Points Deduction AGAIN

763 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Points Deduction AGAIN

by Ascotexgunner » 01 Mar 2023 21:09

It's like we have spent 200 mill and gone into administration the way they are treating us. I swear the EFL won't be happy until we are down.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Mar 2023 21:33

blythspartan I don’t want us to get relegated of course but if we end up going down due to a large points deduction in some ways it’ll be a relief. The last few years supporting the club have been challenging to say the least and if it allows us to press the reset button it might be better in the long run.

Hopefully, any deduction won’t be too bad and we’ll stay up but I just want it done and dusted so that we can look forward as a club.

We were saying this last season as well

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Mar 2023 21:34

We did spend £200m. The problem was that we only had about £80m of revenue during that time.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 01 Mar 2023 21:37

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal That is, unsurprisingly, about the most positive take anyone could bring to this. And ignores that the scrutiny could be well beyond routine.

It is neither positive or negative, just a statement of all we know. EFL have said they are reviewing. End.

It had to happen and it may well end up with us getting a deduction, it may not. Out of my control, so not going to stress about it.

Didn't say you had to stress about it. But your 'as would always have happened' puts a very clear 'nothing to see here' take as if there's a degree of certainty this is routine. That the journalist scoops are made up based purely on a bet we'll have failed to meet the plan and they'll come out looking in the know, like some kid on twitter. When in fact these are credible journalists with genuine sources, and the current review by the FL may be much more than just a routine that 'would always have happened'.

Just because you don't want to worry about it, doesn't mean that there's nothing more to it than routine.

That doesn’t always mean the sources are 100% accurate or that the situation can’t change after further submissions etc…just because some well respected journalists have written it, doesn’t mean it is going to unfold as described. Be very interesting to hear what the club have to say tomorrow…Wonder if Ince will even be allowed to answer questions on it?!

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 01 Mar 2023 22:00

It gets depressing seeing how people can people can take exactly the same information and come up with wildly different interpretation, no wonder our politics is in such a mess.

When multiple football journalists report the same thing that means that there is something in it. And when their reports match up with basic logic and things we already know (the club does seem to have signed a lot of players that won't have been cheap), we can have a bit more confidence in them being true. Does that mean they are 100% certain - no, of course not. But it's reasonable for people to want to discuss the consequences if they are true.

You can't take the EFL statement at face value to mean that they are still actually evaluating things. All that means is that they haven't communicated an official outcome.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 01 Mar 2023 22:05

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Snowflake Royal That is, unsurprisingly, about the most positive take anyone could bring to this. And ignores that the scrutiny could be well beyond routine.

It is neither positive or negative, just a statement of all we know. EFL have said they are reviewing. End.

It had to happen and it may well end up with us getting a deduction, it may not. Out of my control, so not going to stress about it.

Didn't say you had to stress about it. But your 'as would always have happened' puts a very clear 'nothing to see here' take as if there's a degree of certainty this is routine. That the journalist scoops are made up based purely on a bet we'll have failed to meet the plan and they'll come out looking in the know, like some kid on twitter. When in fact these are credible journalists with genuine sources, and the current review by the FL may be much more than just a routine that 'would always have happened'.

Just because you don't want to worry about it, doesn't mean that there's nothing more to it than routine.

Yeah it's that really, we know nothing more concrete than, it's just a review of the case, however I can't see several journalists and different sources all being wrong about the same thing. Even though it's just speculation, it's obviously come from somewhere so I'm expecting a deduction. However, hopefully if we do have to resubmit anything or there is some sort of misunderstanding somewhere, then that would be the best possible outcome and we just complete the season as normal. But it's obviously beyond the norm, because it's in the news. The EFL don't hand out club statement publicly each time they assess a clubs' accounts.

If not, we take the hit, move on and aim to survive which is still more than achievable.

I still think it's linked to our operating costs, I know we've recently lost out category one status, but maybe it's things like that along with other day-to-day operations that are, quite literally, costing us. Having all these facilities is great, but only if you can actually afford the upkeep. I'm not in-the-know or anything, but that's just a theory. We seem to have these fantastic facilities and had (and looking to regain) a category one status academy, but the drawback on that is cost.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, will these set of accounts also take into account the £8m sale of Michael Olise? If we are still beyond budgets even after including that fee, then what state are we going to be in for the next financial year if that's the case?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2023 22:12

