763 posts
kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Points Deduction AGAIN

by kwik-silva » 04 Mar 2023 14:58

Sutekh
kwik-silva
Snowball

The "problem" with a six-point deduction this season is it will be water off a duck's back.

It's very, VERY unlikely to take us down

So, IF we are penalised this season, I think it will be 12+

If it's just 6 points, I think it would be applied next year.

There are rules around when a punishment is applied. Basically, if it's handed down before the end of March it'll apply this season, after that I believe it's applied next season if the club finish in the bottom three without it, or this season if we finish above that.

The fact that it sounds like it's coming next week suggests it will apply this year.

Didn’t Wigan get hit with a deduction in June (the penultimate month of the season (so technically the equivalent of the April of the normal season)) when they went down in 2020?

Yep, and because they weren't relegated without the deduction, it was applied in that year. Had Wigan been relegated in 2020 without the points deduction it would have applied in 2020/21! https://www.efl.com/news/2020/july/efl- ... -athletic/

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Mar 2023 15:00

Snowflake Royal
Snowball
Royal_jimmy 12 point deduction would be very harsh. What we've done is nowhere near as bad as Derby who lost 21 points. We'll have lost 18 in 2 seasons.

It'll be 6 points.

The "problem" with a six-point deduction this season is it will be water off a duck's back.

It's very, VERY unlikely to take us down

So, IF we are penalised this season, I think it will be 12+

If it's just 6 points, I think it would be applied next year.

You can't just change a suspended sentence just because it won’t have a big effect, that is not how enforcing regulation works.

Snowball isn't entirely wrong, but I don't think it applies here.

I think there have been instances in the past of clubs deliberately entering administration and triggering the associated points deduction when it is inconsequential (already relegated, or safe either way). In those instances, the authorities rightly take a dim view and shift the punishment to the next season.

As we're seemingly being punished off the EFL's initiative, for something that did allegedly happened before the season started, I don't see why the EFL should consider the impact of their sanction in that way. We're not playing the system, at least not that aspect of it. The aim of the punishment isn't relegation.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2023 16:44

Not read all this but why all the bad mouthing of the EFL? Aren't we still yet to even learn what we are accuses of?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2023 16:57

Winston Biscuit Not read all this but why all the bad mouthing of the EFL? Aren't we still yet to even learn what we are accuses of?

Some people seem not to be able to accept that if we get punished it's because the club is appallingly run and entirely self-inflicted

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Mar 2023 17:14

People understand that perfectly, Ian.

What we are annoyed about is the EFL seemingly going back and inventing new ways to punish us for the things they've already punished us for.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 04 Mar 2023 17:19

Orion1871 People understand that perfectly, Ian.

What we are annoyed about is the EFL seemingly going back and inventing new ways to punish us for the things they've already punished us for.

The principle of ffp also needs to be changed so clubs can be sanctioned at the time or at least during the same season a misdemeanour occurs not several years down the road.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Mar 2023 17:21

What exactly are they punishing us for?

fred sharpes nose

by fred sharpes nose » 04 Mar 2023 17:31

Lose at home to the Blades Tuesday, 6 points docked Wednesday drop to 21st below Cardiff on GD on 38 points. Tuesday also Hudders home to Bristol, Wigan away to the Baggies. Gonna be an interesting night - going in to next weekend fixtures best case 6 points above Blackpool worst case 3 above Wigan. Then 11 games of doom and gloom struggle with the 3 below us and the 3 above us. What a bloody bummer

Tuesday is a big night

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Mar 2023 17:35

fred sharpes nose Lose at home to the Blades Tuesday, 6 points docked Wednesday drop to 21st below Cardiff on GD on 38 points. Tuesday also Hudders home to Bristol, Wigan away to the Baggies. Gonna be an interesting night - going in to next weekend fixtures best case 6 points above Blackpool worst case 3 above Wigan. Then 11 games of doom and gloom struggle with the 3 below us and the 3 above us. What a bloody bummer

Don't want to tempt fate but Sheff Utd haven't won away in the league this year yet and for whatever reason our home form is still holding up.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 04 Mar 2023 18:02

tidus_mi2
fred sharpes nose Lose at home to the Blades Tuesday, 6 points docked Wednesday drop to 21st below Cardiff on GD on 38 points. Tuesday also Hudders home to Bristol, Wigan away to the Baggies. Gonna be an interesting night - going in to next weekend fixtures best case 6 points above Blackpool worst case 3 above Wigan. Then 11 games of doom and gloom struggle with the 3 below us and the 3 above us. What a bloody bummer

Don't want to tempt fate but Sheff Utd haven't won away in the league this year yet and for whatever reason our home form is still holding up.

I think you have.

An easy 3 pts for SheffU it is.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 04 Mar 2023 18:19

PieEater
tidus_mi2

I think you have.

Feel free to blame me of course.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 04 Mar 2023 18:42

tidus_mi2
PieEater
tidus_mi2 Don't want to tempt fate but Sheff Utd haven't won away in the league this year yet and for whatever reason our home form is still holding up.

I think you have.

Feel free to blame me of course.

I made the same point on the Team Board…we can share the blame…

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Mar 2023 19:18

Winston Biscuit

What exactly are they punishing us for?

I think it’s crimes against football how we play our away games

It’s not fair on anyone

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2023 19:46

Clearly not, because that's obviously not what they're going to be doing.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Mar 2023 19:49

Sutekh

The principle of ffp also needs to be changed so clubs can be sanctioned at the time or at least during the same season a misdemeanour occurs not several years down the road.

Pretty impossible to do when accounts are only published 9 months after the season finishes and the money doesn't have to route through an independent regulator.

That, imo, would be the ideal solution. All player wages go through the PFA or an independent regulator, all transfer fees and registrations etc go through an independent regulator. Including bullshit like image rights, sponsorships etc. Contracts sorted out by lawyers not dodgy thieving bastard agents...

elrey

by elrey » 05 Mar 2023 00:35

Kitsondinho
Coppells Lost Coat If true - which I think atm its all hyperbole - it would prove that the EFL business plan was impossible to follow and its intention was to make sure we fail.

Exactly. The EFL isn’t fit for purpose!

To be honest, without it, the club might simply have folded. So I wouldn't attack the EFL and their policies of trying, under difficult circumstances, to make a workable system happen when everyone's trying to eak out an advantage.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2023 01:08

+1

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Mar 2023 06:39

elrey
Kitsondinho
Coppells Lost Coat If true - which I think atm its all hyperbole - it would prove that the EFL business plan was impossible to follow and its intention was to make sure we fail.

Exactly. The EFL isn’t fit for purpose!

To be honest, without it, the club might simply have folded. So I wouldn't attack the EFL and their policies of trying, under difficult circumstances, to make a workable system happen when everyone's trying to eak out an advantage.

It’s these governing authorities that cause much of the problem in the first place, particularly the Premier League, which is a prime case of the tail wagging the dog.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Mar 2023 09:35

The problem is absolutely the PL dominated by the super rich big 6 and the terror of relegation and not returning from the rest.

The creation of the PL has been a disaster for the integrity of the pyramid.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 05 Mar 2023 10:43

Tuesday is a big night

If somehow we do manage to win on Tuesday night, as unlikely as it probably is, it is nailed on any points deduction will be 12+, even 18.

763 posts