Harvey Knibbs

BraisingsteakRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Harvey Knibbs

by BraisingsteakRoyal » 13 Jul 2023 15:04

His stats are sh1t. Apparently Derby and Huddersfield were also interested in him.

Hope he's better than his stats suggest he is.

EDIT: cos they're sh1t.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2023 15:05

Good stuff, see Bowen taking centre stage in the vid…

Hopefully a few more in shortly

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jul 2023 15:24

Good work. Several more needs, but a positive 24 hours at least.

Seems like the "right" sort of signing. Clearly been tracked by Bowen and Carey for a while, young enough to improve but experienced enough to make an immediate impact. Pressing highlighted as a strength which will suit Selles.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 13 Jul 2023 15:40

A very positive signing at this level. I know this sad but life feels good again, LOL.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jul 2023 15:59

BraisingsteakRoyal His stats are sh1t. Apparently Derby and Huddersfield were also interested in him.

It's a point though. Many fans were moaning last season when we were linked with players with underwhelming/poor stats. It's almost as if if it fits the narrative of what the fans want, rather than what is actually needed, then it passes.

Not being negative, I'm always of the idea that it's not about what someone has done before but what they can do for you and if the recruitment team think that Knibbs can thrive and improve in our team then I'm happy enough with that. But there is a view that some fans seem happy with this because it fits the narrative of young player, when his stats at this level aren't too dissimilar to others we've been linked with that were more experienced, but never really stood out.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 13 Jul 2023 16:15

BraisingsteakRoyal His stats are sh1t. Apparently Derby and Huddersfield were also interested in him.

Stats are for geeks and paedophiles.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jul 2023 16:17

YorkshireRoyal99

It's a point though. Many fans were moaning last season when we were linked with players with underwhelming/poor stats. It's almost as if if it fits the narrative of what the fans want, rather than what is actually needed, then it passes.

Not being negative, I'm always of the idea that it's not about what someone has done before but what they can do for you and if the recruitment team think that Knibbs can thrive and improve in our team then I'm happy enough with that. But there is a view that some fans seem happy with this because it fits the narrative of young player, when his stats at this level aren't too dissimilar to others we've been linked with that were more experienced, but never really stood out.

Stats are dependant on what the player has been asked to do: if you've been told not to press - you're pressing stats are going to be lower than someone who's been asked to press, etc. Also Knibbs was playing for a rather poor Cambridge side last season, so that will have a bearing on his stats.

We won't know how we intend to use him until he plays - will he be a lone striker, played in strike partnership, used as a wide forward or as an attacking midfielder? What stats are even relevant will depend on this.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Jul 2023 16:30

you dont need to put a 1 in shit btw its not filtered on here

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 13 Jul 2023 16:39

Clyde1998
YorkshireRoyal99

Stats are dependant on what the player has been asked to do: if you've been told not to press - you're pressing stats are going to be lower than someone who's been asked to press, etc. Also Knibbs was playing for a rather poor Cambridge side last season, so that will have a bearing on his stats.

We won't know how we intend to use him until he plays - will he be a lone striker, played in strike partnership, used as a wide forward or as an attacking midfielder? What stats are even relevant will depend on this.

Agree and that's sort of my point as to why I don't always take previous stats into account, because if we are looking at players who are potentially more suited to our system and their best qualities can be brought out with us then obviously you'd anticipate an improvement.

A lot of fans moaned a fair bit about players with underwhelming records when we were linked with some last season, obviously it's about what they can do for us, where they can fit in, can we improve on something, have we seen another part of his game that wasn't used at his previous clubs but we can look to utilise that etc. You'd anticipate that's the case if Bowen's words are true where he says he's been on our radar for sometime.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Jul 2023 17:05

Last 2 strikers signed from Cambridge worked out ok, Butler & Kitson

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 13 Jul 2023 17:15

Mid Sussex Royal Last 2 strikers signed from Cambridge worked out ok, Butler & Kitson

Both almost had a 1in2 goal scoring record.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jul 2023 17:35

He is a midfielder rather than a striker I think. 5 goals and 5 assists is ok

But he is basically young, reasonably experienced, probably cheap enough. He’ll come and be a solid squad player who is prob sub or substituted more often than not

He is a solid enough signing, don’t think anyone is pretending he is much more than that

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Jul 2023 17:53

HobKnibAnyone?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jul 2023 17:57

Hope he'll be nicknamed Nobby.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 13 Jul 2023 18:04

Does this mean I can officially stop pissing the bed?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 13 Jul 2023 18:31

windermereROYAL Does this mean I can officially stop pissing the bed?

You can probably take the waterproof sheet off

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2023 18:41

Hound He is a midfielder rather than a striker I think. 5 goals and 5 assists is ok

But he is basically young, reasonably experienced, probably cheap enough. He’ll come and be a solid squad player who is prob sub or substituted more often than not

He is a solid enough signing, don’t think anyone is pretending he is much more than that

Better hope we aren't trying to use him as a striker given he's never scored more than 5 league goals in a season.

OS says he was top scorer for Cambridge in L2 with 9 goals. Must have done well in the cup because whoscored has 2 for L2 that year.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 13 Jul 2023 18:49

The Knibbler

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jul 2023 19:59

Snowflake Royal
Hound He is a midfielder rather than a striker I think. 5 goals and 5 assists is ok

Better hope we aren't trying to use him as a striker given he's never scored more than 5 league goals in a season.

OS says he was top scorer for Cambridge in L2 with 9 goals. Must have done well in the cup because whoscored has 2 for L2 that year.

I think he was top scorer in his first L1 season (2021-22): it was four in the league, two in the FA Cup and three in the League Trophy. Scored five (all in the league) last season.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 15 Jul 2023 14:14

This will be a great signing.