Points Deduction AGAIN

763 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Points Deduction AGAIN

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Apr 2023 12:40

Stranded Relegation betting shows the opposite - Bet365 have us at 20/1 for the drop

do you get a cash out option with Bet365?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Apr 2023 13:39

Stranded
Sutekh
Stranded
If EFL hold true, any announcement, if one is ever to come, will be released between 4.30 and 5pm UK time - so not even worth checking on things until then each day I would say.

There has to be a cut off point surely? You can't keep clubs in the dark then suddenly say on the last day of the season, or after, here's the 6 point deduction we've been promising you.

It now seems to becoming an utter farce of a system and utter farce of a governing body.

The terms of the decision the club agreed to says 6 points will be deducted from the 2022/23 total should there be a breach of the business plan before the 30th June 2023. There is no deadline set on when that deduction may apply - I agree there should be but as the decision was agreed by the club, I am not sure if there is anything the club could do about it.

It does mean we are in the stupid position that the team could go to Huddersfield on the last day, win and therefore save themselves only to be relegated the next day by a deduction.

In practice, I would be surprised if it happened that way but it could - so the club have to act like it has happened as that is the worst case. If it doesn't then great.

The ridiculous thing is that Football League fixtures are released a week before that 30th June 2023 date, so it's conceivable that the fixtures might be released then have to be completely redone for the Championship and L1.

And it's not just a question of substituting one team for another, as all sorts of local factors apply in the fixtures compilation (e.g. we always need to be away (or police-free) when the Reading Festival is on and so on...). So they'd have to be completely redone, as changing the fixtures for one team has a knock-on effect for all the others in their division.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Apr 2023 13:40

Royal_jimmy
Mid Sussex Royal
The Royal Forester I remember the days at Elm Park when we thought 8000 was a MASSIVE crowd. when we were in the third tier. Please remind of our lowest attendance at E P, was it something like 3-4000? If Dai was to put the club up for sale who would buy it having to pay umpteen million to pay of the club's debt? With no buyer, he could easily just let the club go bust (just like two others he has owned). He can just cut his loses, to save having to lose yet more money, keeping the club afloat, Remember he will still own the Stadium and Training Ground, a nice bit of property to keep hold of or sell on for other purposes to help reduce his loss. I imagine the training Ground could be converted to a sporting complex quite easily, the stadium could be harder to sell but even that could be leased out to become a speedway track, athletics track and/or other sports.

Less than that, early 80's gates, during the bad hooliganism era, they were regularly less than 3k.

I'd hope that the FA or EFL would put something in to stop things like this happening to a club

You are joking, right? How many clubs have they let go bust? If this club did go bust, the FA or EFL would have no say in what the owner does with HIS property.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2023 13:45

Dirk Gently
Stranded
Sutekh
There has to be a cut off point surely? You can't keep clubs in the dark then suddenly say on the last day of the season, or after, here's the 6 point deduction we've been promising you.

It now seems to becoming an utter farce of a system and utter farce of a governing body.

The terms of the decision the club agreed to says 6 points will be deducted from the 2022/23 total should there be a breach of the business plan before the 30th June 2023. There is no deadline set on when that deduction may apply - I agree there should be but as the decision was agreed by the club, I am not sure if there is anything the club could do about it.

It does mean we are in the stupid position that the team could go to Huddersfield on the last day, win and therefore save themselves only to be relegated the next day by a deduction.

In practice, I would be surprised if it happened that way but it could - so the club have to act like it has happened as that is the worst case. If it doesn't then great.

The ridiculous thing is that Football League fixtures are released a week before that 30th June 2023 date, so it's conceivable that the fixtures might be released then have to be completely redone for the Championship and L1.

And it's not just a question of substituting one team for another, as all sorts of local factors apply in the fixtures compilation (e.g. we always need to be away (or police-free) when the Reading Festival is on and so on...). So they'd have to be completely redone, as changing the fixtures for one team has a knock-on effect for all the others in their division.

Well they did basically release fixtures where Derby and Wycombe were interchangable last season, so they could do the same. There are multiple other issues regarding player contracts etc though which could be messed up if we are not sure of which division we are in until the end of June. We would likely miss out on players as well, as we wouldn't be able to offer any interesting free agents a deal until everything ratified.

Realistically and to be fair to all, this really has to be done this week. Doesn't mean it will be of course.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2023 14:02

Stranded
Dirk Gently
Stranded

Well they did basically release fixtures where Derby and Wycombe were interchangable last season, so they could do the same. There are multiple other issues regarding player contracts etc though which could be messed up if we are not sure of which division we are in until the end of June. We would likely miss out on players as well, as we wouldn't be able to offer any interesting free agents a deal until everything ratified.

