Potential New Owners

939 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Potential New Owners

by Wycombe Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:03

Sutekh
morganb So, let's say that yesterday's protest has convinced Dai to sell, the next step is to find/convince someone to buy us.

Is there anything we fans can do to help find a buyer?

Postings on Ebay? Etsy? Gumtree?

I'd go for Not On The High Street personally...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:12

From Despair To Where? This great British team that had 2 Americans, 2 Irish, 1 Icelandic and one Senegalese player in it's starting 11.

Plus an Irishman, an Icelander and a Congolese refugee on the bench.

Karbota thinks the Irish are British, because Ireland is one of the British Isles. :lol:

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 10:13

There are plenty of buyers, we had 5 offers on the table. Dai is the problem. I don't see much hope, I suspect we'd need someone with an emotional attachment to knowingly pay £10m - £20m more than we're worth. Not sure who is out there.

And even if I had the money as a fan, I'd also be put off by the idea of doing a deal that benefits Dai. Even if such a fan exists, would they be willing to deal with that sewer rat?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:14

Stranded
morganb So, let's say that yesterday's protest has convinced Dai to sell, the next step is to find/convince someone to buy us.

I believe the SBWD group have had multiple informal conversations with potential buyers for the club, not sure what else could be done to unearth someone crazy enough to want to deal with Dai.

There are already multiple interested parties. The buyer isn't the issue.

It's the seller. Its all about Dai. It's always, all about Dai. He is the only one who can sell us snd solve our problems.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:16

WestYorksRoyal There are plenty of buyers, we had 5 offers on the table. Dai is the problem. I don't see much hope, I suspect we'd need someone with an emotional attachment to knowingly pay £10m - £20m more than we're worth. Not sure who is out there.

And even if I had the money as a fan, I'd also be put off by the idea of doing a deal that benefits Dai. Even if such a fan exists, would they be willing to deal with that sewer rat?

It may be that our only real option was to be very nice to him and raise a few million to give him to incentivise him to sell. Never going to happen. Rightfully.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jan 2024 10:54

Snowflake Royal
From Despair To Where? This great British team that had 2 Americans, 2 Irish, 1 Icelandic and one Senegalese player in it's starting 11.

Karbota thinks the white players are British, because he's a racist twunt

C4y

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 10:58

From Despair To Where?
Snowflake Royal

Karbota thinks the white players are British, because he's a racist twunt

C4y

Correction accepted

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 15 Jan 2024 13:02

It all seems to have gone off piste on this thread, but that's not unusual. I'm afraid there's a strong whiff of folk with hands over their eyes (or ears, or both) firing off in all daft directions. Nowt unusual in that either.
Its all a bit of a mess for sure but if you wanted somebody to clear up the mess you would DEFINITELY NOT be looking in the direction of anyone like CLUELESS Kieran (Maguire).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Jan 2024 13:07

Google “billionaires”.

Go down the list, and get contact details for each one.

Call them up and ask them if they’d like to waste a load of money on a football club.

Statistically at some point one of them will say yes.

Maybe we can convince Elon Musk to rename us “XFC” and help get advertisers back on his website.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 15 Jan 2024 13:25

SCIAG

Google “billionaires”.

Call them up and ask them if they’d like to waste a load of money on a football club.

Maybe we can convince Elon Musk to rename us “XFC” and help get advertisers back on his website.

say this happens, isn't it just a sticking plaster and we'll end up in the same boat when they get bored and the fans get on their backs

English football is broken and until that is addressed, nothing will really change

But I understood the aim was to ditch the sugar daddy model and get an owner who will follow a 'sustainable' path for the club - whatever that means...

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Jan 2024 14:04

Linden Jones' Tash
SCIAG

Google “billionaires”.

say this happens, isn't it just a sticking plaster and we'll end up in the same boat when they get bored and the fans get on their backs

English football is broken and until that is addressed, nothing will really change

But I understood the aim was to ditch the sugar daddy model and get an owner who will follow a 'sustainable' path for the club - whatever that means...

Not if they manage us in a vaguely competent and sustainable fashion.

We are where we are because Dai didn't.

Increase our wage bill from ~£25m to ~£44m in the Championship with no parachute payments
Refuse to sell Moore for ~£8m
Give Moore a ~£30k a week wage for 4/5 years.
Signing of Ejaria for ~£3m
Signing of Joao for ~£3m immediately after a soft transfer embargo ended
Signing of Puscas for ~£7m immediately after a soft transfer embargo ended, when we didn't need both
Signing of Aluko for ~£7m when we didn't need him
Refuse to sell Loader for ~£2m
Refuse to sell Swift for ~£5m

There's 10s of millions there that didn't need spending or could have been received to fund the club in a sustainable manner with decent affordable players.

