Fin Stevens

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fin Stevens

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2023 09:30

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Yeah just seen that after posting this. Just speculating as to whether it means he might be one to move on, he obviously signed a contract last season as well which might include some sort of relegation clause that we've seen with both Sarr and Ince. Or it could just be cover for a long-term injury. Either would be believable with us.

As we run out of centrebacks Yiadom and having some pace (which we desperately need there) may end up there instead of RB. But I could just be trawling for positives.

Not so sure I'd be keen on him at CB as a 2, assuming we end up playing that way.

Also, not saying pace isn't a nice attribute to have, but I don't think it's a necessity. Plenty of strong defences have got by previously without having much pace. I'd be more inclined to want my CB's to be able to read the game correctly and have better positioning, rather than pace. If you've got that ability, then you'll be fine in most circumstances.

Pace at CB has been an absolute achillies heel for us.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 09:43

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal As we run out of centrebacks Yiadom and having some pace (which we desperately need there) may end up there instead of RB. But I could just be trawling for positives.

Not so sure I'd be keen on him at CB as a 2, assuming we end up playing that way.

Also, not saying pace isn't a nice attribute to have, but I don't think it's a necessity. Plenty of strong defences have got by previously without having much pace. I'd be more inclined to want my CB's to be able to read the game correctly and have better positioning, rather than pace. If you've got that ability, then you'll be fine in most circumstances.

But I think that's down to Holmes, McIntyre and others previous not being very good at reading the game, and/or that their positioning has been poor. Yes, having pace helps with that issue, so Mbengue can be good for that.

But I'd much rather have CB's that can read the game and position themselves correctly rather than defenders with pace.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2023 10:13

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

But I think that's down to Holmes, McIntyre and others previous not being very good at reading the game, and/or that their positioning has been poor. Yes, having pace helps with that issue, so Mbengue can be good for that.

But I'd much rather have CB's that can read the game and position themselves correctly rather than defenders with pace.

I think they both can read the game.

The lack of pace means they either get caught out or have to play slightly out of ideal position to try to cover. Pretty much every time McIntyre struggled it was at fullback, or because he constantly had to chase into the empty fullback channel and couldn’t get there.

They get beaten in behind if they step up, but if they stay low we get penned in and can't get out because midfield is crap.

The lack of pace means they also struggle with breaks where they get no protection from midfield.

Both aren’t just not quick, they're slow. T

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 10:26

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Pace at CB has been an absolute achillies heel for us.

The lack of pace means they either get caught out or have to play slightly out of ideal position to try to cover. Pretty much every time McIntyre struggled it was at fullback, or because he constantly had to chase into the empty fullback channel and couldn’t get there.

They get beaten in behind if they step up, but if they stay low we get penned in and can't get out because midfield is crap.

The lack of pace means they also struggle with breaks where they get no protection from midfield.

So playing slightly out of position is a lack of positional awareness then?

McIntyre isn't a full back. Has traits to play there, but can't do it. I think most CB's would struggle in a full back position, it's a cliché amongst them.

We don't have to be high nor low, mid-block is a term these days. Even if we are high, it doesn't mean you will automatically get done over the top just because you're slow. If they read the game properly, have the correct body shape and are positioned correctly then pace becomes far less of an issue. If you're (likely being told/coached by the manager/coaches) standing like a statue square on and stood right on the halfway line, you can be as quick as you want, you will get caught out. Any defence needs some sort of midfield protection, fast or slow. You play to your strengths of the personnel, something we've lacked for ages due to poor managers and coaches.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2023 11:47

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

No. It's positional awareness. Because you know you need to compromise based on a lack of pace.

You can stay in perfect position with your partner and have no hope of covering in behind the full back because you don't have pace.

Or you can shift to adapt your position so you can cover, but it leaves more vulnerability in the middle, because your partner is also so slow and needs to do the same on their side.

If the pair aren't fast enough, they can’t be in any position where there isn't a vulnerability

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Jun 2023 11:59

Reckon this would just be jumping the shark...

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 12:13

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal I think they both can read the game.

No. It's positional awareness. Because you know you need to compromise based on a lack of pace.

You can stay in perfect position with your partner and have no hope of covering in behind the full back because you don't have pace.

Or you can shift to adapt your position so you can cover, but it leaves more vulnerability in the middle, because your partner is also so slow and needs to do the same on their side.

If the pair aren't fast enough, they can’t be in any position where there isn't a vulnerability

Then you've got one of two issues. 1) Your full back is out of position or 2) you don't have a midfield that can cover you if you need to be a few yards wider if the full backs have pushed on. Either way, positioning becomes the issue, either directly or indirectly.

I disagree, if you're positioned correctly, can read the game and your body shape is correct, alongside protection in front of you, in transition phases or out of position, you aren't getting caught out by pace.

The last bit isn't really relevant because there will always be a weakness in any defence. Pace will always be a weakness, but good positioning, good ability to read the game and good body shape will support this. Holmes doesn't always read the game well, for example. Strong defensively when it comes to it, but has been rash before with his tackling, stepping into situations where the ball was never winnable and leaves himself out of the game and the defence (even more) vulnerable. Having said that, more experience will play a part to do this as well.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 29 Jun 2023 09:06

The one that got away?

We understand Oxford United are leading Reading, Coventry and Cheltenham in the race to sign Brentford's Fin Stevens on loan.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... yer-chase/

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Jun 2023 17:29

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 29 Jun 2023 20:46

YorkshireRoyal99 McIntyre isn't a full back. Has traits to play there, but can't do it.

He's had some really good games at left back to be fair.

Against Swansea at home he had a really good game playing left wing back - up there with NGW's best games for us. I almost couldn't believe it was him because it went against all my preconceptions of him.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 29 Jun 2023 23:33

Clyde1998 Signed on loan for Oxford: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66059152

For Cods Sake.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Jun 2023 06:57

CountryRoyal
Clyde1998 Signed on loan for Oxford: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66059152

For Cods Sake.

Hope he has a whale of a time there.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 30 Jun 2023 08:35

SCIAG
YorkshireRoyal99 McIntyre isn't a full back. Has traits to play there, but can't do it.

He's had some really good games at left back to be fair.

Against Swansea at home he had a really good game playing left wing back - up there with NGW's best games for us. I almost couldn't believe it was him because it went against all my preconceptions of him.

But also some howlers as well. I can count more times where he looks uncomfortable or just simply poor in that position than where he was good.

I think that's why he's not a LB though in all honesty. Has some qualities for that role, but the things he struggles with are noticeable. Maybe not always game-by-game, but over a consistent period of games, he'd struggle.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 30 Jun 2023 09:00

morganb The one that got away?

We understand Oxford United are leading Reading, Coventry and Cheltenham in the race to sign Brentford's Fin Stevens on loan.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclu ... yer-chase/

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 30 Jun 2023 09:27

I've really haddock enough of missing out

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jun 2023 10:13

Can we be sure we even cast our line out for this one?

Blue Label

by Blue Label » 30 Jun 2023 12:24

Another one, slipped through the net.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 30 Jun 2023 13:26

Blue Label Another one, slipped through the net.

Perhaps he was only small fry

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 30 Jun 2023 19:38

Just let him roe

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Jun 2023 19:52

SouthDownsRoyal Was going to make a fish joke but didn’t want to look like a pollock

You wouldn’t need the fish joke, etc., etc. …