New manager rumours and speculation

768 posts
windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager rumours and speculation

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jun 2023 11:00

Mikel Arteta was only a coach before Arsenal picked him up, just sayin.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Jun 2023 12:23

:lol:
windermereROYAL Mikel Arteta was only a coach before Arsenal picked him up, just sayin.

The setup at Arsenal is different. They have money and excellent staff.
They could be patient whilst they went through a change.

We have Mark Bowen, an embargo and an owner who clearly has no idea.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 Jun 2023 12:26

Ascotexgunner :lol:
windermereROYAL
We have Mark Bowen, an embargo and an owner who clearly has no idea.

Yeah, but apart from that...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jun 2023 13:40

Don’t think Arsenals owner had much of a clue either tbh

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2023 14:40

windermereROYAL Mikel Arteta was only a coach before Arsenal picked him up, just sayin.

There are only 2 ways into management really - direct from being a player or working up to it by being a coach - you aren't going to suddenly see someone come in from managing Tesco's to managing a football club. Also again, Selles, if appointed, is apparently going to be a Head Coach not a manager - there is a small but key distinction between the two.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Jun 2023 15:03

Stranded

There are only 2 ways into management really - direct from being a player or working up to it by being a coach - you aren't going to suddenly see someone come in from managing Tesco's to managing a football club. Also again, Selles, if appointed, is apparently going to be a Head Coach not a manager - there is a small but key distinction between the two.

This old line again :roll: head coach or manager makes no difference, he still picks the team and takes charge of training , and sets the formations. A refuge disposal technician is still a fcuking Bin Man.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 22 Jun 2023 15:06

He had quite a lot of years playing in the English game under Wenger though. Then 3 years as assistant under Pep. That's a pretty good education. He knew the club, the league, the players and fans. His appointment was a risk for Arsenal, but a calculated one.

Then let's look at our situation:

Extreme uncertainty with our ownership and finances. The EFL hanging the sword of damocles over us. Barely half a squad. And now we're bringing in someone with one year's experience of the Premier League. He knows nothing about our club, league, the players or fans. I would describe that as the exact opposite of what we would want right now. I would list ability to inspire confidence and experience of lower league English football as far more important traits than either coaching or tactical skills.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Jun 2023 15:21

Brogue
Stranded

This old line again :roll: head coach or manager makes no difference, he still picks the team and takes charge of training , and sets the formations. A refuge disposal technician is still a fcuking Bin Man.

Mate - its a different job - you can pretend it isn't all you like but it is.

A manager has complete control over the football side of a club - identifies the players he wants, his role is wider than just training and selecting the team.

A Head Coach does just that - his role is to improve the players at his disposal and pick the best team and formation to win games - anything away from that is covered by the DoF or in our case the Head of Football Operations.

Pochettino explained it better whilst at Spurs:

If you are the manager, you decide many things about the club. But if you are a head coach, your responsibility is to play better, try to improve the players and to get positive results.

“At Southampton, I was a manager. My responsibility was not only to coach the team. With Tottenham, I am a head coach. A head coach is head of your department. My department is to train the team.”

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jun 2023 15:34

It seems like the logical job for someone with limited managerial experience but a good coaching background and experienced in that aspect.

Obviously a lot of challenges for him with ourselves, but at the same time a little less pressure on the transfer side of things. He just needs to get the best out of the squad available to him, but obviously a lot of that depends on the squad being right for him.

Good communication between Bowen, the recruitment team and Selles will be pivotal to this working.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2023 17:40

Silver Fox
Snowflake Royal
Ascotexgunner F*ck!!!!!!!......just f*cking f*ck f*ck f*ck.
Can we get a refund on the season ticket.
I can't take another season of watching the same sh*tty smash and grab failed bullshit with f*ck all shots and attempts on goal.

Is that super"c*nt"agent behind this? Lots of managerial options and this is what we come back to.

Have you considered overreacting more? It might help.

Didn't you yourself once demand a season ticket refund because of a change in manager?

I asked for one after McDermott was unjustifiably sacked, in solidarity witt him. Not because I didn't like an appointment after buying one when we didn't have a manager.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2023 17:42

Stranded

A difference that remains semantics

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jun 2023 17:43

Stranded
Brogue
Stranded

A manager has complete control over the football side of a club - identifies the players he wants, his role is wider than just training and selecting the team.

A Head Coach does just that - his role is to improve the players at his disposal and pick the best team and formation to win games - anything away from that is covered by the DoF or in our case the Head of Football Operations.

If you are the manager, you decide many things about the club. But if you are a head coach, your responsibility is to play better, try to improve the players and to get positive results.

“At Southampton, I was a manager. My responsibility was not only to coach the team. With Tottenham, I am a head coach. A head coach is head of your department. My department is to train the team.”

Your definition of a manager is out of the 90s.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 22 Jun 2023 19:09

Stranded
Brogue
Stranded

Do you think Ince was a ‘manager’ in anything other than title? He wouldn’t have any say over how the club was run when Bowen was above him. Pauno? maybe. He might have been a ‘manager’ as you describe. It was suggested that he was getting involved in contract negotiations and stuff, but that was because there was no hierarchy above him (well pang, but he can’t speak English). And that is certainly an exception for a modern day ‘manager’ rather than the norm, and was a needs must in exceptional circumstances.

Most ‘managers’ these days are only head coaches. especially clubs that have roles such as ‘head of football operations’. Most managers don’t stick around long enough to have any say on how the club is run so I just don’t buy into it. If wilder was appointed, he would have only been a head coach too, he may have been given the title of ‘manager’ but he wouldn’t be one as per your description. That’s the whole point of having ‘head of football operations’ - mark Bowen.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jun 2023 21:01

Doesn`t matter anymore, with the latest charge there is serious doubt about our very existence. what manager or player would come here in their right mind?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 22 Jun 2023 21:06

windermereROYAL Doesn`t matter anymore, with the latest charge there is serious doubt about our very existence. what manager or player would come here in their right mind?

That’s a bit over dramatic

Serious doubt?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 22 Jun 2023 21:09

Hound
windermereROYAL Doesn`t matter anymore, with the latest charge there is serious doubt about our very existence. what manager or player would come here in their right mind?

Serious doubt?

Dai not paying tax,, is he pulling the plug?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jun 2023 08:05

Brogue
Stranded

Though probably in prison for demolishing the local women's safety retreat.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 23 Jun 2023 09:57

windermereROYAL
Hound

Serious doubt?

Dai not paying tax,, is he pulling the plug?

It seems that the non-payment of loan players goes hand-in-hand with not paying PAYE - would seem logical that if you've not paid the loan players then HMRC wasn't paid either

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jun 2023 12:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded
Brogue

I mean, I did literally use a quote from someone in the game currently to define the difference, but you know, fine.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Jun 2023 16:27

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded

I mean, I did literally use a quote from someone in the game currently to define the difference, but you know, fine.

With Stranded on this one!

768 posts