Snowflake Royal
Stranded

The obvious position, and entirely plausible one is that towards the end of the period we are under ‘parole’ for we’d be required to submit evidence that we’ve met the conditions we were set. It’s pretty much inconceivable that wouldn’t happen.
We know the club were confident just a few weeks ago that they were on target to be compliant.
It’s a jump to assume we’re not compliant based on a journalist saying we might possibly not be, without any explanation of why or how.
There may be issues, they may or may not be significant enough to mean we get punished but I haven’t seen anyone make a credible suggestion as to what those issues might be.
Obviously some people on various SM seem desperate for the speculation to be true and if it is they can feel happy they backed the right (hobby) horse.
Frankly we’re all shooting in the dark right now and it’s impossible to get a proper idea of where we might be. It is interesting that the EFL statement says they are looking at whether compliance has been achieved rather than potential non compliance.
My expectation (pure guess work) is we’ll be essentially compliant in terms of the business plan but still not fully where we need to be in terms of losses. I think we’ll see our restrictions loosened but extended for a year, possibly allowing us to pay fees and higher wages but requiring EFL sign off of them.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 01 Mar 2023 22:17

Elm Park Kid It gets depressing seeing how people can people can take exactly the same information and come up with wildly different interpretation, no wonder our politics is in such a mess.

When multiple football journalists report the same thing that means that there is something in it. And when their reports match up with basic logic and things we already know (the club does seem to have signed a lot of players that won't have been cheap), we can have a bit more confidence in them being true. Does that mean they are 100% certain - no, of course not. But it's reasonable for people to want to discuss the consequences if they are true.

You can't take the EFL statement at face value to mean that they are still actually evaluating things. All that means is that they haven't communicated an official outcome.

Ivan Toney’s statement on his case is a perfect example of what I’m talking about.

I was shocked and disappointed to see press speculation
yesterday and today
about The FA investigation process concerning me after I
have been told by The
FA that it is a confidential process until any decision has
been made. It is especially disturbing for me to read that The FA is saying I shall be banned from football for 6 months before there has even been a hearing, and it does make me worried about the process. My lawyers will be writing to The FA to request that they conduct a leak inquiry, as this is the second time stories have appeared in the newspapers -the last time was just before the selection of the England World Cup squad. As I continue to be told the investigation is meant to be confidential, I am unable to provide any further comment, and shall continue to concentrate on my
football.

The sources in our case may well be correct, they may be from high up in the EFL…but publicly, nothing has been officially decided yet. I wish the club would take a similar approach to Toney, especially after the EFL statement, which, as I said earlier, came out as the speculation became increasingly feverish on Twitter. ‘Thats how the media works’ isn’t an excuse. Allow the process to take place.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 01 Mar 2023 22:24

Elm Park Kid It gets depressing seeing how people can people can take exactly the same information and come up with wildly different interpretation, no wonder our politics is in such a mess.

Multiple journalists all just repeating what the previous one said is not proof of anything !
We know that the players the club have signed have not cost anything in transfer fees, loan fees or agent fees and have had their wages strictly limited. We know this is true because the EFL control what we can spend.
You are taking things we know not to be true and using them to prove something, even concluding the EFL have judged us, found us guilty and can’t be bothered to tell anyone !

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 01 Mar 2023 22:39

The accounts that are due to be published relate to last season. Those were already taken into consideration when we were sanctioned last season. For this year we will be giving updates of income and expenditure, forecast through to 30 June, the financial year end.

I think we’ve probably broken the total losses of £13m for the year. Suspect this has happened as a consequence of several things. Firstly match day income will be down as attendances have been low, energy prices have rocketed and that’s probably a decent sized cost because of floodlights, heat lamps, etc

Finally I expect the plan was predicated on one of either Joao or Moore leaving at some point (either summer or Jan) and we haven’t been able to do that because of their injuries. Therefore, we can’t get a chunk off the wage bill resulting in our losses exceeding those planned. It does make the signing of Casadei a little surprising, but it probably shows we’re paying buttons towards his wages.

If we’ve broken the business plan, then the 6 points suspended will almost definitely be applied. If our breach os for something else, like irregularities or wrong doings, then a different penalty will probably apply. If we have overspent, then I fully expect we will have to agree another business plan for next season, and therefore have our spending curtailed again with a de facto transfer embargo again.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Mar 2023 22:50

3points The accounts that are due to be published relate to last season. Those were already taken into consideration when we were sanctioned last season. For this year we will be giving updates of income and expenditure, forecast through to 30 June, the financial year end.

