Rumour - Tom McIntyre

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Rumour - Tom McIntyre

by Snowflake Royal » 26 Jun 2023 17:52

Pretty good defender prevented from being recognised as a great one by:
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace
3) being adaptable enough to keep getting played out of position at LB or DM.

I think McIntyre has the attributes to be great if given a partner with complementary skills and kept injury free.

But his injury record means its hard to see him as a huge loss, because you never know how many games he'll play.

Definitely wouldn't want to lose him and Holmes, probably prefer to keep Holmes for fitness reliability, I do think McIntyre is a smarter defender though.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2023 19:49

NathStPaul
windermereROYAL
NathStPaul Can't see us not selling and too be honest he is better than League 1 so wouldn't begrudge him a move away.

No he isn`t, he was a part of a defence that shipped 155 goals in 2 seasons.

I am sure that was all his fault.

Well no it wasn't, obviously, but the entire defence is absolute garbage and used to losing almost every game so if Reading can get shot of any of them for a fee then they should do so as quickly as possible. Individually I don't think any of them are particularly stand out but for the sake of their careers they need to get somewhere that isn't so toxic and has a management team that people respect.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 26 Jun 2023 22:00

RG30
South Coast Royal I did mention a few weeks ago that I heard of Millwall being interested.

A bit slow for what is needed of a modern defender and not spatially aware enough IMHO for a midfield role but he seems like a good team man who gives his best every week so I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Would make sense. Millwall like to target players from clubs who have been relegated.

Not surprised they've not been promoted with that transfer policy

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 27 Jun 2023 08:11

I don't think McIntyre is desperate to leave given our current plight and the fact he loves the club but then again it's a short career and we're a shambles. Any player we have deserves better than what's going on.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 27 Jun 2023 10:41

Snowflake Royal Pretty good defender prevented from being recognised as a great one by:
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

I think McIntyre has the attributes to be great if given a partner with complementary skills and kept injury free.

But his injury record means its hard to see him as a huge loss, because you never know how many games he'll play.

Definitely wouldn't want to lose him and Holmes, probably prefer to keep Holmes for fitness reliability, I do think McIntyre is a smarter defender though.

On the contrary, I’ve always thought McIntyre would make a better midfielder than a CB. Too slow. Not a crime in itself but doesn’t adapt well enough to it, too often caught out over the top. Likewise isn’t enough of a physical presence. Doesn’t defend crosses well and is too often outfought by opposition strikers. The two aforementioned factors means he struggles against most quick/taller strikers

Think he could play the holding midfielder role well - but needs the right platform alongside him. Someone with more energy and someone with more creativity to complement each others skillsets. 5 at the back with a midfield duo of McIntyre and Hendrick certainly wasn’t it!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jun 2023 12:05

URZZZZ
Snowflake Royal Pretty good defender prevented from being recognised as a great one by:
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

On the contrary, I’ve always thought McIntyre would make a better midfielder than a CB. Too slow. Not a crime in itself but doesn’t adapt well enough to it, too often caught out over the top. Likewise isn’t enough of a physical presence. Doesn’t defend crosses well and is too often outfought by opposition strikers. The two aforementioned factors means he struggles against most quick/taller strikers

Think he could play the holding midfielder role well - but needs the right platform alongside him. Someone with more energy and someone with more creativity to complement each others skillsets. 5 at the back with a midfield duo of McIntyre and Hendrick certainly wasn’t it!

Can't agree at all. I think he's always looked like a CB playing midfield

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 27 Jun 2023 12:40

URZZZZ
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

Agree entirely. He has been excellent as a DMF and that to me is where he should be. Has stood out when we have been involved in scraps. Sadly useless managers have rarely utilised him properly. I'm gutted if he leaves. I guarantee if he goes to Millwall we will regret selling him, like Jake Cooper.

On Strings

by On Strings » 27 Jun 2023 12:49

Assuming we have a say. Might be another relegation release clause.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 27 Jun 2023 18:35

1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

Well at least one person in this thread is speaking sense.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 27 Jun 2023 19:41

SCIAG
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

Well, at least one person in this thread is speaking sense.

There's a lot right there. Personally, I think he'd be more likely to improve on his attributes and fulfil some of that early potential by working with managers like Rowett than he is with Selles, or any of the useless chancers we've had as manager in recent years for that matter.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 08:56

URZZZZ
1) constant injuries
2) lack of pace

I agree. Think he's got a good range of passing for his position and is a disciplined player. Quite like the idea of having someone who can drop into CB positions to cover if needs be and think his skillset can mean he can either be a really good defender or midfielder, we just need to work out which one it's going to be and accommodate around him. Would be a good shield to the defence, which we've lacked for a couple of seasons now.