New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by The Royal Forester » 20 Jun 2023 14:16

morganb Are we going to cover the hunt for a new Women's manager on this thread or start a new one as Kelly Chambers is due to leave the club. Not really a surprise.

I wonder if they will appoint a new manager sooner than the Men's team?

The Women's World thread is best to debate the Woman's Manager. Unless, of course, the club only appoint one manager to cover both teams to save on cost;. Maybe, that is what has caused the delay in making an appointment?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jun 2023 18:43

Franconian Royal I don't usually post on here because it really is depressing, but I've got a couple of things I want to let out:

1. I'm over on Twitter (not a poster) and some of the racist vitriol towards the owner is despicable.

2. The owners need to really get on with it and show us they mean business. I saw, after the message from Pang was released, that apparently there was an 80%+ chance of it being AI-generated, can anyone confirm this?

3. As someone has posted, I don't think anyone would come here knowing that there might be problems putting a team out etc., so just give Mark Bowen, NHunt or Gilksey it for the time being.

4. I'm a little worried for those whose jobs are in danger as all this can't exactly be having a great effect on their mental health.

I'll leave now.

2, I could ask one of my team to run it, but it's not a great use of our resources tbh.

Weymouth (?) says he knows the person who wrote it.

3, Derby managed to get a manager and squad last season, and they were in a worse starting position than us squad wise. Someone will always have a crack.

elrey

by elrey » 21 Jun 2023 04:51

On Strings
elrey I don't know this guy, so I can't really criticize him, just hope if he's appointed that he's good.

You are Dai Yongge AICMFP.

什么?

elrey

by elrey » 21 Jun 2023 04:52

Stranded
elrey
Stranded People I think are mis-reading the situation here.

If Selles comes in this week (or soon) it will be as Head Coach not as Manager.

To me at least, it seems as though the set up we are looking for is Bowen & Carey have responsability for recruitment - working with Dublin or whoever his replacement may be - so they will bring in the players to suit the overall style the club want to move towards. A head coach will be appointed who can enhance that style using the tools supplied to him.

Now, someone will of course say, well what about Wilder. Wilder is a very good manager, who happened to become available - as a result, it was absolutely right to speak to him and see if a deal could be done - it seems that it was close but that there were too many compromises on both sides to make it a good fit, finances in terms of paying of staff, employing new staff etc (and transfer kitts) will all have been issues - all parties need to be happy.

So Selles fits what appears to be the model. Is he my #1 choice, no probably not, but he does have decent experience - including being Assistant at Copenhagen where they made the last 16 in the Europa Conference and won the Danish Title - so he has experience of winning things - he came into a Soton side on the way down.

Now he will come into the club at a very low ebb but the squad we have now will not be the squad he ends up working with - having looked at him, there is enough there to think he could be a good fit but people will, understandably, look at the time at Soton and go nah.

Sometimes you throw the dice with an inexperienced manager and it works. Sometimes you appoint an experienced manager and it doesn't..... I don't know this guy, so I can't really criticize him, just hope if he's appointed that he's good.

Indeed but again he won't be a "manager" in the way we would be used to, he'll be a head coach as the non-playing things you generally expect a manager to handle as well will be taken on by Bowen and co esp the key area of contracts and recruitment.

Doesn't really matter. The term "manager" will still be used for the guy who MANAGES the players, picks the team etc. It's just the words we use for football.

Unless you want to call it "soccer" with "shutouts" and all that bhollks.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2023 08:24

elrey
Stranded People I think are mis-reading the situation here.

If Selles comes in this week (or soon) it will be as Head Coach not as Manager.

To me at least, it seems as though the set up we are looking for is Bowen & Carey have responsability for recruitment - working with Dublin or whoever his replacement may be - so they will bring in the players to suit the overall style the club want to move towards. A head coach will be appointed who can enhance that style using the tools supplied to him.

Now, someone will of course say, well what about Wilder. Wilder is a very good manager, who happened to become available - as a result, it was absolutely right to speak to him and see if a deal could be done - it seems that it was close but that there were too many compromises on both sides to make it a good fit, finances in terms of paying of staff, employing new staff etc (and transfer kitts) will all have been issues - all parties need to be happy.

So Selles fits what appears to be the model. Is he my #1 choice, no probably not, but he does have decent experience - including being Assistant at Copenhagen where they made the last 16 in the Europa Conference and won the Danish Title - so he has experience of winning things - he came into a Soton side on the way down.

Now he will come into the club at a very low ebb but the squad we have now will not be the squad he ends up working with - having looked at him, there is enough there to think he could be a good fit but people will, understandably, look at the time at Soton and go nah.

Sometimes you throw the dice with an inexperienced manager and it works. Sometimes you appoint an experienced manager and it doesn't..... I don't know this guy, so I can't really criticize him, just hope if he's appointed that he's good.

I am with Elrey on this. You gotta make omelettes when you break eggs!

