Ben Elliott

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Ben Elliott

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Aug 2023 01:14

Will give this it's own thread as it seems to have legs.

Being linked with 20yo Chelsea midfielder. No first team appearances for Super Chels, but has played one game for Cameroon.

Very highly rated there, and talk is they'd be after something similar to the Savage deal, with a hefty sell on + buy back option.

Check the comments in this thread https://twitter.com/TheChelseaSpot/stat ... KesQQ&s=19 they love him.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Ben Elliott

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2023 07:19

Pepe the Horseman Will give this it's own thread as it seems to have legs.

Being linked with 20yo Chelsea midfielder. No first team appearances for Super Chels, but has played one game for Cameroon.

Very highly rated there, and talk is they'd be after something similar to the Savage deal, with a hefty sell on + buy back option.

Check the comments in this thread https://twitter.com/TheChelseaSpot/stat ... KesQQ&s=19 they love him.

While you would hope he does have legs, it's not unusual for Reading to be caught out on that though with some of the more recent signings so hope that is something that they double check.

I know you say he's 20 but is that actually 20 or an African 20?

I note he made his senior debut for Cameroon (v Mexico) on 10 June this year coming on as a sub for Brentford's Bryan Mbuemo so hopefully that'll give some idea of what he does.

He had his serious knee injury at 15 which apparently kept him out for 2 years.

No problem with style of deal either, hope it works for both player and club.

Standard this is what you get highlights video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f3E45qTuMs

And this is him aged 12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g-BBQF0kQI

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2023 07:43

Born in Kingston sw London I think

Can see the appeal of Reading (if I squint hard enough) for him. Local etc. still would be a surprise if we got him after recent events

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Aug 2023 07:59

This like Savage is the exact sort of signing we should making. It’ll take a while for it all to come good but I like what Bowen and co are trying to build. The likes of Carson and Craig also look like good acquisitions. I just hope that Dai doesn’t oxf*rd up anymore.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 15 Aug 2023 08:12

According to MB we had no sell on clause for Olise but I wonder with him set to go to Chelsea if we had something minimal like 1%, which could cover the cost of this deal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Aug 2023 08:23

blythspartan According to MB we had no sell on clause for Olise but I wonder with him set to go to Chelsea if we had something minimal like 1%, which could cover the cost of this deal.

Doesn't matter if we got 100m or Olise, we are banned from paying fees until at least next summer, probably Jan 25.

Very, very highly rated and Cameroon clearly wanted to get him in their plans in case he ever got anywhere near England - deal like Savage makes sense - Chelsea have just shelled out 100s of millions on a midfield, most of whom are around his age, so he would have to be very special already to get anywhere near the squad and with a new manager in, it just isn't going to happen.

Am very impressed with the way Bowen/Carey are trying to do these deals - they will hopefully bring dividends now but if we pull it off and get Elliott in on a 4 year deal as well, Savage/Elliott will either help us back up to the Champ in the next couple of years or we'll get decent fees for one/both of them in a couple of years.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 15 Aug 2023 08:37

Sutekh

While you would hope he does have legs, it's not unusual for Reading to be caught out on that though with some of the more recent signings so hope that is something that they double check.

I note he made his senior debut for Cameroon (v Mexico) on 10 June this year coming on as a sub for Brentford's Bryan Mbuemo so hopefully that'll give some idea of what he does.

And this is him aged 12

So he's perfected the Chelsea dive and can't shoot. Has quick feet and good positioning and anticipation. He's strong for youth football but would be bullied physically at senior level.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Aug 2023 08:46

Stranded
blythspartan According to MB we had no sell on clause for Olise but I wonder with him set to go to Chelsea if we had something minimal like 1%, which could cover the cost of this deal.

Doesn't matter if we got 100m or Olise. We are banned from paying fees until at least next summer, probably Jan 25.

Very, very highly rated and Cameroon clearly wanted to get him in their plans in case he ever got anywhere near England - deal like Savage makes sense - Chelsea have just shelled out 100s of millions on a midfield, most of whom are around his age, so he would have to be very special already to get anywhere near the squad and with a new manager in, it just isn't going to happen.

Am very impressed with the way Bowen/Carey are trying to do these deals - they will hopefully bring dividends now but if we pull it off and get Elliott in on a 4 year deal as well, Savage/Elliott will either help us back up to the Champ in the next couple of years or we'll get decent fees for one/both of them in a couple of years.

