The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

538 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The dedicated Chris Wilder thread

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 May 2023 17:00

PATRIQT Carlton Palmer on Wilder to Reading rumours:

"The next appointment is vital for Reading, they need to get that right.

"I think it would be a smart move for Chris, he knows the league, but Chris has to make sure that it's right for him, that the club is in the right financial position so he can make a challenge to take the club back to the Championship.

"The club are going to blame Paul Ince, but the simple facts are that they have been relegated due to the six-point deduction for not following an agreed business plan with the EFL.

"Chris has got to be careful, his next move has got to be spot on and he's got to be successful, but I think it would be a good appointment for both Chris and Reading."

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/got-t ... on-palmer/

I think people say "financial position" like we don't have any money to spend, or that we are close to the brink. We aren't the first/only club that is loaded with debt to an owner and we have an owner that has repeatedly said he is committed to the club and we've obviously seen first hand that he is more than willing to invest in the club. Whilst that's worked against us, we aren't exactly short of cash.

I do think it's a good opportunity for both the club and manager, but obviously one that both have to get right. We get it wrong, who knows where it sends us, if it goes wrong for Wilder then that's his reputation well and truly damaged.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 May 2023 17:39

YorkshireRoyal99

"I think it would be a smart move for Chris, he knows the league, but Chris has to make sure that it's right for him, that the club is in the right financial position so he can make a challenge to take the club back to the Championship.

"The club are going to blame Paul Ince, but the simple facts are that they have been relegated due to the six-point deduction for not following an agreed business plan with the EFL.

"Chris has got to be careful, his next move has got to be spot on and he's got to be successful, but I think it would be a good appointment for both Chris and Reading."

I think people say "financial position" like we don't have any money to spend, or that we are close to the brink. We aren't the first/only club that is loaded with debt to an owner and we have an owner that has repeatedly said he is committed to the club and we've obviously seen first hand that he is more than willing to invest in the club. Whilst that's worked against us, we aren't exactly short of cash.

I do think it's a good opportunity for both the club and manager, but obviously one that both have to get right. We get it wrong, who knows where it sends us, if it goes wrong for Wilder then that's his reputation well and truly damaged.

Owners cash isn't our cash auto-post.

Owner is filthy rich, club is losing money hand over fist still.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 May 2023 17:43

Millsy
Pepe the Horseman Posh are down to 10 men.

It's a bit like Groundhog Day.

Coventry playing?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 May 2023 06:54

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

As per 90% of clubs in England. It's a totally unsustainable system and we aren't alone in being dependent on someone willing to sign cheques*

*aware you aren't saying anything different.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 May 2023 07:14

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

As per 90% of clubs in England. It's a totally unsustainable system and we aren't alone in being dependent on someone willing to sign cheques*

*aware you aren't saying anything different.

God help everyone if the football authorities ever say “only clubs turning a profit will be allowed to enter competitions”. :wink:

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 May 2023 08:59

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

But whilst the owner still owns the club, then that's "ok" because someone is covering those losses. As mentioned, completely unsustainable and we would be in a perilous financial state if the owner was to leave, but so would most/every other club.

I wasn't suggesting the owners cash is our own, but the owners cash is used to fund the club. If he was in a poor financial position, then yes, we'd have a problem.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 12 May 2023 09:23

Wilder now only evens on BetVictor. Not going to happen.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 12 May 2023 09:54

Goal!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 May 2023 13:30

Like odds have anything to do with it.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 12 May 2023 13:53

I really hope we can get Wilder but it’ll depend on who makes the final decision. If it’s Bowen we might get Wilder but if it’s Dayong Pang it’ll be someone like Kolo Toure.

I think we’d be a great project for Wilder, and we have the potential to be a bigger club than Watford. I just want it to be a sensible choice and for the new manager to be given at least 3 years to rebuild the squad and give us back our identity.

Blackbag

by Blackbag » 12 May 2023 15:11

Do people think he may go to Huddersfield instead of us ? He may want to go back up north

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 12 May 2023 15:18

paultheroyal
Millsy
Pepe the Horseman Posh are down to 10 men.

It's a bit like Groundhog Day.

Coventry playing?

Idiots

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 May 2023 16:43

I'd be very happy with YaYa Toure.

But actually i want Owen Hargreaves

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 May 2023 16:44

I wonder if Gylfi could be an option. He'd be good at bringing the kids through.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 12 May 2023 16:55

Greatwesternline I wonder if Gylfi could be an option. He'd be good at bringing the kids through.

:| :roll:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 16 May 2023 13:17

Greatwesternline I'd be very happy with YaYa Toure.

But actually i want Owen Hargreaves

Kolo toure more like

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 May 2023 16:14

YorkshireRoyal99

I don't think Carlton Palmer really did his homework.

The mess financially is down to previous owners appointing the wrong person to run the club (Brian Tevreden interview on the 1871 podcasts only goes to further prove this point). The agreed business plan with the EFL was for us to sell players and bring in money, It was a gamble accepting that business plan because if we had not we would have got a 12 point deduction the year before and been relegated, We chose to accept even though to meet it we had to sell players that nobody wanted to buy and who probably wouldn't have agreed to leave unless we paid up their lucrative over generous contracts, But we went for it in the hope we could ride it out and be so far up the league that the 6 points deduction wouldn't have made too much of an impact. At the halfway point, that gamble looked as though it was paying off.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 May 2023 17:36

The financial mismanagement was from Zingarevich and Yongge. The Thais actually started fixing things before Dai took over, I believe appointed Gourlay, refused to sell Moore, gave Moore a ludicrous Premier League wage 4 year contract, spunked millions up the wall on Puscas and Joao the second we came out of transfer restrictions and has continued to be a oxf*rd disaster since.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 16 May 2023 22:04

Snowflake Royal The financial mismanagement was from Zingarevich and Yongge. The Thais actually started fixing things before Dai took over, I believe appointed Gourlay, refused to sell Moore, gave Moore a ludicrous Premier League wage 4 year contract, spunked millions up the wall on Puscas and Joao the second we came out of transfer restrictions and has continued to be a oxf*rd disaster since.

Gourlay was simply an employee under instruction. Wouldn't have been his decision. Yongge agreed to the £12 million of player sales. Which was unachievable from the outset. That's why Joao never left in the January transfer window. Better he stayed in the hope that he scored goals, that would outweigh the baked in 6 point deduction that was on the way.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 May 2023 00:52

Lower West
Snowflake Royal The financial mismanagement was from Zingarevich and Yongge. The Thais actually started fixing things before Dai took over, I believe appointed Gourlay, refused to sell Moore, gave Moore a ludicrous Premier League wage 4 year contract, spunked millions up the wall on Puscas and Joao the second we came out of transfer restrictions and has continued to be a oxf*rd disaster since.

Gourlay was simply an employee under instruction. Wouldn't have been his decision. Yongge agreed to the £12 million of player sales. Which was unachievable from the outset. That's why Joao never left in the January transfer window. Better he stayed in the hope that he scored goals, that would outweigh the baked in 6 point deduction that was on the way.

Of course if Ince had gone in January then Reading would have probably been ok, still we'll never know.

538 posts