Arsenal looking at Vickers and Bindon

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Arsenal looking at Vickers and Bindon

by Orion1871 » 11 Dec 2023 09:04

He's not at their level, but like I say he doesn't need to be at the level of players like that to go there and still have a good career even if he didn't make it to playing in the Bernabeu for Madrid.
Last edited by Orion1871 on 11 Dec 2023 14:52, edited 1 time in total.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 Dec 2023 09:18

Orion1871 You could also say that the Real Madrid system produces a lot of top flight players, even if they don't make their first team. Our friend Alex Fernandez is an example of a player who has gone on to have a career in La Liga despite not making it as a Real player. His brother Nacho came through their system and has had a career as an extremely valuable squad member in multiple CL winning campaigns.

If the interest is genuine, I have my doubts if the S*n is reporting it, he would likely still be playing mens football as well because B teams over there play in the lower leagues. They aren't signing Galacticos any more, they're looking to buy young promising players and develop them. They're having quite a bit of success at it as well with Camavinga, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Valverde, amongst others.

Arsenal have a good system that has produced players for their first team both in the past and currently with Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, and Saka. So it's not like they don't have a pathway to success either.

But lazy to say the Celtic is clearly a better option.

Real Madrid have their B team in the third tier. So Vickers could train with Real Madrid's first team players and coaches, whilst potentially playing regular football at a similar level to League One.

With Arsenal, he'll almost certainly have to go out on loan to get regular first team football at a decent level - although that could open up the possibility of him being loaned back to us until the end of the season. If he didn't go out on loan, he'd simply be playing in the U21 league - where our U21 team is. He'd be training with better players and coaches however.

He'd probably be in the Celtic first team squad - with the Scottish Premiership being probably between the English Championship and League One in ability (in general). He'd no doubt be playing European football next season - possibly at Champions League level. The Scottish Premier is increasingly getting interest from larger European leagues for talent, so he'd no doubt be picked up by a bigger club in a few seasons should be perform for Celtic.

There's clearly pros and cons to each - assuming any of them are actually interested.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 11 Dec 2023 09:23

Spanner 3rd tier < League 1. But agree with the point that Madrid may well view him as a top flight player they can produce and sell on, and if he exceeds expectations and can actually play for them alongside Vinicius Jr and Rodrygo then amazing. But you'd have to say the latter is unlikely. That's why the sell on is key; if we have 25% and they sell for £15m in 3 years time that will come in handy.

You see it's a model for City and Chelsea too. Because of accounting tricks, selling a youngster who cost you nothing is much better for FFP than selling on an expensive flop for the same price.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Dec 2023 20:53

Orion1871 You could also say that the Real Madrid system produces a lot of top flight players, even if they don't make their first team. Our friend Alex Fernandez is an example of a player who has gone on to have a career in La Liga despite not making it as a Real player. His brother Nacho came through their system and has had a career as an extremely valuable squad member in multiple CL winning campaigns.

If the interest is genuine, I have my doubts if the S*n is reporting it, he would likely still be playing mens football as well because B teams over there play in the lower leagues. They aren't signing Galacticos any more, they're looking to buy young promising players and develop them. They're having quite a bit of success at it as well with Camavinga, Vinicius, Rodrygo, Valverde, amongst others.

Arsenal have a good system that has produced players for their first team both in the past and currently with Nketiah, Smith-Rowe, and Saka. So it's not like they don't have a pathway to success either.

Bit lazy to say the Celtic is clearly a better option.

I'd love Alex Fernandez back if it was ever realistic, he genuinely loved it here with us and I thought he was a decent player. Shame he never got a proper chance.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Dec 2023 20:54

Orion1871 He's not at their level, but like I say he doesn't need to be at the level of players like that to go there and still have a good career even if he didn't make it to playing in the Bernabeu for Madrid.

Vickers would have to work crazily hard to even potentially one day be close to Real's team but he certainly could be playing for a premier league club one day. We should be making the most of him whilst he's here!

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 11 Dec 2023 20:57

Clyde1998

But lazy to say the Celtic is clearly a better option.

Real Madrid have their B team in the third tier. So Vickers could train with Real Madrid's first team players and coaches, whilst potentially playing regular football at a similar level to League One.

With Arsenal, he'll almost certainly have to go out on loan to get regular first team football at a decent level - although that could open up the possibility of him being loaned back to us until the end of the season. If he didn't go out on loan, he'd simply be playing in the U21 league - where our U21 team is. He'd be training with better players and coaches however.

He'd probably be in the Celtic first team squad - with the Scottish Premiership being probably between the English Championship and League One in ability (in general). He'd no doubt be playing European football next season - possibly at Champions League level. The Scottish Premier is increasingly getting interest from larger European leagues for talent, so he'd no doubt be picked up by a bigger club in a few seasons should be perform for Celtic.

There's clearly pros and cons to each - assuming any of them are actually interested.

Really good balanced argument here. I would hope he'd end up at Celtic as he could be sold for £15-20m later on. Real Madrid could freeze him out and release him later, same with Arsenal.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 11 Dec 2023 21:32

Celtic have only ever sold three players for £15m+. One of those was Jota to the Saudi money burners. They might get a decent price for him, but doubt it would be in that range.

Tbf Real Madrid got €8m for Sergio Arribas, who was the best player in their B team. So they aren't selling for huge fees from the B team either.

I don't think there would be a huge difference in the fee Celtic or Real would get for him. Obviously if he was really successful at Real that would be a bigger difference in transfer fees.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Dec 2023 22:20

Weren't Celtic interested in Olise too?

They're obviously good at scouting young talent, they just aren't much of a draw being in a piss poor one and a half team league in frigid nowhere.