Realistically and to be fair to all, this really has to be done this week. Doesn't mean it will be of course.

But wasn't that done due to a legal appeal that was happening not just because everyone was waiting for FL to decide to apply the actual points deduction? I would say applying a points deduction to a club for a season past in the month June is utterly ludicrous and actually brings the game into disrepute.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 03 Apr 2023 14:06

Norfolk Royal My most regular attending would have been in the late 70s to early 80s. Don't remember the above with regular crowds below 3k. Lowest I remember was when we got relegated down to the old 4th division by Rotherham when it was around 3K.

Always thought we were slightly above average attendance wise for lower league teams around that time. When we were promoted from the old fourth division, Tranmere game etc, I think we were up well above the 10k.

Then there was the Southampton home cup game late 70s where we rammed in 25k.

Our historic average
http://european-football-statistics.co. ... e/read.htm

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2023 14:17

Sutekh
Stranded
Dirk Gently

But wasn't that done due to a legal appeal that was happening not just because everyone was waiting for FL to decide to apply the actual points deduction? I would say applying a points deduction to a club for a season past in the month June is utterly ludicrous and actually brings the game into disrepute.

I'm not disagreeing. The only point here is that the agreement the club accepted stated that the points could be deducted from the 22/23 season total for a breach of the business plan (and a few other reasons) that occured up to the 30th June.

Now how that transpires in reality is open to question and there is a question of fairness of it being applied this late in the season or post-season. I would say it is fair as the club agreed to it and it only comes into play as a result of "cheating" but it is not a great situation.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2023 14:23

tmesis
Norfolk Royal My most regular attending would have been in the late 70s to early 80s. Don't remember the above with regular crowds below 3k. Lowest I remember was when we got relegated down to the old 4th division by Rotherham when it was around 3K.

Always thought we were slightly above average attendance wise for lower league teams around that time. When we were promoted from the old fourth division, Tranmere game etc, I think we were up well above the 10k.

Our historic average

1982/83 is the lowest average ever at 3459, that was the season that the club were relegated to tier 4 and news of the Thames Valley Royals broke (which actually may have boosted the attendances as people decided to rally behind the club). Overall since 1920 Reading look to be approx the 48th best supported club in the country

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Apr 2023 14:28

Sutekh
tmesis

Our historic average

1982/83 is the lowest average ever at 3459, that was the season that the club were relegated to tier 4 and news of the Thames Valley Royals broke (which actually may have boosted the attendances as people decided to rally behind the club). Overall since 1920 Reading look to be approx the 48th best supported club in the country

I wonder how that corresponds to our average finishing position over the same time - would guess we are on average, not far off the 48th best team in the country.

EDIT: Someone has worked it out and since joining the league in 1920, we are the 55th best team with an average finishing position of 53rd - or 9th in League 1.

So we are actually slightly better supported than our historic position in the pecking order says we should be.

http://alltimeleaguetable.co.uk/

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Apr 2023 15:04

What’s happening with this points deduction?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Apr 2023 15:42

Mañana.

Always mañana.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Apr 2023 16:21

SouthDownsRoyal What’s happening with this points deduction?

however many points we get deducted, that is how many thousands of posts the winner of this thread gets wiped off of their postcount

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Apr 2023 16:35

Winston Biscuit

however many points we get deducted, that is how many thousands of posts the winner of this thread gets wiped off of their postcount

How does one win this thread?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Apr 2023 17:03

Another 5pm, still in the dark about the deduction, see you same time tomorrow gentlemen!

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Apr 2023 17:08

SouthDownsRoyal
Winston Biscuit

Longest named compass point location royal

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Apr 2023 17:28

Winston Biscuit
SouthDownsRoyal
Winston Biscuit

Longest named compass point location royal

Boooooooo

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Apr 2023 17:29

Stranded
Sutekh

I wonder how that corresponds to our average finishing position over the same time - would guess we are on average, not far off the 48th best team in the country.

EDIT: Someone has worked it out and since joining the league in 1920, we are the 55th best team with an average finishing position of 53rd - or 9th in League 1.

So we are actually slightly better supported than our historic position in the pecking order says we should be.

http://alltimeleaguetable.co.uk/

Just 2 places below Barcelona and Hove Albion I see.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 03 Apr 2023 18:30

Now according to JLow, 6pt deduction expected this week, he's been told this from various sources.

Did he even have sources?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Apr 2023 19:08

tidus_mi2 Now according to JLow, 6pt deduction expected this week, he's been told this from various sources.

Paul Ince probably

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 03 Apr 2023 19:09

Hound
tidus_mi2 Now according to JLow, 6pt deduction expected this week, he's been told this from various sources.

Paul Ince probably

LOL

Don’t people just keep saying expected this week week after week so in the end they will be right?

763 posts