transfer deadline day thread

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Re: transfer deadline day thread

by windermereROYAL » 02 Sep 2023 10:37

17 players in including 4 u21s and the usual suspect(s) still find cause to moan. I couldn`t be happier with the business we`ve done.
Lets see us do it on the pitch now, probably to youngest squad we`ve ever had so I`m anticipating a mixed season.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 02 Sep 2023 11:11

We will only get better as the young players develop. Expecting a strong finish to the season.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 02 Sep 2023 11:28

Royal_jimmy
72 bus
Royal_jimmy Still probably a striker light but pleased he has signed

Signed two today , how many more would you like ?
We now have Ehibhatiomhan, Smith, Vickers, Ballard, Wareham, Jamari Clarke.

1) Vickers is not a striker, he's an attacking midfielder/wide forward.

2) Wareham is an U21 signing

3) Clarke is injury prone

Vickers has been playing as a striker.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Sep 2023 11:38

Brogue We will only get better as the young players develop. Expecting a strong finish to the season.

Stick some money on us to win the league in 24/25.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 02 Sep 2023 15:07

Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
72 bus
Signed two today , how many more would you like ?
We now have Ehibhatiomhan, Smith, Vickers, Ballard, Wareham, Jamari Clarke.

1) Vickers is not a striker, he's an attacking midfielder/wide forward.

2) Wareham is an U21 signing

3) Clarke is injury prone

Vickers has been playing as a striker.

A support striker but I don't think that's his position. He should be in the Swift/Olise role.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 02 Sep 2023 20:06

Brogue We will only get better as the young players develop. Expecting a strong finish to the season.

As I see it there should be a slight note of caution in that I believe they play fewer games at youth level and they could potentially be absolutely knackered 2/3rds of the way through the season.

Hopefully it’s being managed and won’t be a factor.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Sep 2023 21:42

Royal Ginger

As I see it there should be a slight note of caution in that I believe they play fewer games at youth level and they could potentially be absolutely knackered 2/3rds of the way through the season.

Hopefully it’s being managed and won’t be a factor.

Don’t stress, they’ll be injured by then anyway.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 03 Sep 2023 07:27

Sutekh
The Green Programme
Crowbar6753 Considering our current plight and being a basket case of a club lol :D that was a pretty impressive transfer window by all accounts!!
Bowen, Selles & Co have put together a team full of young hungry players who are happy and able to try and play an attractive brand of fast flowing football, plus utilizing our Academy to its fullest.

All this is a total Night and Day to last seasons turgid Pince ball which was offered up week in week out.

We will lose a fair few of these players in the near future, however that is how we have to operate moving forward to stabilize the club.

Bowen may well have dug Dai out of a bit of a hole and he may just survive against all odds!!

I agree.

Letting both Carroll and Bouzanis go; we’re the right decisions too.

Being an optimist, I would like to think that perhaps Dai/Pang are learning to appoint and listen to the right people and having Bowen and Carey in place and a coach who wants to play a particular, exciting style of play - and who is discerning in his selection for the right reasons - the bounce (or at least the potential for it) may be underway.

Still got NGW and Holmes left too, be interesting to see if they reappear in the matchday squads or not now.

Turkish and Saudi Pro League markets remain open... If only the club knew a super agent who could help shift surplus players for us... :D

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Sep 2023 09:15

Be interesting to see if Holmes ever plays for us again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 10:18

I would hate to see one of our own ostracised and treated badly just for struggling for form after playing in shit sides that were poorly managed.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 03 Sep 2023 10:47

Of the players we obtained in this transfer window at least some of them were players that other members of the team will have worked with before.

Selles has already worked with Mukairu and Ballard before and there are connections with Elliott and the other ex-Chelsea academy players, the same for Savage and those who are ex-Man Utd academy. Even the Knibbs/Smith partnership is already there.

I guess this bodes well for this season and possibly helped players choose Reading over other teams?

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 03 Sep 2023 12:18

morganb Of the players we obtained in this transfer window at least some of them were players that other members of the team will have worked with before.

Selles has already worked with Mukairu and Ballard before and there are connections with Elliott and the other ex-Chelsea academy players, the same for Savage and those who are ex-Man Utd academy. Even the Knibbs/Smith partnership is already there.

I guess this bodes well for this season and possibly helped players choose Reading over other teams?

I feel like for once we've made some clever signings who are part of a proper project. We'll have some stinkers this season but we'll have some good weeks and improve into next year. Its whether fans will be patient for it.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Sep 2023 12:41

Snowflake Royal I would hate to see one of our own ostracised and treated badly just for struggling for form after playing in shit sides that were poorly managed.

Suspect there is more to it than that. Or he’d have been on the bench/playing u21

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Sep 2023 12:43

morganb Of the players we obtained in this transfer window at least some of them were players that other members of the team will have worked with before.

Assume savage and Wellens know each other well. Wellens was quite rated i think at times - gone under the radar a bit that one

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 13:11

Hound
Snowflake Royal I would hate to see one of our own ostracised and treated badly just for struggling for form after playing in shit sides that were poorly managed.

Suspect there is more to it than that. Or he’d have been on the bench/playing u21

NGW is in the same situation.

Holmes has always been a pretty model pro, so if there's been some sort of bust up over one game, I'm sorry but that sounds more like a Selles problem than a Holmes problem.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 03 Sep 2023 13:32

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Holmes has always been a pretty model pro, so if there's been some sort of bust up over one game, I'm sorry but that sounds more like a Selles problem than a Holmes problem.

At least NGW is playing for the u21s today.

Personally, I think Holmes has his limitations, but he should easily be good enough for League One. Had we been in a much better position in the past he’d never have got so much game time and would have had a more gradual introduction to the first team. He’s always had to play for a struggling team with a losing mentality, which has been poorly managed.

Hopefully, a complete break for a while might do him the world of good. I’d like to see him playing for a team that’s full of confidence, scoring goals and winning football matches.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Sep 2023 14:02

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
Hound

At least NGW is playing for the u21s today.

Personally, I think Holmes has his limitations, but he should easily be good enough for League One. Had we been in a much better position in the past he’d never have got so much game time and would have had a more gradual introduction to the first team. He’s always had to play for a struggling team with a losing mentality, which has been poorly managed.

Hopefully, a complete break for a while might do him the world of good. I’d like to see him playing for a team that’s full of confidence, scoring goals and winning football matches.

Agree. There's a decent player in there and the frustrating thing is I think he'd be genuinely good at this level alongside Binden, Mbengue or Abbey.

Especially with a midfield that isn’t shit and defensive set piece coaching that isn't actively trying to give the opposition goals.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 03 Sep 2023 14:09

Snowflake Royal
Hound

Depends what happened/what was said really doesn’t it? (If anything at all, he might just be dropped)

MIM Royal

by MIM Royal » 03 Sep 2023 16:19

Thing is Holmes has struggled over the last 3 years, shown to be very short on pace and tactical nouse. Individually not his fault we were relegated, but part of a consistently leaky defence. As others have said, maybe deeper than just form, but hopefully back and improved when he re-emerges to push the current position occupants further.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Sep 2023 11:22

holmes best spell for us was when he was filling in a right back