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jun 2023 15:32

Sounds like we’re just waiting on a work permit for Selles.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ading-job/

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Jun 2023 15:54

No doubt he will fail like all the other recent managers. In the recent 1871 Coppell interview podcast, his main piece of advice for aspiring managers was pick the right club as at many you have no chance. That probably sums up his Soton spell and now this appointment - RIP his managerial career in England.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but once again we don't look remotely set up for a manager to succeed, which is why we have to scrape the barrel with our appointment.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Jun 2023 15:56

Former Southampton manager Rubén Sellés has agreed to take charge of Reading to oversee their attempt to return to the Championship following relegation last season.

The Spaniard, 40, has been in talks this week over becoming the successor to Paul Ince, who was sacked in April with Noel Hunt seeing out the campaign as interim manager at the Madejski Stadium.

An agreement has been reached between club and manager, with the deal at the paperwork stage before an announcement is made. His arrival will be subject to work-permit approval, which was granted by the Football Association when he was appointed at St Mary’s.

While at the south-coast club, Sellés earned wins against Chelsea and Leicester City to raise hopes of survival but they were the only victories during his tenure. One of his team’s best performances was at Arsenal but conceding two late goals meant they could only draw 3-3.

After relegation was confirmed, Sellés revealed his disappointment at not being able to turn around results after taking over from Nathan Jones in February.

“You saw an identity, you saw a team that wants to play together,” he said. “I tried to put everything every time with this sort of mentality and in that part I did my best and that’s the reality.”

Sellés will join a club who have the threat of a second EFL points deduction in 18 months hanging over them. They have been charged with failing to pay their players on time and in full on three occasions last season, for the October, November and April wage bill.

Owner Dai Yongge has also been charged with causing the club to be in breach of EFL regulations.

It has been announced that Yakou Meite has left the club after turning down a new contract, while Romania international George Puscas has turned his loan to Genoa into a permanent deal.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/06/21/ex-southampton-boss-ruben-selles-set-to-take-reading-job/

On Strings

by On Strings » 21 Jun 2023 16:09

If anything, he's a good fitness coach lol. It's him or a random who's perhaps even less deserving of a chance.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 21 Jun 2023 16:14

I know it isn't the popular view but I am prepared to give Selles a chance, he was very well thought of at Southampton and lets face it, they were down before he took over. He did improve them too.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2023 16:19

It just feels exactly the same as every othe appointments (bar Ince) we've made under Dai. I thought this time would be different. But that's on me.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 21 Jun 2023 16:29

NathStPaul I know it isn't the popular view but I am prepared to give Selles a chance, he was very well thought of at Southampton and lets face it, they were down before he took over. He did improve them too.

The question for me is whether we're able to give him a chance. I don't mean the fans; I mean the club. Does he share Bowen's vision? Can/will we help him recruit the right players to suit it?

If the answer to the above questions is no, he is destined to fail just like past managers. But if yes, he is in pre season then maybe he has a chance.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Jun 2023 16:30

Christ it's getting more and more depressing by the minute, won't these idiots ever learn?

On Strings

by On Strings » 21 Jun 2023 16:30

WestYorksRoyal
NathStPaul I know it isn't the popular view but I am prepared to give Selles a chance, he was very well thought of at Southampton and lets face it, they were down before he took over. He did improve them too.

The question for me is whether we're able to give him a chance. I don't mean the fans; I mean the club. Does he share Bowen's vision

I'm sure he'll be asked all sorts of questions about the uncertainty at the Club.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 21 Jun 2023 16:32

I was initially hacked off when I heard the news last week but now I agree with you. I think we need to support him and the players more than ever now.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jun 2023 16:37

After his Saints dismissal

Ruben Selles:

"After the match against Brighton [on 21 May] they called me in for a meeting the next day, where they told me that they wanted to go in a different direction. I respect that and it is the club’s decision,”

“I would have liked to have stayed and continued with the project, because I now know everything at Southampton. I know the players, what personnel we need for the coaching staff, the environment and the country. But again, it’s not my decision. They made a different decision and I respect that.”

"I have already spoken to clubs in England and Spain. Let’s see who’s interested in talking to me and starting a project together,”

"I have always said that I have had four fantastic years in Denmark at Århus and Copenhagen respectively. I have good personal and football memories. My family had a very good time in Denmark, so I am open to a job there,”

“I consider the Superliga to be a good league, so if it happens and someone is interested, it will be my pleasure."

“My priority is to get to a place where I feel that the club believes in me straight away and where I can be allowed to develop a project that can be taken to a new level. I want a place that trusts my plans right away. There is an ambition to deliver results, but it is also about time when you want to establish yourself at a new level.”

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 21 Jun 2023 16:40

Ok, that last paragraph is good. I'm in.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 21 Jun 2023 16:48

What’s going on with Chris Wilder?

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 21 Jun 2023 17:22

I can't say anything positive about this appointment is it's almost the exact opposite of what I wanted us to do.

But, then, what do I know. Time will tell.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 21 Jun 2023 17:42

As I said in the other thread if this is a genuine Bowen choice after considering all options then I’m in. There must be something about him

If it ends up being some shitty agent tie in then he and Dai can F off

768 posts