Potential New Owners

939 posts
YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Potential New Owners

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2024 15:08

From Despair To Where? Going back a few years, I remember someone at Bradford saying they got a call from Aston Villa offering £100,000 for Ian Ormondroyd. Although he wasn't a 1st team regular, they weren't particularly looking to sell him so as a joke, they replied if you come back with a £500,000 bid, we'll think about it, knowing no-one in their right mind would buy Ormondroyd for £500k.

20 minutes later they get a call back from Villa offering £500,000 for Ian Ormondroyd.

This is what I thought when Neymar moved to PSG originally. Barca having a £200m release clause on him thinking that nobody would pay that sort of fee for any player, but it turns out PSG did.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:31

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Yeah I do think it's a bit of a shame that they couldn't sustain the club in the long-term, although that's probably only because of what Dai has done to the club since he came in. I'd have hoped the Thai's weren't asset stripping and taking money out of the club and running us at a bare minimum.

Well we did basically get to a PO Final and FA Cup Semi under them ... and it seems like letting McDermott go was more personal circumstances they couldn't talk about, which was my only real bone of contention with them.

Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear there - I meant as if they'd have stayed on instead of selling to Dai. All immaterial as it happened and they didn't have the finances to keep up with us unfortunately.

Still had some strange moments under them with the season where we made several loan signings and we all know about "that" song...

I liked it.

Football songs have always been tripe. It was fun and poppy.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2024 15:32

I read somewhere that in Spain and Portugal it's obligatory to have a minimum fee clause in the contract. Most clubs set it ridiculously high just as a formality. When Alfa Semedo moved from Benfica to Vitoria Guimaraes, he had a €30m release clause.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:34

YorkshireRoyal99 Barrow is one player that I genuinely missed out of all the one's we let go. Not sure what he was earning (or what fee we actually received for him) but he had plenty of pace which seemed to have caused teams all sorts of problems and had an eye for goal.

Assuming the Thai's were still in charge, I could have easily seen a front 3 of Barrow, a CF and Meite being a threat, especially with players like Swift and someone like Olise coming through in behind as well there. Admittedly, that's quite an attacking line up.

My favourite memory of Barrow is of him being so unbelievably clueless positionally, that Moore had to run from CB and physically and bodily move him into the right spot to be from an opposition GK, because just shouting instructions didn't work.

Was hilarious.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:35

From Despair To Where? Going back a few years, I remember someone at Bradford saying they got a call from Aston Villa offering £100,000 for Ian Ormondroyd. Although he wasn't a 1st team regular, they weren't particularly looking to sell him so as a joke, they replied if you come back with a £500,000 bid, we'll think about it, knowing no-one in their right mind would buy Ormondroyd for £500k.

20 minutes later they get a call back from Villa offering £500,000 for Ian Ormondroyd.

Isn't that what happened to Leeds for whathisface the striker who moved sideways for an unbelievable £11m?

Was it Fulham again?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2024 15:37

Ross McCormack?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:38

From Despair To Where? Ross McCormack?

That's the fella I think. Was thinking Mc something.

Flopped iirc.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2024 15:40

Wasn't that his move from Fulham to Villa where he proceeded to fall out with Steve Bruce for repeatedly missing training for halfwit reasons?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Jan 2024 15:41

From Despair To Where? Wasn't that his move from Fulham to Villa where he proceeded to fall out with Steve Bruce for being a lazy bastard?

Leeds to Fulham was £11m

Fulham to Villa was £12m - signed by Roberto di Matteo

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 22 Jan 2024 15:42

From Despair To Where? I read somewhere that in Spain and Portugal it's obligatory to have a minimum fee clause in the contract. Most clubs set it ridiculously high just as a formality. When Alfa Semedo moved from Benfica to Vitoria Guimaraes, he had a €30m release clause.

Good thing we were under EFL restrictions by then otherwise Dai would probably have triggered it.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2024 15:43

Hendo
From Despair To Where? Wasn't that his move from Fulham to Villa where he proceeded to fall out with Steve Bruce for being a lazy bastard?

Leeds to Fulham was £11m

Sign by di Matteo who promptly got sacked 3 months later and replaced by Bruce.

His record at Fulham was ok. He scored 3 in 20 games at Villa over 3 seasons.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 22 Jan 2024 15:45, edited 1 time in total.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:44

Hendo

Leeds to Fulham was £11m

Ahhh, I got the move the wrong way round. Whoops.

You just assume Leeds are the shit ones, don't you...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Jan 2024 15:45

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Well we did basically get to a PO Final and FA Cup Semi under them ... and it seems like letting McDermott go was more personal circumstances they couldn't talk about, which was my only real bone of contention with them.

Yeah sorry I wasn't very clear there - I meant as if they'd have stayed on instead of selling to Dai. All immaterial as it happened and they didn't have the finances to keep up with us unfortunately.

Still had some strange moments under them with the season where we made several loan signings and we all know about "that" song...

I liked it.

I kept my head down out of embarrassment when people used to talk to me about it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 15:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

I liked it.

I kept my head down out of embarrassment when people used to talk to me about it.

I don't think I could function if I was that sensitive to embarrassment. :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Jan 2024 15:51

From Despair To Where? Wasn't that his move from Fulham to Villa where he proceeded to fall out with Steve Bruce for repeatedly missing training for halfwit reasons?

Couldn't leave his house because his electric gate was broken.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 22 Jan 2024 16:21

YorkshireRoyal99

This is what I thought when Neymar moved to PSG originally. Barca having a £200m release clause on him thinking that nobody would pay that sort of fee for any player, but it turns out PSG did.

Also how Barca lost Figo to Real. Figo didn't think Perez would win the Presidential election so he agreed that if Real met the release clause he would join. Perez won and made sure to include a clause that if Figo backed out he would have to pay a huge amount of money to Perez.

royalstevep68

by royalstevep68 » 22 Jan 2024 17:00

What’s all this got to do with new owners. Still to the thread theme people it’s not hard.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 22 Jan 2024 17:05

royalstevep68 What’s all this got to do with new owners. Still to the thread theme people it’s not hard.

Nothing. Because there's a whole lot of nothing happening.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 22 Jan 2024 17:21

Pepe the Horseman
From Despair To Where? Wasn't that his move from Fulham to Villa where he proceeded to fall out with Steve Bruce for repeatedly missing training for halfwit reasons?

Couldn't leave his house because his electric gate was broken.

:lol:

Up there with Villa's Alan Wright having to have a knee operation, caused by the heavy clutch in his new Ferrari.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Jan 2024 17:27

To be fair to Alan Wright, he probably couldn't reach the pedals.

939 posts