Potential New Owners

939 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Potential New Owners

by Stranded » 02 Oct 2023 11:27

Not sure what rumours you expect, unless you are wanting a new name?

People have made it clear who they know are interested and the only update now will either be they've walked away or we'll hear something official at some point.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2023 11:34

Stranded Not sure what rumours you expect, unless you are wanting a new name?

People have made it clear who they know are interested and the only update now will either be they've walked away or we'll hear something official at some point.

I guess we've heard several names bur no suggestion that a deal is close. Probably just looking for a bit more hope, as I know these things can move quite quickly when interest is genuine on both sides but I'm skeptical how genuine Dai's interest in selling is.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Oct 2023 13:04

WestYorksRoyal

I guess we've heard several names bur no suggestion that a deal is close. Probably just looking for a bit more hope, as I know these things can move quite quickly when interest is genuine on both sides but I'm skeptical how genuine Dai's interest in selling is.

Nature of the beast under the rules though. Once in talks, nothing is allowed to be said officially until it is done, and don't imagine any sources will leak anything until pens are hitting paper as a result.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Oct 2023 13:22

Stranded
WestYorksRoyal

Nature of the beast under the rules though. Once in talks, nothing is allowed to be said officially until it is done, and don't imagine any sources will leak anything until pens are hitting paper as a result.

Exactly. If due diligence is being performed (and it would seem that this is happening) all parties are likely to be under an NDA

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 02 Oct 2023 14:08

But are leaking rumours to Hobnob part of an NDA? Surely we're an exception? :D

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Oct 2023 14:41

Royalwaster But are leaking rumours to Hobnob part of an NDA? Surely we're an exception? :D

Then you want to go all in on Storey then :wink:

TBH Storey's public shenanigans gives me a level of comfort that he isn't a viable option.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 02 Oct 2023 15:01

Stranded
Royalwaster But are leaking rumours to Hobnob part of an NDA? Surely we're an exception? :D

TBH Storey's public shenanigans gives me a level of comfort that he isn't a viable option.

Do we actually know if RedBird had a genuine interest or was that purely speculation. Also, I have seen some mention of Howe putting together a consortium, but again it’s probably just nonsense.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 02 Oct 2023 17:12

blythspartan
Stranded

Do we actually know if RedBird had a genuine interest or was that purely speculation. Also, I have seen some mention of Howe putting together a consortium, but again it’s probably just nonsense.

I do wonder if a consortium would be a better idea. Then you wouldn't have the one ego in charge. Although, on reflection, having lots of ego's owning the club may be a bad idea too as they may never agree on anything. :x

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2023 17:19

MartinRdg
blythspartan
Stranded

I do wonder if a consortium would be a better idea. Then you wouldn't have the one ego in charge. Although, on reflection, having lots of ego's owning the club may be a bad idea too as they may never agree on anything. :x

Madejski>>>>>>>Thai Consortium>>>Zingarevich=Dai

So our 'best' post Madejski owner was a small consortium

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 Oct 2023 17:23

Snowflake Royal
MartinRdg
blythspartan

I'd be tempted to put Dai ahead of AZ just because we got top training facilities from Dai.

Man, the days of cutting our cloth each season with Madejski seem like the Holy Grail at this point.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Oct 2023 18:17

tidus_mi2
Snowflake Royal
MartinRdg

I'd be tempted to put Dai ahead of AZ just because we got top training facilities from Dai.

Man, the days of cutting our cloth each season with Madejski seem like the Holy Grail at this point.

SJM is skint now. We don't need a billionaire, but if we want a new owner to rebuild they will need some money. They will need to cover at least 6 months operating losses to avoid further points deductions. If they have any sense, they will also need to get our best youngsters on improved deals so we can get good transfer fees in the future. If they have to sell players in January just to keep going we'll be missing out on potential big time.

I'd say you need whatever you agree with Dai + £10m working capital. I don't think SJM is in the game, unless he's got some wealthy friends on board (possible with his connections I'm sure).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Oct 2023 19:06

No one is suggesting he buy the club back are they? Definitely too old and lacking money these days.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 02 Oct 2023 20:07

He was there Saturday, a friend had a picture taken with him, saw the protest up close and personal, it must hurt him watching what he built being dismantled brick by brick.
In his 80s now, obviously buying the club back isn`t an option but you would hope that he still has a voice of influence somewhere in the upper echelons at the club.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2023 08:01

Snowflake Royal
MartinRdg
blythspartan

So our least worst post Madejski owner was a small consortium

C4Y

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Oct 2023 08:43

Yeah no chance Madejski would buy the club back. Even if he wanted to, he doesn't have the finances for it and he was looking to sell the club over 15 years ago because he couldn't keep up with the finances needed for us according to himself.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 03 Oct 2023 10:47

What is irritating is that we are in a great location, have a great stadium and training facilities, and an Academy that is creating added value season by season; I would have thought that for an ambitious local Tech guru or group of wealthy local Tech owners in a consortium, Reading Football Club is a potential sleeping giant and for a relatively modest (for them) outlay, could be a great investment.

Esteban

by Esteban » 03 Oct 2023 11:19

blythspartan
Stranded

About 4-5 weeks ago, I took my son to the megastore and we saw Nigel Howe coming out of the stadium and it looked like he'd been there for a meeting. I didn't know anything about the consortium rumors at the time, so didn't think anything of it and there are probably a lot of reasons why he was at the stadium for a meeting. But who knows, maybe he was there to discuss the possibility of buying the club outright.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Oct 2023 11:25

Esteban
blythspartan
Stranded

About 4-5 weeks ago, I took my son to the megastore and we saw Nigel Howe coming out of the stadium and it looked like he'd been there for a meeting. I didn't know anything about the consortium rumors at the time, so didn't think anything of it and there are probably a lot of reasons why he was at the stadium for a meeting. But who knows, maybe he was there to discuss the possibility of buying the club outright.

Would be a great outcome. Experienced, knows how to succeed in the EFL and understands the club's values and culture. I'm not aware of any Reading FC fans or local businessmen on the rich list, but if you can find 4 or 5 moderately wealthy investors like the SCL guys perhaps you're in business.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 03 Oct 2023 11:29

I do believe the protesting has been well paced, suitable and effective. I also believe it has done enough to grab attention, wake up all parties who is either interested in buying this great club and forcing those (or Dai) to sell.

For the club the deadline for any firm announcement has to be Tuesday 24 October. They have time on their side. That is the next noteable home game, protests will be ramped up that week leading to the Portsmouth game. They have just shy of 3 weeks to get something sorted and positive communications out - we live in hope!

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 03 Oct 2023 11:56

paultheroyal I do believe the protesting has been well paced, suitable and effective. I also believe it has done enough to grab attention, wake up all parties who is either interested in buying this great club and forcing those (or Dai) to sell.

For the club the deadline for any firm announcement has to be Tuesday 24 October. They have time on their side. That is the next noteable home game, protests will be ramped up that week leading to the Portsmouth game. They have just shy of 3 weeks to get something sorted and positive communications out - we live in hope!

Why 24 October? Something to do with HRMC?

939 posts