January transfer window 2023

313 posts
Fezza

Re: January transfer window 2023

by Fezza » 02 Jan 2023 12:37

Once upon a time . I keep reading what a good CB Holmes has become . Well maybe it’s time to state what I see with him .He has been a regular CB for the past 2 seasons . I expect a CB to command the central areas of his own half , but particularly his own penalty area . Where are we weak , and what goals do we concede , ——- headers in our penalty area . I think that he knows he is suspect in this department , that’s why he always attempts to wrestle forwards in the box , I don’t see him heading away crosses . Last season it was always Morrison doing this .
Players run off him in the box because he ball watches . His tackling is seldom clean , it’s more a case of ‘ I ‘ll look as if I’m going for the ball , but I’ll take the man if not ‘ We know he is slow and somewhat clumsy .( not very mobile)
Now , I will agree he had a better game than usual against Norwich . I saw 2 very good tackles and 3 times in the second half he passed the ball forward ( another criticism I have is that he is reluctant to take the responsibility of passing forward ) .
I will leave it there for now and expect a thorough kicking from the rest of you .

This.

He’s ok, but defensively he’s not on a par with a fit Dann or Moore.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 02 Jan 2023 13:10

A fully fit Dann and Moore? Wake me up when that actually happens

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Jan 2023 14:13

Can't see anyone signing Moore or Joao in January. Why pay for someone who's been shite/injured/shite and injured all season when they're available on a free in 6 months.

I like Ejaria but his head's gone. Again don't see who would want to sign him given what he's done this season.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 Jan 2023 14:19

From Despair To Where? Can't see anyone signing Moore or Joao in January. Why pay for someone who's been shite/injured/shite and injured all season when they're available on a free in 6 months.

I like Ejaria but his head's gone. Again don't see who would want to sign him given what he's done this season.

Probably not anyone in this division, but possibly abroad and that's been touted before. Joao to Turkey has been a rumour that's gone around previously, Moore to MLS for example and Ejaria again might be on the continent somewhere.

Agree though, don't see why you'd pay for someone who is free in 6 months time but it depends how desperately someone needs a player. At the end of the day, even if we got half a million now for Moore, it helps us. Joao and Ejaria would command seven figure sums though at least.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Jan 2023 14:54

YorkshireRoyal99
From Despair To Where? Can't see anyone signing Moore or Joao in January. Why pay for someone who's been shite/injured/shite and injured all season when they're available on a free in 6 months.

Probably not anyone in this division, but possibly abroad and that's been touted before. Joao to Turkey has been a rumour that's gone around previously, Moore to MLS for example and Ejaria again might be on the continent somewhere.

Agree though, don't see why you'd pay for someone who is free in 6 months time but it depends how desperately someone needs a player. At the end of the day, even if we got half a million now for Moore, it helps us. Joao and Ejaria would command seven figure sums though at least.

It's not always a case of need but want. For example, lets say Besiktas want Joao - if they move now and agree a realtively nominal fee of say 1m to have him now, they could avoid a potential bidding war when it comes to wages.

Naturally, clubs outside England can agree deals with players OOC in the summer now, so unlikely we would get a fee from abroad unless they want to avoid the risk of injury in the remaining 20 odd games.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Jan 2023 17:21

Hound A fully fit Dann and Moore? Wake me up when that actually happens

He's also streets ahead of where Moore was the last time we saw him fit.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Jan 2023 18:52

Sell Joao and go get Collins from Bristol Rovers or Clarke Harris from Peterborough

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Jan 2023 19:41

Once upon a time . I keep reading what a good CB Holmes has become . Well maybe it’s time to state what I see with him .He has been a regular CB for the past 2 seasons . I expect a CB to command the central areas of his own half , but particularly his own penalty area . Where are we weak , and what goals do we concede , ——- headers in our penalty area . I think that he knows he is suspect in this department , that’s why he always attempts to wrestle forwards in the box , I don’t see him heading away crosses . Last season it was always Morrison doing this .
Players run off him in the box because he ball watches . His tackling is seldom clean , it’s more a case of ‘ I ‘ll look as if I’m going for the ball , but I’ll take the man if not ‘ We know he is slow and somewhat clumsy .( not very mobile)
Now , I will agree he had a better game than usual against Norwich . I saw 2 very good tackles and 3 times in the second half he passed the ball forward ( another criticism I have is that he is reluctant to take the responsibility of passing forward ) .
I will leave it there for now and expect a thorough kicking from the rest of you .