But yes, football ownership is an absolute disgrace.
It's almost harder to run us this badly.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jan 2024 14:33

The end of SJM's era is how things should look after an owner loses their ability to bankroll. He lost a lot in the financial crash, and we had to sell players to be sustainable. Losing players like Sigurdsson, Long and Mills was necessary, and still left money in the bank for good Championship wages for the likes of Leigertwood, McAnuff and Gorkss. The team promoted in 2012 had sold all their genuine PL talent over the years and was not on the same level as the 2006 team, but we were sustainable.

Whereas there was never a route to sustainable under Dai - we were too far gone.

But agree the industry is broken. But we say this about another club every year. How often will we keep saying it?

Our unique problem is our owner won't sell. We'd be another Derby if he did; unpleasant but not a disaster. I'd probably say what happened to the likes of Derby and Wigan is a natural correction of spending and survivable for affected clubs. But what do you do if an owner stops supporting a club while also denying others the chance to rescue them?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Jan 2024 14:37

Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash
SCIAG Google “billionaires”.

Increase our wage bill from ~£25m to ~£44m in the Championship with no parachute payments
Signing of Puscas for ~£7m immediately after a soft transfer embargo ended, when we didn't need both

There's 10s of millions there that didn't need spending or could have been received to fund the club in a sustainable manner with decent affordable players.

How much of it is down to a) working out a way for TV money to be fairly allocated so you don't get the ridiculous gaps between clubs in the same divisions and b) changing the mindset of idiot supporters who think it's the end of the world if their club isn't spending shedloads on new players every window.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 15 Jan 2024 16:29

Sutekh
Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash

How much of it is down to a) working out a way for TV money to be fairly allocated so you don't get the ridiculous gaps between clubs in the same divisions and b) changing the mindset of idiot supporters who think it's the end of the world if their club isn't spending shedloads on new players every window.

I'd agree that it is both

Ultimately the FA Premier League created the gulf that makes it an unsustainable arms race in terms of transfer fees and, more importantly, player wages.

I'm not against people getting paid as much as they can get - but when ordinary championship players are on £1.5M a year to play in front of £15k crowds, nothing makes sense anymore.

I'm old enough to remember when selling players as part of the Reading Way, was moaned about on here - there is no simple solution

Ten Bobsworth

by Ten Bobsworth » 16 Jan 2024 08:05

Linden Jones' Tash
Sutekh
Snowflake Royal Not if they manage us in a vaguely competent and sustainable fashion.

I'd agree that it is both

Ultimately the FA Premier League created the gulf that makes it an unsustainable arms race in terms of transfer fees and, more importantly, player wages.

I'm not against people getting paid as much as they can get - but when ordinary championship players are on £1.5M a year to play in front of £15k crowds, nothing makes sense anymore.

I'm old enough to remember when selling players as part of the Reading Way, was moaned about on here - there is no simple solution

LJT sounds too sensible to me. You can't have folk coming on here being sensible.
BAN HIM. :idea: :idea: :idea:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Jan 2024 12:22

Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash

Yeah was Olisegate under Dai too?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2024 12:31

Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash

With you on this one Ian as well. Whilst it is being said that it's hard to sustain success by selling your best players all the time, I'd rather we did that and still have a club than throw all that money up the wall and put the future of the club in jeopardy. At the end of the day, you need to cut your cloth accordingly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Jan 2024 13:20

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
Linden Jones' Tash

With you on this one Ian as well. Whilst it is being said that it's hard to sustain success by selling your best players all the time, I'd rather we did that and still have a club than throw all that money up the wall and put the future of the club in jeopardy. At the end of the day, you need to cut your cloth accordingly.

And we made it work under Madjeski.

Kitson, Doyle, Siggy, Long....

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Jan 2024 14:01

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Not if they manage us in a vaguely competent and sustainable fashion.

Yeah I think the only problem is timeframes, when people say "sustainable", how long do they expect that to last? That's the only thing I'd say.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jan 2024 18:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah I think the only problem is timeframes, when people say "sustainable", how long do they expect that to last? That's the only thing I'd say.

How much money has the Brentford owner put in? In their build up to promotion, it felt like they brought in big transfer fees to finance the squad every season.

939 posts