1360 posts
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by blythspartan » 22 Aug 2023 12:25

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Yeah and that's your opinion. Mine is that I wouldn't mind Kilkenny, I think he would be a solid option for our team. Not much else to say that's worthwhile.

YR, I do enjoy reading most of your posts as I do IR’s, Stranded’s and a few others.

However, at times you don’t seem to have much faith in our youngsters and I appreciate that you are not alone with that view.

If Bowen and co deem Kilkenny as a good option for the squad I won’t argue as their recruitment has been spot on so far. I just wonder why you feel Craig and Senga etc. should be kept more for the u21s? I thought Craig was one of our best players against Millwall and he also impressed me in preseason friendlies.

I’ll reserve my judgement about the team until we have played 10+ games, but I do feel that our youngsters can really flourish in League One.

It's not like the guy has much experience, he's a similar age to our young players , he seems not to have got particularly good reviews at his last club.

And you can't just keep going after shiny baubles. You've got to manage your squad size. And it's really important to provide pathways.

It's like Pereira and Bouzanis before him. What's the point?

I’d be surprised if we signed Kilkenny tbh. Personally, I only think we need another mobile striker, but if we sign Wareham and he gets promoted to the first team I wouldn’t have a problem with that. He’s 20, ex Chelsea and has scored 3 goals for the u21s in 2 matches. We also have J Clarke of course once fit.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2023 12:26

Snowflake Royal
blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Yeah and that's your opinion. Mine is that I wouldn't mind Kilkenny, I think he would be a solid option for our team. Not much else to say that's worthwhile.

YR, I do enjoy reading most of your posts as I do IR’s, Stranded’s and a few others.

However, at times you don’t seem to have much faith in our youngsters and I appreciate that you are not alone with that view.

If Bowen and co deem Kilkenny as a good option for the squad I won’t argue as their recruitment has been spot on so far. I just wonder why you feel Craig and Senga etc. should be kept more for the u21s? I thought Craig was one of our best players against Millwall and he also impressed me in preseason friendlies.

I’ll reserve my judgement about the team until we have played 10+ games, but I do feel that our youngsters can really flourish in League One.

It's not like the guy has much experience, he's a similar age to our young players , he seems not to have got particularly good reviews at his last club.

And you can't just keep going after shiny baubles. You've got to manage your squad size. And it's really important to provide pathways.

I don't think we can argue about the pathway at the moment - I know nothing about Kilkenny and this story just feels like he is/was one of probably a large number of players we have enquired about on loan at some point - whether the interest is still active or not, will be open to question.

Bouzanis was a mistake and very much, in retrospect, seems to be an Ince related deal probably just to ensure we had a senior keeper on the books. Pereria, I see sense in if he signs, he is similar to Button in that he is comfortable with his feet but also clearly happy to not be first choice and gives CBC competition for the bench/cup ties whilst freeing up Andresson for a loan - early days in that loan but to date he has just sat on the bench there, which is a step up from sitting in the stands but needs to force his way in there to really be thought of as a future first teamer here.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2023 12:35

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
blythspartan

I don't think we can argue about the pathway at the moment - I know nothing about Kilkenny and this story just feels like he is/was one of probably a large number of players we have enquired about on loan at some point - whether the interest is still active or not, will be open to question.

Bouzanis was a mistake and very much, in retrospect, seems to be an Ince related deal probably just to ensure we had a senior keeper on the books. Pereria, I see sense in if he signs, he is similar to Button in that he is comfortable with his feet but also clearly happy to not be first choice and gives CBC competition for the bench/cup ties whilst freeing up Andresson for a loan - early days in that loan but to date he has just sat on the bench there, which is a step up from sitting in the stands but needs to force his way in there to really be thought of as a future first teamer here.

We certainly can't argue about the pathway at FB, CB, Wing or Forward...

But in midfield? We've signed Savage, Wing, Rushesha and Elliott... its surely hard to argue that hasn't blocked pathways for Senga and Craig in the short term, and would do even more if we signed Kilkenny - which I agree is hopefully unlikely.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Aug 2023 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal It's not like the guy has much experience, he's a similar age to our young players , he seems not to have got particularly good reviews at his last club.

