Rumour - Theo Walcott

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Rumour - Theo Walcott

by blythspartan » 28 Jun 2023 14:57

CountryRoyal 100% not the type of signing we should be making.

Right now I’d be happy if we signed you as a CM and offered to pay you £4k a week. It might mean that the issues with the EFL and HMRC have been resolved.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2023 15:00

If signed as part of a wider squad overhaul, involving younger players with potential sell on value, it is. We simply don't know what kind of recruitment we can muster, so a player who started 12 of the last 16 PL games in 22/23, playing 25 mins plus as sub in the other 4 under the guy who we are appointing, has the potential to be a pretty decent piece of business.

As long as we don't give him a 3 year deal.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2023 15:08

Stranded

If signed as part of a wider squad overhaul, involving younger players with potential sell on value, it is. We simply don't know what kind of recruitment we can muster, so a player who started 12 of the last 16 PL games in 22/23, playing 25 mins plus as sub in the other 4 under the guy who we are appointing, has the potential to be a pretty decent piece of business.

Yeah that really. Don’t mind 1 or 2 of this nature. He’s still very quick and him and Carroll could be well above that level. Relatively low risk and both excellent professionals who will help the likes of Camara and Ehib along

I’d be delighted if he joined. And even more so if we then picked up some good strong L1 young players with experience of that level to go with it

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jun 2023 15:22

Hound
Stranded

Yeah that really. Don’t mind 1 or 2 of this nature. He’s still very quick and him and Carroll could be well above that level. Relatively low risk and both excellent professionals who will help the likes of Camara and Ehib along

I’d be delighted if he joined. And even more so if we then picked up some good strong L1 young players with experience of that level to go with it

Very much this. How realistic that is, in our current situation is naturally very open to debate.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 28 Jun 2023 15:24

Yeah seems like a sensible transfer. We don't want to be flooding our squad with players like this if we can help it, but a 12 month deal with an option of a further year would be a fairly good bit of business.

Still a decent footballer and his experience will be important I imagine. I'm anticipating that a lot of our squad could be made up of younger players, or U21 prospects from our own academy, so having another experienced head in the team is important.

Obviously, all will depend on our embargo and what we can or can't do.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 28 Jun 2023 15:48

Stranded If signed as part of a wider squad overhaul ...

When I first read this I thought it said Wilder not wider :(

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 28 Jun 2023 18:04

Apart from the fact it makes our first choice strike partnership have a combined age of 68 and leaves us extremely vulnerable to age related injury and performance issues, this is probably the best we could do as an attacking signing.

It's just the chance of getting enough games out of the pair to make it worth it is worryingly low.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 28 Jun 2023 18:21

Snowflake Royal Apart from the fact it makes our first choice strike partnership have a combined age of 68 and leaves us extremely vulnerable to age related injury and performance issues, this is probably the best we could do as an attacking signing.

It's just the chance of getting enough games out of the pair to make it worth it is worryingly low.

Walcott played 22 last year and Carroll was about 30 I think Hendo said

If we can get that out of them again all good

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 28 Jun 2023 23:10

genome how exactly are we going to pay his wages

Sell our tiny stake in Royal Elm Park which Dai tried to sell before the EFL told him to F off

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 28 Jun 2023 23:26

Question is: Are we signing him because our scouts and Bowen have done extensive research and decided he would be a good addition for our planned squad and style of play - or are we signing him because Dai has heard of his name and that he played in the PL?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jun 2023 01:20

Elm Park Kid Question is: Are we signing him because our scouts and Bowen have done extensive research and decided he would be a good addition for our planned squad and style of play - or are we signing him because Dai has heard of his name and that he played in the PL?

We're probably signing him because he's a good player and willing to join us.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Jun 2023 07:45

Probably just training with the club to keep fit (though also to be introduced to the medical team just in case).

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 29 Jun 2023 07:48

Sutekh Probably just training with the club to keep fit (though also to be introduced to the medical team just in case).

Those two things don’t really go together

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jun 2023 07:48

Pepe the Horseman
Elm Park Kid Question is: Are we signing him because our scouts and Bowen have done extensive research and decided he would be a good addition for our planned squad and style of play - or are we signing him because Dai has heard of his name and that he played in the PL?

He also played a lot under the new manager at Southampton.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Jun 2023 07:52

Hound
Snowflake Royal Apart from the fact it makes our first choice strike partnership have a combined age of 68 and leaves us extremely vulnerable to age related injury and performance issues, this is probably the best we could do as an attacking signing.

Walcott played 22 last year and Carroll was about 30 I think Hendo said

If we can get that out of them again all good

32 including cup games for Carroll last year.

Seeing as his first game last season was on match day 11, if he had been with us over the summer, he probably would’ve played the majority of those games before as well (let’s say 8 as his injury record with us is that he misses 1 in 5), so could’ve easily ended up playing 40 games last season - would’ve been his most since 2011/12.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2023 08:20

Pepe the Horseman

And would have joined in January but at the time Southampton were not willing to rip up the remaining months of his deal - which given he then played virtually every game made sense.

If this happens, it will have been planned on the football side - the appointment of a manager who clearly rates him as well, certainly wouldn't have hurt.

On Strings

by On Strings » 29 Jun 2023 10:18

Medical booked in for today according to Hannah Perkins who dropped the story yesterday that he was at Bearwood.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 29 Jun 2023 10:23

On Strings Medical booked in for today according to Hannah Perkins who dropped the story yesterday that he was at Bearwood.

All our medical used to take place at the spire Dunedin hospital on the bath road. We need a bush watch outside there. My dad used to work in radiology and once got Royston drenth X-rays through before anyone else knew we were in for him so he called me up and told me. Probably my first ever itk moment as a reading fan. CSB

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 29 Jun 2023 11:42

Brogue
On Strings Medical booked in for today according to Hannah Perkins who dropped the story yesterday that he was at Bearwood.

All our medical used to take place at the spire Dunedin hospital on the bath road. We need a bush watch outside there. My dad used to work in radiology and once got Royston drenth X-rays through before anyone else knew we were in for him so he called me up and told me. Probably my first ever itk moment as a reading fan. CSB

Andy Bernal fits perfectly. :D

On Strings

by On Strings » 29 Jun 2023 12:30

We're desperate for bodies, choice will be very limited, and somehow you're still not happy.