting Puscas out in the next day or two and getting Sarr and hopefully someone else over the line.

Only on Twitter I know but some Huddersfield fans, seem to be thinking Sarr make actually go back to them. Can't see it if he has signed already but would be good to get the registration done asap, to stop any stories like that.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2022 09:36

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal

God no.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Aug 2022 09:44

Selling your top scorer when the whole world and his dog are tipping you to go down wouldn`t be the greatest bit of transfer business this club has ever done tbf.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 22 Aug 2022 09:46

Hendo If they come in and offer something stupid like £15m, I think we'd be a bit foolish to turn it down. Not that I think they're going to do that though.

100% agree

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2022 10:41

windermereROYAL Selling your top scorer when the whole world and his dog are tipping you to go down wouldn`t be the greatest bit of transfer business this club has ever done tbf.

Not doing what you believe is the right thing because you are worried what David Prutton might think is hardly the best way to approach these things.....

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Aug 2022 10:51

He is our most saleable asset in his last year of his contract. If and its a big IF we can sell him AND bring in suitable replacement it should be an avenue to look into.
IF we could bring in a player who is a known goal scorer on loan with a view to buy. Use the funds fromt he sale next season to secure Loum and the loan CF on a permanent deals I would see that as good business.

The basis for this argument is seeing how different we looked with a high energy front line last 2 games. If this rumour came up after the Rotherham game it would be a flat no. Not for sale at any price etc.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2022 11:03

Coppells Lost Coat If we continue with the high pressing game I am concerned that we are asking Joao to do some thing that is not in his natural game.

Agreed. A pressing game just isn't effective when your centre forward ambles around waving his arms about in frustration. He is our Ronaldo, will always score goals, but is not the best fit for the style and eventually potentially detrimental to team spirit when you've got others like Tince running their arses off for 90 mins every game.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2022 11:51

Coppells Lost Coat He is our most saleable asset in his last year of his contract. If and its a big IF we can sell him AND bring in suitable replacement it should be an avenue to look into.
IF we could bring in a player who is a known goal scorer on loan with a view to buy. Use the funds fromt he sale next season to secure Loum and the loan CF on a permanent deals I would see that as good business.

The basis for this argument is seeing how different we looked with a high energy front line last 2 games. If this rumour came up after the Rotherham game it would be a flat no. Not for sale at any price etc.

Loans, we have to be careful with now. Whilst we still have room for 4 more loans, only 1 more can be in the matchday squad - so we have to be very sensible about who (if anyone) we loan in now - once you are at 5 loans it becomes trickier as most clubs will want the player being loaned to get a certain amount of minutes. So say for example, we get Hutchinson in, the market for a striker on loan massively shrinks or you are looking at dropping one of Hendrik, Loum or Fornah from the squad to accommodate (assuming Lumley remains #1).

If we sell, and it is a massive IF, we either need to go back to the EFL and ask if we can reinvest (and get that in writing), else we are looking at either a partial swap deal for Zohore or Callum Robinson or the free agent market for a striker - Robinson would be OK but there isn't too much left on the free agent market that would make you gt too excited.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 22 Aug 2022 11:52

Royal Rother
Coppells Lost Coat If we continue with the high pressing game I am concerned that we are asking Joao to do some thing that is not in his natural game.

Agreed. A pressing game just isn't effective when your centre forward ambles around waving his arms about in frustration. He is our Ronaldo, will always score goals, but is not the best fit for the style and eventually potentially detrimental to team spirit when you've got others like Tince running their arses off for 90 mins every game.

Yeah Long is perfect for this.

Not that we should or could ever do this, but just imagine a front two of the likes of Long and Joao for 90mins every game. The oppo defence would absolutely bricking themselves.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 22 Aug 2022 12:12

Stranded
Loans, we have to be careful with now. Whilst we still have room for 4 more loans, only 1 more can be in the matchday squad - so we have to be very sensible about who (if anyone) we loan in now - once you are at 5 loans it becomes trickier as most clubs will want the player being loaned to get a certain amount of minutes. So say for example, we get Hutchinson in, the market for a striker on loan massively shrinks or you are looking at dropping one of Hendrik, Loum or Fornah from the squad to accommodate (assuming Lumley remains #1).

If we sell, and it is a massive IF, we either need to go back to the EFL and ask if we can reinvest (and get that in writing), else we are looking at either a partial swap deal for Zohore or Callum Robinson or the free agent market for a striker - Robinson would be OK but there isn't too much left on the free agent market that would make you gt too excited.

If Joao goes a CF becomes top priority over another midfielder 100% so the Hutchinson thing becomes second fiddle to what happens there.
And even if we get have him in, one of Fornah, Loum or Hendricks would need to be dropped anyway - not great that they would need to be out of the matchday 18 though, so i see your point.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2022 12:29

Coppells Lost Coat
Stranded

If Joao goes a CF becomes top priority over another midfielder 100% so the Hutchinson thing becomes second fiddle to what happens there.
And even if we get have him in, one of Fornah, Loum or Hendricks would need to be dropped anyway - not great that they would need to be out of the matchday 18 though, so i see your point.

Oh I agree that a striker becomes priority, so I think Hutchinson goes away at that point and if we want a more attack minded midfielder we see who is still out there on a free. Loum will soon be first name on the teamsheet, so a 6th loan likely comes down to Fornah or Hendrick, so are both starting to look decent - only plus is it may help us rest Hendrick on occasion.

Also if we do sign a free agent midfielder then at least we have one for next season, as currently, we'll have no midfield next year. I know long term planning isn't a massive part of this season but we have given out contracts that will give us a nucleus of a team next year but would be could to have a central midfielder under contract for next year. Not sure who is out there though, or what happened to the guy who came over from France for a trial.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 22 Aug 2022 12:35

Absolutely staggered that there’s a proportion of Reading fans who dont think Joao is absolute class. :|

He’d be a massive loss if he goes.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Aug 2022 12:42

One or more of the loan signings could be turned into permanent deals….
For various reasons Loum and Fornah wouldn’t seem likely. Hendrick would possibly be an option but wages might be an issue but Lumley could be possible, he doesn’t seem to have a future at Boro.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2022 12:47

Nameless One or more of the loan signings could be turned into permanent deals….
For various reasons Loum and Fornah wouldn’t seem likely. Hendrick would possibly be an option but wages might be an issue but Lumley could be possible, he doesn’t seem to have a future at Boro.

Not this season if they cost money. Loum and Fornah are out for sure - though may be available next summer - Fornah will be if Forest stay up. So we would be asking for the loaning club to let one of Hendrik or Lumley go for free. If that was viable, I imagine it would have happened, especially with Lumley being out of contract next summer.

Situation may well change in Jan but can't see that happening until then (I know a loan can become permanent at any time of course).

194 posts