But in midfield? We've signed Savage, Wing, Rushesha and Elliott... its surely hard to argue that hasn't blocked pathways for Senga and Craig in the short term, and would do even more if we signed Kilkenny - which I agree is hopefully unlikely.

We needed to sign CMs as we haven't really had any (excluding loans) for the past few seasons. I think it really comes down to whether Senga/Craig are viewed as good enough over the course of the season. Perhaps their development is deemed to be helped more by playing regularly at U21 level rather than getting a couple of minutes off the bench for the first team.

I think CM is the most important position on the pitch to get right, if you're going to be successful. Get overrun in the centre of midfield, you'll struggle (regardless of who you have in other positions).

With the players coming through in other positions, I think either Senga or Craig would be given a chance if they're considered ready by the management team.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Aug 2023 13:00

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal It's not like the guy has much experience, he's a similar age to our young players , he seems not to have got particularly good reviews at his last club.

Well yes, it is up to Senga & Craig to show they are better than those 4. The good thing is, with the exception of Wing, who has shown his quality in the game he started, the signings are young so the pathway is being blocked by a contemporary rather than a Hendrick type of player - in those 4 as well, they are now our players, they won't head back to parent clubs in May. If Senga & Craig are good enough, now, they will get a chance - if not, we should look at potential loans or they will move on. It is just a fact of life but I do feel that the pathway is there and loans should only be used to bring in players who are clearly better than what we have, or fit a role better than those on our books already do - like Mukairu looks to be.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Aug 2023 13:45

Whilst I’ve argued that Senga is old enough to play in the first 11, it’s also fair to point out he is still very young relatively

There wouldn’t be an issue with him staying with the u21 for at least another year. Esp as it’s a competitive level and that team itself is pretty handy now. You don’t need to loan him out or move him on.

Also true with Craig but think he is a little bit older

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Aug 2023 14:37

blythspartan
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal See, I even forgot Rushesha.

You don't seem to have learnt anything from Abbey and Binden. You describe Senga, Craig and Rushesha (mostly older than our CBs) as only for the U21s, when they've looked pretty comfortable playing with the first team.

You also argue you don't need more than 3 strikers for one forward position, or 4 for two where most of them are very young. Yet think we need 9 midfielders for two positions because you just rule out three of them for being young.

If Wing is injured and Hutch gets injured, I want to see Senga, Rushesha and Craig get chances. I'm sick of blocking off perfectly good Academy players with loanees and experienced failures.

I'm more than happy for them to be in, although they don't seem to be at the moment. I'd rather them have a year in the U21's playing games consistently, rather than potentially missing out just for a place on the bench. Either that or a loan until January and reassess from there or something.

Kilkenny I've generally quite liked as a player. Maybe not had the best of times everywhere he's been, but he's got some quality on the ball and a good engine, would seem to fit us well.

I don't think it would necessarily block a pathway for either Craig or Senga, because he'd only be on loan anyway so we'd have him for 12 months. If Craig and/or Senga prove their worth still throughout the season, then no reason as to why we can't bring them into the team either.

That's just my take on it. Not sure where it's come from where I've said we should flood the team with players in certain areas, I just want a team that wins and I'm not bothered whether that's our youngsters or a random team. I always want our youngsters to succeed and I've been preaching for a number of years that that's what our club should be centred around because we bring through the talent, but I'm just conscious that we don't put too many in at one time because they might be good one day, rather than them actually being good.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2023 15:34

Clyde1998
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

We needed to sign CMs as we haven't really had any (excluding loans) for the past few seasons. I think it really comes down to whether Senga/Craig are viewed as good enough over the course of the season. Perhaps their development is deemed to be helped more by playing regularly at U21 level rather than getting a couple of minutes off the bench for the first team.

I think CM is the most important position on the pitch to get right, if you're going to be successful. Get overrun in the centre of midfield, you'll struggle (regardless of who you have in other positions).

With the players coming through in other positions, I think either Senga or Craig would be given a chance if they're considered ready by the management team.

Oh yeah, before we made any signings our options were an injured Hutch, an injured Ejaria plus Senga and Craig. We absolutely needed CMs, my point is we don’t need to sign 5 with Senga and Craig looking good.