I think we’ve probably broken the total losses of £13m for the year. Suspect this has happened as a consequence of several things. Firstly match day income will be down as attendances have been low, energy prices have rocketed and that’s probably a decent sized cost because of floodlights, heat lamps, etc

Finally I expect the plan was predicated on one of either Joao or Moore leaving at some point (either summer or Jan) and we haven’t been able to do that because of their injuries. Therefore, we can’t get a chunk off the wage bill resulting in our losses exceeding those planned. It does make the signing of Casadei a little surprising, but it probably shows we’re paying buttons towards his wages.

If we’ve broken the business plan, then the 6 points suspended will almost definitely be applied. If our breach os for something else, like irregularities or wrong doings, then a different penalty will probably apply. If we have overspent, then I fully expect we will have to agree another business plan for next season, and therefore have our spending curtailed again with a de facto transfer embargo again.

We also sacked Pauno. Whilst paying him and his backroom staff off wouldn't have cost lots it also may have been a factor.

hobbitx007

by hobbitx007 » 01 Mar 2023 23:12

With the embargo due to expire at the end of the season it is entirely appropriate for the EFL to REVIEW the status of penalties applied previously. That is all it is - a REVIEW. It does not mean any rules have been broken or any further penalties will be applied UNLESS that discover something as part of this review and I am sure we will get notified about this. Typical journalistic work of making 1+1=3 nd create some sensationalist reporting.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Mar 2023 23:55

Whatever way you look at it we are doomed. Even if we stay up with or without the six point deduction with so many players out of contract at the end of the season, and no money to spend on new ones with low paid free transfers and some loans it will be inevitable we will be a league one club. Maybe we should start collecting coins in buckets outside the stadium on match day let’s face it, it didn’t do Bournemouth any harm!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 01 Mar 2023 23:59

Jackson Corner Whatever way you look at it we are doomed. Even if we stay up with or without the six point deduction with so many players out of contract at the end of the season, and no money to spend on new ones with low paid free transfers and some loans it will be inevitable we will be a league one club. Maybe we should start collecting coins in buckets outside the stadium on match day let’s face it, it didn’t do Bournemouth any harm!

Have to hope Bowen stays as he was instrumental in the signings that have kept us midtable

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 02 Mar 2023 00:03

Royal_jimmy
3points The accounts that are due to be published relate to last season. Those were already taken into consideration when we were sanctioned last season. For this year we will be giving updates of income and expenditure, forecast through to 30 June, the financial year end.

We also sacked Pauno. Whilst paying him and his backroom staff off wouldn't have cost lots it also may have been a factor.

It wouldn't have made any difference as we would have had to pay them till the end of the season anyway. The only additional costs would have been hiring Paul Ince and Alex Rae.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Mar 2023 05:44

Last season was not taken into account. We breached for the period upto the end of 20/21. Losses upto and including the end of that season were flattened to 13m per season.

We could only lose 13m last season so as not to breach FFP again. A tough ask.

There are many ways we may have breached, many of which have nothing to do with this season

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Mar 2023 06:37

At the end of the day PL clubs are allowed to wildly spend dosh they haven’t got while FL clubs aren’t (esp. if they aren’t a “name”). The entire system is utterly bent and until someone takes action to level it out and spell out clear punishments for each type of infingement clubs will continue to be mired in risk and ambiguity (much better too that those infringements are spotted and acted on at the time and none of this stupid averaging things over seasons which leads to so much “greyness” and opportunity for “creative accounting”). Hoping the FLR (when finally agreed) does something in this area very soon esp. over the stupidity of parachute payments for relegated clubs.

Gandalf Presley

by Gandalf Presley » 02 Mar 2023 07:57

Maybe looking for context/meaning when it doesn't exist but could this part explain ince's agitation in recent interviews. Although the football can be unappealing, has done a good job in the circumstances. However, if in vain due to "oops I did it again" (thanks Britney) then can understand the frustration. I almost long for the days when we complained about keeping a too tight a grain on spending...

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 02 Mar 2023 08:00

Gandalf Presley Maybe looking for context/meaning when it doesn't exist but could this part explain ince's agitation in recent interviews. Although the football can be unappealing, has done a good job in the circumstances. However, if in vain due to "oops I did it again" (thanks Britney) then can understand the frustration. I almost long for the days when we complained about keeping a too tight a grain on spending...

Except it isn’t in vain. Even if some kind of deduction is applied thanks to Ince’s efforts we’d still be well placed to stay up,

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Mar 2023 08:02

I think his agitation is entirely down to Dellor being an absolute wet wipe

763 posts