Charlie Savage to Derby

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Charlie Savage to Derby

by Mr Angry » 08 Jan 2024 17:49

Is it worth recounting the infamous "Kevin Doyle wanted by Aston Villa" rumour from yesteryear?

After Reading played Villa in the 2nd game of our 1st Premier League season myself and a couple of other nobbers decided to show how transfer rumours start.

So we posted an entirely fictitious story that Martin O'Niell (the then Villa Manager) was so impressed by Doyle in that game that he had enquired about him.

Nobody bit for ages, but then it got picked up as a story by a red top (Daily Star iirc) and suddenly it became part of the rumour mill of potential transfers, even going so far as to a question being asked of Steve Coppell at a press conference and him issuing a denial that Villa had enquired about Doyle.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... r%20window.

Social media, people with time on their hands, news outlets needing to fill hours of air time/hunderds of column inches, agents trying to generate interest for a client etc etc is a potent brew, and I would guess that at least 80% of all transfer rumours are basically BS.

Generally harmless but in other cases, its how conspiracy thoeries, fake news and genuine trouble can start.

Basically, don't believe everything you hear or read.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 08 Jan 2024 17:55

The difference is this was reported by a senior Daily Mail journalist on NYD backed up by a former local Reading journalist so this clearly has legs.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Jan 2024 18:52

RG30 The difference is this was reported by a senior Daily Mail journalist on NYD backed up by a former local Reading journalist so this clearly has legs.

The rumour may be true but the two sources you’ve quoted are absolutely no evidence that it isn’t made up

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 08 Jan 2024 19:59

Mr Angry Is it worth recounting the infamous "Kevin Doyle wanted by Aston Villa" rumour from yesteryear?

After Reading played Villa in the 2nd game of our 1st Premier League season myself and a couple of other nobbers decided to show how transfer rumours start.

So we posted an entirely fictitious story that Martin O'Niell (the then Villa Manager) was so impressed by Doyle in that game that he had enquired about him.

Nobody bit for ages, but then it got picked up as a story by a red top (Daily Star iirc) and suddenly it became part of the rumour mill of potential transfers, even going so far as to a question being asked of Steve Coppell at a press conference and him issuing a denial that Villa had enquired about Doyle.

Social media, people with time on their hands, news outlets needing to fill hours of air time/hunderds of column inches, agents trying to generate interest for a client etc etc is a potent brew, and I would guess that at least 80% of all transfer rumours are basically BS.

Generally harmless but in other cases, its how conspiracy thoeries, fake news and genuine trouble can start.

Indeed, I mean Pepe the horseman even got ian royal on the next reading manager bettings odds list with sky bet after we sacked one of our managers.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2024 22:04

Brogue
Mr Angry Is it worth recounting the infamous "Kevin Doyle wanted by Aston Villa" rumour from yesteryear?

Indeed, I mean Pepe the horseman even got ian royal on the next reading manager bettings odds list with sky bet after we sacked one of our managers.

Twice. Although the second time he was actually in the running.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jan 2024 22:29

Same as how ghost stories start

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2024 08:57

Brogue

Wasn't picked up nationally but Yermas Dildo will always be a favourite.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 09:01

Hendo
Brogue

https://www.sportbible.com/football/foo ... n-20210201

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2024 09:49

Clyde1998
Hendo
Brogue

When I say wasn't picked up nationally, I meant the rumour wasn't run in the papers. Not some ladbible clickbait website picked up on the story.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 09 Jan 2024 09:55

Hendo
Clyde1998
Hendo

When I say wasn't picked up nationally, I meant the rumour wasn't run in the papers. Not some ladbible clickbait website picked up on the story.
The link was a similar case of Sky Sports reporting Aberdeen signing a player called Yerdas Selzavon (Your Dad sells Avon). :wink:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 09 Jan 2024 10:00

Clyde1998
Hendo

The link was a similar case of Sky Sports reporting Aberdeen signing a player called Yerdas Selzavon (Your Dad sells Avon). :wink:

Ha, nice. I didn't click on the link - clickbait-y website as mentioned.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jan 2024 14:42

Hendo
Clyde1998
Hendo

Ha, nice. I didn't click on the link - clickbait-y website as mentioned.

Apparently he signed a 5 year extension 2 years later so might now be available on a free if the right Reading account can agree terms with Aberdeen.

https://twitter.com/AberdeennFC/status/ ... 46/photo/1

More recently they also tried something similar with the Turkish 'star' Yilgit Fukal :lol:

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 10 Jan 2024 10:27

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
hughsies no.1 So much hype around this signing, but lets be honest - he has underwhelmed and hasn't earned a starting spot and since he has lost his starting spot we have seen our recent upturn in form.

Sideways and backwards passing, Elliot is streets ahead of him currently and he can't get in the team either.

Obviously a signing for the future, but wouldn't be a disaster if he went by any means imho.

Other than for the winner on Monday though...

It was his forward pass into space for Dorsett which started the move.

Weird comparison with Elliott too.

Savage is a pretty straight forward CM, Elliott is clearly an AM.

DM: Craig & Hutch
CM: Wing & Savage
AM: Knibbs, Elliott & Vickers

You wouldn't compare Knibbs to Craig...

Elliot was signed as a holding midfielder who can read the game and pick a pass, look back to any of the interviews Selles did when we signed him, even look at the shirt number he was given. He is now being played on the wing for whatever reason - where he didn't play at Chelsea. It is clear to see he needs to be in the middle of the park, picking passes and making driving runs from midfield.

hughsies no.1

by hughsies no.1 » 10 Jan 2024 10:27

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
hughsies no.1 So much hype around this signing, but lets be honest - he has underwhelmed and hasn't earned a starting spot and since he has lost his starting spot we have seen our recent upturn in form.

Sideways and backwards passing, Elliot is streets ahead of him currently and he can't get in the team either.

Obviously a signing for the future, but wouldn't be a disaster if he went by any means imho.

Other than for the winner on Monday though...

It was his forward pass into space for Dorsett which started the move.

Weird comparison with Elliott too.

Savage is a pretty straight forward CM, Elliott is clearly an AM.

DM: Craig & Hutch
CM: Wing & Savage
AM: Knibbs, Elliott & Vickers

You wouldn't compare Knibbs to Craig...

Elliot was signed as a holding midfielder who can read the game and pick a pass, look back to any of the interviews Selles did when we signed him, even look at the shirt number he was given. He is now being played on the wing for whatever reason - where he didn't play at Chelsea. It is clear to see he needs to be in the middle of the park, picking passes and making driving runs from midfield.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2024 10:31

Lol, he's nothing like a holding midfielder.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2024 10:38

Snowflake Royal Lol, he's nothing like a holding midfielder.

He's far from a wide player as well. With you, I think he is "probably" a 10, but I'm not actually sure what he is. Decent ball player, but not sure what his actual position is. I'd like to think he'd be best as a 10, but honestly not sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 10 Jan 2024 10:41

YorkshireRoyal99

He's far from a wide player as well. With you, I think he is "probably" a 10, but I'm not actually sure what he is. Decent ball player, but not sure what his actual position is. I'd like to think he'd be best as a 10, but honestly not sure.

Yeah agreed.

Like Vickers his strength appears to be in turning either way to beat his man and find some space, with neat incisive passing.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Jan 2024 10:47

Also lol at the notion shirt numbers mean anything anymore.

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 10 Jan 2024 11:21

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah agreed.

Like Vickers his strength appears to be in turning either way to beat his man and find some space, with neat incisive passing.

oxf*rd me, they say lightening doesn’t strike twice :D

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 10 Jan 2024 11:33

blythspartan
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Yeah agreed.

oxf*rd me, they say lightening doesn’t strike twice :D

He had to be talking sense eventually... :?