Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

1360 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer 2023 Transfer Speculation

by Greatwesternline » 03 Jan 2024 10:12

Reading don't pay the wages of their staff, or pay them late. Club making staff redundant.

EFL trying to kick us out of the league for not paying HMRC on time, not paying fines due.

But of course fans still speculating which new players we will be signing in January.

:lol:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jan 2024 10:18

Greatwesternline Reading don't pay the wages of their staff, or pay them late. Club making staff redundant.

EFL trying to kick us out of the league for not paying HMRC on time, not paying fines due.

But of course fans still speculating which new players we will be signing in January.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could pick up a loan where we don’t pay any wages or loan fee….
Last edited by Brogue on 03 Jan 2024 10:22, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 03 Jan 2024 10:18

Don't think there has been any speculation really, other than reporting a rumour for Thomas - which a lot of people have said they don't see how it could happen.

The only possible thing is someone to replace Ballard, but with the comments from RS and MB, that looks also very unlikely.

I'm not expecting anyone coming in at all.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Jan 2024 11:09

Hendo Don't think there has been any speculation really, other than reporting a rumour for Thomas - which a lot of people have said they don't see how it could happen.

The only possible thing is someone to replace Ballard, but with the comments from RS and MB, that looks also very unlikely.

I think Selles' comments leave a little wriggle room. Basically, we're not interested in bringing in more young talent when we've already had to spend half a season building up the current squad.

But if an experience option became available, I suspect we'd look at it. The problem is experienced frees / loans recently have not worked out either. We don't need another Hendrick, Drinkwater or Rahman.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2024 11:57

WestYorksRoyal
Hendo Don't think there has been any speculation really, other than reporting a rumour for Thomas - which a lot of people have said they don't see how it could happen.

I think Selles' comments leave a little wriggle room. Basically, we're not interested in bringing in more young talent when we've already had to spend half a season building up the current squad.

But if an experience option became available, I suspect we'd look at it. The problem is experienced frees / loans recently have not worked out either. We don't need another Hendrick, Drinkwater or Rahman.

Experienced players essentially fall in to the camp of not having played much so likely have to build up their minutes again too - don't see any deals happening at all - unless we lose someone and are able to get a deal over the line using the wages freed up but totally agree that given the financial situation, any deals this window are likely to be ongoing, not incoming.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Jan 2024 12:04

Can we register any of our coaches as players like Exeter did? They are already on the payroll plus are older and therefore probably more experienced.

Incidentally, was Selles ever a player?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Jan 2024 12:44

morganb Can we register any of our coaches as players like Exeter did? They are already on the payroll plus are older and therefore probably more experienced.

No. He was a youngster with Paretta and then Burjassot in Spain but at the age of 16 (in 1999) I presume he realised he had shortcomings as a player and so decided to opt for various coaching roles.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 17:27

Brogue
Greatwesternline Reading don't pay the wages of their staff, or pay them late. Club making staff redundant.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could pick up a loan where we don’t pay any wages or loan fee….

Or make a seven figure sale.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 17:29

morganb Can we register any of our coaches as players like Exeter did? They are already on the payroll plus are older and therefore probably more experienced.

Jog, jog, jog, jog Gilkesy!

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 05 Jan 2024 12:50

Snowflake Royal
Brogue

We've just cancelled the catering contract at the training ground. I somehow doubt that the owner of the club will use any funds from transfer sales to bring in new players.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 05 Jan 2024 12:51

Also interesting sales pitch to would be players.

Can you make a good packed lunch at home for training?

Reading is the club for you.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2024 15:50

Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Half expecting the imbecile to agree another Puscas type deal only for the FL to then really lose their **** with the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2024 16:11

Greatwesternline Also interesting sales pitch to would be players.

Can you make a good packed lunch at home for training?

Reading is the club for you.

Looking for a learning experience in the football world with a promising 3rd division club?

If you have one or more of the following, then Reading FC would very much like to meet you to discuss terms for a professional playing deal

1. experience of self catering
  2. a large range of tupperware boxes
  3. a large minbus (or 50 seater coach)
  4. lots of extended family all over the country (esp. in the lake distrct area) with large empty properties
  5. plenty of friends in the hospitality business
  6. own, or know someone who owns a laundry business
  7. ability to speak any dialect of Chinese (especially if being expert in short pithy statements encouraging people to leave quickly and quietly)

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 05 Jan 2024 17:01

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

We've just cancelled the catering contract at the training ground. I somehow doubt that the owner of the club will use any funds from transfer sales to bring in new players.

We didn't cancel anything. They cancelled the contract because they weren't getting paid.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Jan 2024 19:51

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Brogue

Half expecting the imbecile to agree another Puscas type deal only for the FL to then really lose their **** with the club.

We can't pay fees, so not possible.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 06 Jan 2024 15:32

I stayed at the Voco Reading hotel last night for a works do. One of people in the group was a Luton fan and he briefly spoke to a young chap at the bar. He said he knew him from the Luton U21s. I am sure he said his name was John Taylor, but I was pissed so I am not sure.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 06 Jan 2024 15:44

blythspartan I stayed at the Voco Reading hotel last night for a works do. One of people in the group was a Luton fan and he briefly spoke to a young chap at the bar. He said he knew him from the Luton U21s. I am sure he said his name was John Taylor, but I was pissed so I am not sure.

They've got a Joe Taylor, on loan at Colchester.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 06 Jan 2024 19:44

Pepe the Horseman
blythspartan I stayed at the Voco Reading hotel last night for a works do. One of people in the group was a Luton fan and he briefly spoke to a young chap at the bar. He said he knew him from the Luton U21s. I am sure he said his name was John Taylor, but I was pissed so I am not sure.

They've got a Joe Taylor, on loan at Colchester.

Recalled from Colchester, he was the U's top scorer (12 goals and 2 assists), apparently Luton are looking to send him on loan to a L1 side. No idea how good he is or anything though, but with Ballard out, might be something to look at. Although we could use a little bit more in the wide areas, natural wide players that is.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2024 13:15

I found this from a couple of days ago. Personally, I have never heard of Harvey Blair, but being a Liverpool youngster he could be decent.

Saying that, this type of signing doesn’t fit with what Selles said in a recent interview with BBCRB.

I did wonder what the situation was regarding the money we received for a youngster who recently signed for the Saints. I thought the fee we received was to cover the cost of Ballard’s loan, but I might be wrong.

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/17 ... 87/photo/1

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Jan 2024 19:24

Not sure if posted elsewhere but the Athletic via Talk Reading suggesting we’re open to bids for Bindon, Abbey and co. If upfront payments are made. Smith and Knibbs also attracting interest

1360 posts