As long as we have an owner who is willing to sell rather than just letting them run down their contracts and leave for free.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2023 08:47

I think it’s the right type of signing. We do genuinely seem to be trying to build a young team, it may or may not work but it should be interesting and more enjoyable to watch. Seems to be one eye on trying to sell some of these lads on at a later date and make us self sustaining

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Aug 2023 08:56

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh

And this is him aged 12

So he's perfected the Chelsea dive and can't shoot. Has quick feet and good positioning and anticipation. He's strong for youth football but would be bullied physically at senior level.

Definitely not the finished article and may need to bulk up a little but does seem to have performed well in the EFL Trophy against L1 sides - very small sample size admittedly - appears to have run the show in a 4-2 win at a close to full strength Peterboriough last season.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 15 Aug 2023 09:29

Stranded Am very impressed with the way Bowen/Carey are trying to do these deals

Just wondering what impact Jarrod Dublin would have had on this summer's transfer dealings and has he been replaced yet?

skipper
Hob Nob Regular

by skipper » 15 Aug 2023 09:39

blythspartan This like Savage is the exact sort of signing we should making. It’ll take a while for it all to come good but I like what Bowen and co are trying to build. The likes of Carson and Craig also look like good acquisitions. I just hope that Dai doesn’t oxf*rd up anymore.

Whete did we get Carson and Craig from?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Aug 2023 09:56

skipper
blythspartan This like Savage is the exact sort of signing we should making. It’ll take a while for it all to come good but I like what Bowen and co are trying to build. The likes of Carson and Craig also look like good acquisitions. I just hope that Dai doesn’t oxf*rd up anymore.

Carson was at burnley, not sure if we signed him from them or whether he was released and a free agent at the time

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/f ... son-signs/

Craig was released by spurs

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2022/j ... ink-deals/

Both signed in 2022

I don’t go to youth matches but I went to the Watford cup game last season and Craig looked the muts nuts. Ran the show.

Not seen Carson play.
Last edited by Brogue on 15 Aug 2023 09:59, edited 1 time in total.

biff

by biff » 15 Aug 2023 09:59

Sutekh

Jesus, Karbota's secondary?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Aug 2023 09:59

skipper

Carson came from Accrington. Craig came in from Spurs I think.

Carson only had 25 mins of EFL Trophy football to his name at Accrington. Craig never close to the Spurs squad before his release.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 15 Aug 2023 10:08

Likely to go to the ACON in january. And Cameroon often get to the latter stages. If we are signing him to be in the first team (which reading through them Twitter threads is likely) then we will be without him between 13th Jan - 11th feb. Looking at the fixtures that would be six games he would miss if Cameroon made it to the final. We play pompey on the 17th feb which would be the first game he would be back for.

Would miss

Port vale at home
Wigan away
Orient at home
Oxford away
Charlton at home
Fleetwood away.
Last edited by Brogue on 15 Aug 2023 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 15 Aug 2023 10:11

Carson had been on loan somewhere in non league I think. Can’t remember well but think seem to remember the fans liked him there

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Aug 2023 11:07

Hound Carson had been on loan somewhere in non league I think. Can’t remember well but think seem to remember the fans liked him there

Had loan spells at Carrick Rangers and Telford - Telford was cut short so he could join us.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 15 Aug 2023 11:10

Brogue Likely to go to the ACON in january. And Cameroon often get to the latter stages. If we are signing him to be in the first team (which reading through them Twitter threads is likely) then we will be without him between 13th Jan - 11th feb. Looking at the fixtures that would be six games he would miss if Cameroon made it to the final. We play pompey on the 17th feb which would be the first game he would be back for.

Would miss

Port vale at home
Wigan away
Orient at home
Oxford away
Charlton at home
Fleetwood away.

Tbf if he has a history of knee injuries and he's coming here, then he may have missed those fixtures even if he wasn't eligible for the AFCON.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Aug 2023 15:34

Orion1871
Brogue Likely to go to the ACON in january. And Cameroon often get to the latter stages. If we are signing him to be in the first team (which reading through them Twitter threads is likely) then we will be without him between 13th Jan - 11th feb. Looking at the fixtures that would be six games he would miss if Cameroon made it to the final. We play pompey on the 17th feb which would be the first game he would be back for.

Would miss

Port vale at home
Wigan away
Orient at home
Oxford away
Charlton at home
Fleetwood away.

Tbf if he has a history of knee injuries and he's coming here, then he may have missed those fixtures even if he wasn't eligible for the AFCON.

History of knee injuries :lol: