Charlie Savage to Derby

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Charlie Savage to Derby

by blythspartan » 03 Jan 2024 12:45

No way we should be letting Savage go. Yes, he hasn’t been great, but sometimes these youngsters need to get a run of games to find their feet. Azeez’s current form is proof that we need to be patient.

We have lost a few decent players because they haven’t hit the ground running. I could understand that when we were in the Premiership and challenging for promotion in the Championship, but in League One we need to let players like Savage flourish and give them time

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 03 Jan 2024 13:36

there is no way utd would have put a first-refusal clause in the deal if they didn't think he's going to go on to be a good player in the future. we should defo keep hold

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 03 Jan 2024 17:00

Brogue there is no way utd would have put a first-refusal clause in the deal if they didn't think he's going to go on to be a good player in the future. we should defo keep hold

Man United have hardly built a reputation for good decision making in the last decade however.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 03 Jan 2024 17:25

Hendo
hughsies no.1 So much hype around this signing, but lets be honest - he has underwhelmed and hasn't earned a starting spot and since he has lost his starting spot we have seen our recent upturn in form.

Sideways and backwards passing, Elliot is streets ahead of him currently and he can't get in the team either.

Obviously a signing for the future, but wouldn't be a disaster if he went by any means imho.

Other than for the winner on Monday though...

It was his forward pass into space for Dorsett which started the move.

Weird comparison with Elliott too.

Savage is a pretty straight forward CM, Elliott is clearly an AM.

DM: Craig & Hutch
CM: Wing & Savage
AM: Knibbs, Elliott & Vickers

You wouldn't compare Knibbs to Craig...

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Jan 2024 10:13

Given the views aired today by Sam Smith - it will be interesting* to see if some players feel they have been sold a dud push for a move away. Savage could well be one of those esp if not playing.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Jan 2024 11:23

YorkshireRoyal99
Brogue there is no way utd would have put a first-refusal clause in the deal if they didn't think he's going to go on to be a good player in the future. we should defo keep hold

Man United have hardly built a reputation for good decision making in the last decade however.

Can I just clarify here that both of you are suggesting Charlie Savage might be good enough to play for Man United one day?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 04 Jan 2024 11:25

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

Can I just clarify here that both of you are suggesting Charlie Savage might be good enough to play for Man United one day?

No :roll:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Jan 2024 11:29

Stranded Given the views aired today by Sam Smith - it will be interesting* to see if some players feel they have been sold a dud push for a move away. Savage's dad could well be one of those esp if not playing.

C4y

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Jan 2024 11:30

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

No.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Jan 2024 11:39

John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

The way they are going he might just be

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 04 Jan 2024 13:09

Hound
John Smith
YorkshireRoyal99

The way they are going he might just be

:o

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 04 Jan 2024 22:37

He will leave, why would he stay?

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2024 08:46

SouthDownsRoyal He will leave, why would he stay?

Because he’s under contract?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 05 Jan 2024 09:45

Hound

We all know that means jack in football but yes, he can't just walk away there needs to be a deal done with Derby that gives us something we can be happy with. Am pretty sure Derby are still limited in the level of fee they can pay - seem to remember reading they can only pay a max. of 250k, which if I am remembering correctly, I just don't see a deal at that level unless Savage makes it clear he feels he has been misled into signing for us and is no longer happy as a result. Then, we may feel that is better to move him on.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 05 Jan 2024 10:22

This is a classic piece of Transfer Window fishing by journo's needing to fill column inches.

This is how it goes:

Journo: "Hmmmm, what would be a reasonable sounding potential transfer? I know, a player from a financially strapped team to a "bigger" team that looks like they are going places. Great - now who?? Someone from Carlisle? Cheltenham? Nah - no names there that my knuckle-dragging readers would have heard of....hang about; how about Charlie Savage - son of lovable scamp and dancing supremo Robbie Savage - who is at cash strapped Reading! Perfect!! Now who do I suggest might be interested in him.....I know, Derby County! Brilliant; same division but in the play-offs, and Robbie used to play for them.......totally plausible and gullibile fans from both teams will discuss it for days. Let me knock up a few "sources suggest..." type unattributable (and of course, wholly made up) quotes and - bingo, copy filed. Right, I'm off down the pub."

EDIT: I just read the article posted, and then the link to the Daily Mail; frankly my spoof of what happened gives that story for more credit than it derserves!

It literally says nothing whatsoever; Derby are "interested" in Savage and "it is understood" that Reading have "knocked back" an initial enquiry from them........

:lol:

Googling "Charlie Savage Transfer Speculation" only results in news of his transfer to us last Summer; there are multiple sources for that story, with quotes and details. There are zero references to the Derby story on-line from anywhere other than The Daily Mail and their story picked up by the publication quoted in the 1st post on this thread.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 05 Jan 2024 15:07

Stockport and an unnamed Championship club have joined the race for Charlie Savage. Reading have told them he’s not for sale.

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/17 ... 5130031208 and Daily Star

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jan 2024 16:29

Doncha just love the media at transfer window time? SKY et all need random believable cr@pola they can bang on about for hours to fill time and/or column/screen space. Luckily not only is there tw@tter and many agents willing to generate any form of interest in their clients but also the media these days is packed full of "creative" journos well experienced in pooping out massive amounts of **** with just one phone call (or even less). And then you wonder how you get Yermaz Dildo stories out there.

Much prefer it all before "windows" when teams were free to trade throughout the season right up until the end of March - least then this sort of cr@p only got annoying for the last couple of weeks rather than for months (and with actual on screen countdowns too :roll: )

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Jan 2024 20:43

Hound

Ah true, no way he will leave then.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Jan 2024 20:55

SouthDownsRoyal
Hound

Ah true, no way he will leave then.

He might be it’s not up to him (unless he has some clause)

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 05 Jan 2024 21:05

morganb Stockport and an unnamed Championship club have joined the race for Charlie Savage. Reading have told them he’s not for sale.

https://twitter.com/RFCLatest/status/17 ... 5130031208 and Daily Star

I'm guessing, if Stockport were involved, they would've been looking for a loan - which there was no chance of us agreeing to. A Championship club taking a look is a bit more interesting, but I doubt he'd be a first team player at any Championship club right now.