No need for a kicking !
Just reads like you’ve never actually seen him play ….

Fezza

by Fezza » 02 Jan 2023 20:11

Snowflake Royal

Not for me, but I guess that’s opinions.

Holmes is progressing but I feel T Mac is a stronger defender and passes the ball better.

I think that the feeling of some on here that we’re financially ok after the EFL involvement ends is pie in the sky. Holmes has resale value, very few other members of the squad do (TMac, Ince, Puscas and maybe a couple of the kids). There is no way anyone would pay for Joao or Moore, but we should look to shift them as they’re clearly not in Ince’s plans and free up squad space.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 03 Jan 2023 13:48

Once upon a time . I forgot to list his strong points . ——- He is always committed to the cause , and tries his best , gives his all .

I can't make up my mind about him but his commitment is total and that is what this current team generally is, i.e. not very talented but in most positions they show great fight for the cause.

I do disagree on his passing ability and along with Tommy Mac I think they are much better passers than Moore or Morrison.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2023 14:19

paultheroyal Sell Joao and go get Collins from Bristol Rovers or Clarke Harris from Peterborough

We can't actually spend anything without EFL clearance and I really don't see us getting that this side of the next transfer window.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Jan 2023 14:21

From Despair To Where?
paultheroyal Sell Joao and go get Collins from Bristol Rovers or Clarke Harris from Peterborough

We can't actually spend anything without EFL clearance and I really don't see that happening this side of the next transfer window.

Probably a good thing if the end result would have been signing Clarke Harris

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2023 14:23

And Bristol Rovers value Collins at £5m

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 03 Jan 2023 16:31

From Despair To Where? And Bristol Rovers value Collins at £5m

Value is what someone will pay, not what is asked

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Jan 2023 16:34

Yeah, but whatever we could offer would never be enough, especially when Burnley are apparently interested.

How much could we realistically get for Joao? £1m absolute tops with 6 months left on his contract.

karbota
Hob Nob Regular

by karbota » 03 Jan 2023 16:54

At last Despair talks some sense, like Ejaria all you want but he has also done feck all for the last two seasons.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 03 Jan 2023 19:23

Fezza
Snowflake Royal

Not for me, but I guess that’s opinions.

Holmes is progressing but I feel T Mac is a stronger defender and passes the ball better.

I think that the feeling of some on here that we’re financially ok after the EFL involvement ends is pie in the sky. Holmes has resale value, very few other members of the squad do (TMac, Ince, Puscas and maybe a couple of the kids). There is no way anyone would pay for Joao or Moore, but we should look to shift them as they’re clearly not in Ince’s plans and free up squad space.

McIntyre is definitely a better passer. He was the better defender but he has regressed this season whilst Holmes has improved and gone past McIntyre.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2023 08:27

I think it's a bit harsh to say McIntyre has regressed, Holmes has just surpassed him defensively. I do think McIntyre is less reluctant to try and play out from the back, whereas Holmes is very much safety first.

I think McIntyre is doing alright in the main, some strong games, some not so good games/moments, although I can't think there has been many times where I've thought he's been our best player in any game this season, whereas there's probably a few with Holmes.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2023 09:56

Total made up rumour from totally made up Twitter account but hey the window's open so why not.

Apparently, we are looking to hijack Aaron Long's move to LAFC - he left NY Red Bulls at the end of their season so is available as a free - we were interested 2 years back allegedly - 30 year old CB.

Was NYRB captain and has 29 caps for the US.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 04 Jan 2023 10:13

Franchise FC
From Despair To Where? And Bristol Rovers value Collins at £5m

Value is what someone will pay, not what is asked

That depends on whether they are looking to sell. If not, we would have to meet their asking price.

313 posts