They're perfectly adequate for third /fourth choice for each position behind Savage / Elliott / Rushesha and Wing / Hutch, and really we should be trying to get them some sub and cup opportunities to aid progression and transition over the next couple of seasons.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Aug 2023 19:26

Would have been pleased with Kilkenny at the start of the window.

With the options we have now, he'd seem superfluous.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 22 Aug 2023 19:34

Big Daz (the man from the Mirror) says:

Reading still like Anjorin. Been a long term target but need to shift a few as well

https://twitter.com/DarrenOWitcoop/stat ... 2830725524

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Aug 2023 22:44

WTF is it with excessive amounts of midfielders?

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Aug 2023 07:38

Snowflake Royal WTF is it with excessive amounts of midfielders?

Maybe with the high energy game Selles wants us to play he wants to have a few to rotate. I agree that we have an ample amount of players in midfield.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 07:57

blythspartan

Maybe with the high energy game Selles wants us to play he wants to have a few to rotate. I agree that we have an ample amount of players in midfield.

That would make sense - if you have 1 or 2 midfielders "too many" you can rotate more regularly but I still get the feeling that a lot of these midfield rumours are names from our long list who we have enquired about, given the massive need for midfielders at the beginning of the window, that have leaked and remained out there. No doubt we asked about Anjorin but doesn't mean the interest is still there, but that link, our relationship with Chelsea and the fact Anjorin surprisingly hasn't gone anywhere leads to a 2+2 situation.

As it happens, would be happy if we could get him on board the same way we have got Elliott/Savage,. Loan, less so.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Aug 2023 08:20

Stranded
blythspartan

That would make sense - if you have 1 or 2 midfielders "too many" you can rotate more regularly but I still get the feeling that a lot of these midfield rumours are names from our long list who we have enquired about, given the massive need for midfielders at the beginning of the window, that have leaked and remained out there. No doubt we asked about Anjorin but doesn't mean the interest is still there, but that link, our relationship with Chelsea and the fact Anjorin surprisingly hasn't gone anywhere leads to a 2+2 situation.

As it happens, would be happy if we could get him on board the same way we have got Elliott/Savage,. Loan, less so.

It looks more likely that Anjorin will be going to Portsmouth, and I agree about him being on our long list of players we have enquired about.

Out of interest do we need to offload players now before we can sign anymore? If we could sign one more striker I’d be very happy. Selles mentioned 2 more, but no idea if that would possibly be Wareham and Pereira.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 23 Aug 2023 08:39

Is Anjorin more of a 10 anyway? Could see it happening if we were to move someone like Ejaria on for instance, but I'd have thought it would have taken quite a lot for a) Ejaria to actually leave and b) Anjorin to still be available by the time that happens, if it was to even happen this window.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2023 08:39

blythspartan
Stranded
blythspartan

It looks more likely that Anjorin will be going to Portsmouth, and I agree about him being on our long list of players we have enquired about.

Out of interest do we need to offload players now before we can sign anymore? If we could sign one more striker I’d be very happy. Selles mentioned 2 more, but no idea if that would possibly be Wareham and Pereira.

Don't get why we'd want Pereira, Reading are already overflowing with goalkeepers and all he'd do is block those younger keepers already at the club.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 23 Aug 2023 08:48

Sutekh
blythspartan
Stranded

Don't get why we'd want Pereira, Reading are already overflowing with goalkeepers and all he'd do is block those younger keepers already at the club.

I agree, but he’s been training with us for quite a while so you’d think Selles wants to sign him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 09:02

blythspartan
Stranded
blythspartan

In terms of shifting players, whilst there is no regulatory need to do so, the club will be looking to move players out to keep costs low.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 23 Aug 2023 12:21

Stranded
blythspartan
Stranded

In terms of shifting players, whilst there is no regulatory need to do so, the club will be looking to move players out to keep costs low.

Which makes being linked loads of midfielders and having Pereira training with us weird when we're stocked fine in those positions.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Aug 2023 12:53

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
blythspartan

Which makes being linked loads of midfielders and having Pereira training with us weird when we're stocked fine in those positions.

James Earnshaw stating this afternoon that Pereria will sign if/when we shift a GK, either on perm/loan basis.

1360 posts