Dom Ballard

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Dom Ballard

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2023 12:33

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound Was that basically what Carroll was?

I’d have ideally had someone else like Smith, young but plenty of experience on a free. Granted not too easy to find

I was thinking someone with a record of scoring 10 goals in a season within the last decade.

Well yes Madine did scrape together 10 goals in a season about the time Carroll scored 9 in the prem

Their scoring records appear to be pretty similar otherwise tbh

Not saying Blyth's choice was good. :P

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Sep 2023 17:06

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
blythspartan
Yep, we should be but I’d still take a punt on someone like Gary Madine and give him a one year deal. I just think because we mostly have young forwards we could do with an older pro who knows this league.

Based on that we could have potentially tried to convince Shane Long for another 12 months before retiring. Granted those conversations may have happened during the off season.

Thought it was fairly clear we had those conversations with Long and Walcott.

Long was like Carroll though. Hadn't really scored goals in years.

I didn't know it did with Long, I thought he was just hanging up his boots. Aware of the Walcott interest though.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 11 Sep 2023 18:00

Snowflake Royal
Hound
Snowflake Royal I was thinking someone with a record of scoring 10 goals in a season within the last decade.

Well yes Madine did scrape together 10 goals in a season about the time Carroll scored 9 in the prem

Fair enough - you did say that sort of signing - thought you were agreeing

But an experienced goal scorer would have been ok. Just don’t think anyone who doesn’t run around a lot suits Selles

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2023 18:32

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Hound

Fair enough - you did say that sort of signing - thought you were agreeing

But an experienced goal scorer would have been ok. Just don’t think anyone who doesn’t run around a lot suits Selles

I didn't stop to check his record tbf

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2023 17:39

Looks great.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 07 Dec 2023 18:04

Just wondering with Ballard’s season ending injury, paying the tax bill and J Clarke going out on loan if we are looking to sign a new striker.

I’d be happy with a free agent who has league one/two or National League experience. Someone in the mould of the Eastleigh strikers would suit me.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 07 Dec 2023 18:30

blythspartan Just wondering with Ballard’s season ending injury, paying the tax bill and J Clarke going out on loan if we are looking to sign a new striker.

I’d be happy with a free agent who has league one/two or National League experience. Someone in the mould of the Eastleigh strikers would suit me.

All related to takeover activity. If Dai hasn’t agreed a sale by January, we'll see plenty of transfer activity but not players coming in.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 07 Dec 2023 21:04

blythspartan Just wondering with Ballard’s season ending injury, paying the tax bill and J Clarke going out on loan if we are looking to sign a new striker.

Jahmari Clarke is only out on loan for two months (28 Jan) initially. I imagine he'll be considered for the first team if he does well at Boreham Wood.

I'd imagine Ballard will have his loan terminated by Southampton in January, allowing us to get another striker in.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Dec 2023 08:03

Clyde1998

Jahmari Clarke is only out on loan for two months (28 Jan) initially. I imagine he'll be considered for the first team if he does well at Boreham Wood.

I'd imagine Ballard will have his loan terminated by Southampton in January, allowing us to get another striker in.

Clarke has definitely gone out with an eye on getting him regular minutes in case he is needed come the end of Jan. I would imagine there was a clasuse in the Ballard loan which means he is already back at Soton - we have no idea how much, if any, of his wages we were paying, so impossible to tell how much room we'll have now in the budget - so I'm not expecting a direct replacement.

If Clarke does well and comes back fit it may add fuel to the idea that we will cash in on Vickers in Jan to get some additional funding in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Dec 2023 08:38

Clarke and Vickers are completely different types of players and would perform very different roles in the team. So that doesn’t make much sense to me.

We only have Smith and Ehibhatiomhan to lead the line now, which is exceptionally light on options. So it makes a lot of sense to try to get Clarke competitive games.

Especially as this season is proving that lack of experience in senior football is the biggest factor in our on field performances.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 08 Dec 2023 10:29

Also Clarke wasn't first choice for the Unders - Wareham and Wellens see to be above him in the pecking order - though his possibly more experienced as he's been out on loan before. Another loan is probably a good thing for all involved.