Potential New Owners

939 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Potential New Owners

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Nov 2023 12:21

Sutekh So is the current expectation that Dai will reject all the offers on the table? Shame these things can't be evaluated and the decision made by an independent organisation.

No I'm not sure that's the expectation. My stance is I don't know what to expect in honesty.

Independent regulator would never happen for anything like this. It's currently just an owner potentially selling his club with bids coming in, it is completely down to himself whether he accepts or not, as it should be.
Last edited by YorkshireRoyal99 on 22 Nov 2023 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Nov 2023 12:21

Hendo
leon
Clyde1998 I think most of the complaints was regarding signings - not spending enough money. We've proven under Dai that spending money is pointless if you don't know how to identify a good player.

in the same week (day?) we sold Hughes to Norwich we signed Gunnarsson for 350K. That's all you really need to know,

Sold Hughes on 21st July 2005.
Signed Gunnarsson on 1st July 2005 (assume when the transfer window opened).

But yes a superb bit of business.

I distinctly remember being in Aldeburgh when both deals were announced. Bloody hell.

EDIT:

Ah ha!! (well at least I'm not going completely fcuking doolally)

From the Oracle itself:

Gunnarsson Deal Done
Added by HNA? on 22/07/05
As expected, Brynjar Gunnarsson has completed his transfer to Reading today. The midfielder signs on a two year contract from Watford for a currently undisclosed fee. Chris Makin is also hoping to complete his transfer over the coming days to officially become a Reading player, but has been unable to take his medical so far due to illness. Makin spent the summer with Stoke City after ending last season on loan to Derby County - but City decided not to sign the player. Thirty-two year old Makin will join Reading on a free transfer from Leicester City and is expected to accept a one year deal with the Royals. Makin has had a long and impressive career - Ipswich Town paid Sunderland �1.4M for his services in 2001 and he went on to make 78 league starts for the Suffolk club.
Rumour Rating: Definite

In your face Hendo!!! :lol:

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 22 Nov 2023 12:32

Remember the days of Icelandic Stokie?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2023 12:41

leon
Hendo
leon
in the same week (day?) we sold Hughes to Norwich we signed Gunnarsson for 350K. That's all you really need to know,

Sold Hughes on 21st July 2005.
Signed Gunnarsson on 1st July 2005 (assume when the transfer window opened).

But yes a superb bit of business.

I distinctly remember being in Aldeburgh when both deals were announced. Bloody hell.

EDIT:

Ah ha!! (well at least I'm not going completely fcuking doolally)

From the Oracle itself:

Gunnarsson Deal Done
Added by HNA? on 22/07/05
As expected, Brynjar Gunnarsson has completed his transfer to Reading today. The midfielder signs on a two year contract from Watford for a currently undisclosed fee. Chris Makin is also hoping to complete his transfer over the coming days to officially become a Reading player, but has been unable to take his medical so far due to illness. Makin spent the summer with Stoke City after ending last season on loan to Derby County - but City decided not to sign the player. Thirty-two year old Makin will join Reading on a free transfer from Leicester City and is expected to accept a one year deal with the Royals. Makin has had a long and impressive career - Ipswich Town paid Sunderland �1.4M for his services in 2001 and he went on to make 78 league starts for the Suffolk club.
Rumour Rating: Definite

In your face Hendo!!! :lol:

Fair, fair :lol:

Guess the 1st July date must've just been when he left Watford.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 22 Nov 2023 12:44

Sutekh So is the current expectation that Dai will reject all the offers on the table? Shame these things can't be evaluated and the decision made by an independent organisation.

I don’t have an expectation.

I believe Dai is serious about selling the club and that must appeal to him more than putting it into administration.

Just maybe, there will be a positive announcement very soon.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Nov 2023 13:16

John Percy in the Telephone, who fell hook, line and sinker for Storey's bullshit, has written an article on our demise. In it, he says one bidding consortium has the involvement of Ken Anderson, who nearly ruined Bolton. He can be added to Genevra's involvement with the guy who screwed Wigan.

Holding out for Ashley really. Howe's involvement also makes me feel better as we know he really cares, but given how desperate the situation is he may have concluded questionable parties can't be worse than Dai.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Nov 2023 13:38

WestYorksRoyal John Percy in the Telephone, who fell hook, line and sinker for Storey's bullshit, has written an article on our demise. In it, he says one bidding consortium has the involvement of Ken Anderson, who nearly ruined Bolton. He can be added to Genevra's involvement with the guy who screwed Wigan.

Holding out for Ashley really. Howe's involvement also makes me feel better as we know he really cares, but given how desperate the situation is he may have concluded questionable parties can't be worse than Dai.

The is little doubt that Dai will end his tenure completely screwing over the club by choosing the worst possible new owners.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Nov 2023 13:42

Surely the EFL would never approve him? We're talking about a former owner with all the bad owner greatest hits. Failure to pay players, HMRC non payment, administration. He refused to pay Forest Green a transfer fee and said it didn't matter if they sued him as the club was broke and they'd only get 10p to the £.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Nov 2023 14:49

WestYorksRoyal Surely the EFL would never approve him? We're talking about a former owner with all the bad owner greatest hits. Failure to pay players, HMRC non payment, administration. He refused to pay Forest Green a transfer fee and said it didn't matter if they sued him as the club was broke and they'd only get 10p to the £.

Depends on his role with whomever is apparently bidding and if he will hold any official role at the club or sway over direction. If the answer is he has no position of power, in terms of what the EFL consider that to be, then he will not have to pass any tests.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 22 Nov 2023 17:56

andrew1957
WestYorksRoyal John Percy in the Telephone, who fell hook, line and sinker for Storey's bullshit, has written an article on our demise. In it, he says one bidding consortium has the involvement of Ken Anderson, who nearly ruined Bolton. He can be added to Genevra's involvement with the guy who screwed Wigan.

There is little doubt that Dai will end his tenure completely screwing over the club by choosing the worst possible new owners.

I agree

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Nov 2023 20:49

Hiram K Hackenbacker
andrew1957

There is little doubt that Dai will end his tenure completely screwing over the club by choosing the worst possible new owners.

I agree

So, a bit like SJM then :wink:

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 23 Nov 2023 17:33

Sutekh
Hiram K Hackenbacker
andrew1957

I agree

As it turned out yes - but I honestly think SJM thought he had found a real billionaire rather than the wide boy son of a billionaire. Its certainly been all down hill from there and I really hope the Ashley rumours are true. Maybe Ashley wants to be loved after all the hate at Newcastle. I would just hope he buys the club, pays the bills and rebuilds the team/infrastructure. I honestly don't think it will cost a lot to get us back to at least the Championship within 2-3 seasons. And then Ashley will be the man who saved the club!

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Nov 2023 23:26

andrew1957

The is little doubt that Dai will end his tenure completely screwing over the club by choosing the worst possible new owners.

I suspect all he'll care about is who gives him the most money.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 24 Nov 2023 06:48

andrew1957
Sutekh
Hiram K Hackenbacker I agree

As it turned out yes - but I honestly think SJM thought he had found a real billionaire rather than the wide boy son of a billionaire. Its certainly been all down hill from there and I really hope the Ashley rumours are true. Maybe Ashley wants to be loved after all the hate at Newcastle. I would just hope he buys the club, pays the bills and rebuilds the team/infrastructure. I honestly don't think it will cost a lot to get us back to at least the Championship within 2-3 seasons. And then Ashley will be the man who saved the club!

There's a saying ' "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

From his actions up to now, what makes people think Ashley is in this for anything other than to make as much money as possible for as little outlay as possible...

He's not a sugar daddy...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Nov 2023 07:21

We don't need a sugar daddy, we need someone who will run us sensibly and that is how he will make money on us. We've tried sugar daddies and it's near destroyed the club. Twice.

When you peel away the Billy Big Bollox bullshit, that is the only complaint that Newcastle fans ever had about him, that he ran them sensibly and didn't piss money up a wall.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 24 Nov 2023 07:53

How do you make money in our situation, destined for L2? There's 2 ways.

1) Brutally scale back our facilities and operations to bring us in line with L1/L2 for a miserly annual profit.

2) Invest in the short term for 3 - 4 years to get us into the Championship, where your academy generates more value. Become a selling club who can make a profit that way, plus the club is worth double what you paid for.

There is only one obvious answer. A selfish, greedy businessman is good for us so long as they are competent enough to deliver.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Nov 2023 07:58

Linden Jones' Tash
andrew1957
Sutekh

There's a saying ' "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time."

From his actions up to now, what makes people think Ashley is in this for anything other than to make as much money as possible for as little outlay as possible...

He's not a sugar daddy...

Err, isn't this exactly what we want/need.

An owner who will build the club back up the leagues, whilst looking to make us as independant from owner wealth as we possibly can be. The only way he makes money out of us, is by keeping us as debt free as possible, have the club own the stadium (or possibly he owns that separately) and gets us solidly back in the Championship, at the very least.

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 24 Nov 2023 08:35

YorkshireRoyal99

No I'm not sure that's the expectation. My stance is I don't know what to expect in honesty.

Independent regulator would never happen for anything like this. It's currently just an owner potentially selling his club with bids coming in, it is completely down to himself whether he accepts or not, as it should be.

An independent regulator??

Independent of whom?
Another quango of suits - milking business on the basis (whose basis?) that they know best… as if.

Vested interests …. Bending rules when it fits ….

A business is worth what it is worth - and that is defined by what a buyer is prepared to pay for it.

It’s like a poker hand right now….

As a buyer…

Do we buy now to beat other bidders… or fold if the price isn’t low enough? Or hold on to see if other bidders fold?

Are there other Clubs to invest in where the ratios are better?

Or, do we wait and buy the club after it’s been put into administration?

Doing the latter would mean acquiring the Club for a much lower price; and only buying the parts we want to buy and possibly (with all RFC’s potential) maximising our return/profit in future?

If a regulator determines the price - and it’s not the right price (doesn’t reflect its true value) - it won’t be purchased - except by fools.

There are no guarantees in life - except death and taxes and there is no such thing as perfect decisions (except in hindsight) there are only trade offs.

If this basic fact was considered at all times, so much money and time would be saved.

Those who call for regulation are generally just trying to avoid the risk of making a poor decision and avoid the responsibility for decisions once made.

As if there is some body of experts (god save us from any more self interested parties who tell a good story, are usually wrong but are never held accountable for it) who have the perfect answers.

It’s as if there is such a thing as ‘perfect answer school’ - that ‘regulators’ go to…

It’s just ridiculous

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 24 Nov 2023 08:40

YorkshireRoyal99

Independent of whom?
Another quango of suits - milking business on the basis (whose basis?) that they know best… as if.

A business is worth what it is worth - and that is defined by what a buyer is prepared to pay for it.

As a buyer…

Do we buy now to beat other bidders… or fold if the price isn’t low enough? Or hold on to see if other bidders fold?

Doing the latter would mean acquiring the Club for a much lower price; and only buying the parts we want to buy and possibly (with all RFC’s potential) maximising our return/profit in future?

If a regulator determines the price - and it’s not the right price (doesn’t reflect its true value) - it won’t be purchased - except by fools.

There are no guarantees in life - except death and taxes and there is no such thing as perfect decisions (except in hindsight) there are only trade offs.

If this basic fact was considered at all times, so much money and time would be saved.

Those who call for regulation are generally just trying to avoid the risk of making a poor decision and avoid the responsibility for decisions once made.

As if there is some body of experts (god save us from any more self interested parties who tell a good story, are usually wrong but are never held accountable for it) who have the perfect answers.

It’s as if there is such a thing as ‘perfect answer school’ - that ‘regulators’ go to…

It’s just ridiculous

The Green Programme

by The Green Programme » 24 Nov 2023 08:41

The Green Programme
YorkshireRoyal99

Independent of whom?

As a buyer…

It’s just ridiculous

939 posts