RUMOUR - Eddie Johnson

160 posts
RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 16 Nov 2006 20:12

soggy biscuit Would be interesting to see how much we would offer for Johnson considering - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/2005-03-11-johnson-portuguese-offer_x.htm offer was made only 12 months ago.

Though general opinion is that it was Johnson himself that ultimately decided not to go to Benfica

Soggs, click the following link and check out the fine print:
BillBrasky Benfica put in a 4 million dollar bid for him sometime last year and MLS rejected it. Here's an article from last year, what's interesting is the bit about the ability to buy out the contract in January '07. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/grant_wahl/07/12/ej.salary/index.html

Leads me to two conclusions:
1.) The alleged offer of $5 mill from Benfica was overstated by a million bucks; and
2.) If transferred during the life of his current deal, EJ would be on the hook to MLS for $4 million, which of course the purchasing club would cover in a transfer fee. Dollar's been pretty weak of late, too, but of course I don't want to get too far out in front here...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 16 Nov 2006 20:29

Actually read on another website that Kansas City Wizards are keen to take Shane Long on loan as part of any deal with us.

Eddie Johnson is also the 4th highest paid player in the MLS
Last edited by soggy biscuit on 16 Nov 2006 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 16 Nov 2006 20:35

football101

by football101 » 17 Nov 2006 04:19

He is Lita 2.0
A newer and improved version but the same headcase none the less. Worth a shot certainly.

jerad

by jerad » 17 Nov 2006 08:30

football101 He is Lita 2.0
A newer and improved version but the same headcase none the less. Worth a shot certainly.

he's never had problems with police, just coaches.

:wink:

BillBrasky

by BillBrasky » 17 Nov 2006 12:55

He's not even close to Lita, at least not now. He'd be a long term project for SC to see if he can turn around his career. He went from scoring 16 goals in MLS in 2004 and scoring 8 goals in his first 8 international caps to scoring 2 goals this season. I wouldn't expect much although he does have the talent.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 17 Nov 2006 13:04

If I say it once I'll say it a 1000 times.

Do they tackle in the US?

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 17 Nov 2006 16:46

My typically arrogant American Reply:

One of the things that makes Johnson a headcase - lately - would make any one of us headcases: being sent from a contending team (FC Dallas) to the windy, empty NFL cavern at Kansas City.

A player of excellent caliber, excellent potential. Given Coppell's ability, he could really be something. He'll certainly give 110%, I guarantee that.

And this also: he's quite a large man. Not paperweight. Can take a lot of punishment, I'd wager, even in the EPL.

Im Spartacus

by Im Spartacus » 17 Nov 2006 17:05

Fat_Septic My typically arrogant American Reply:

One of the things that makes Johnson a headcase - lately - would make any one of us headcases: being sent from a contending team (FC Dallas) to the windy, empty NFL cavern at Kansas City.

A player of excellent caliber, excellent potential. Given Coppell's ability, he could really be something. He'll certainly give 110%, I guarantee that.

And this also: he's quite a large man. Not paperweight. Can take a lot of punishment, I'd wager, even in the EPL.

I wouldn't pay any attention to Jason Royal, he is a prick and despised by most. If you ignore him he will eventually get bored and go away, typically to Miami.

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 17 Nov 2006 18:25

Im Spartacus
Fat_Septic My typically arrogant American Reply:

I wouldn't pay any attention to Jason Royal, he is a prick and despised by most. If you ignore him he will eventually get bored and go away, typically to Miami.

I appreciate your remarks. Messages on an internet board are harmless. I feel sure that if Jason were to meet me in Miami he would want to hug me and perhaps have my likeness tatooed to his thigh.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Nov 2006 19:07

Fat_Septic And this also: he's quite a large man. Not paperweight. Can take a lot of punishment, I'd wager, even in the EPL.
You could say the same about Bas Savage.

football101

by football101 » 17 Nov 2006 20:17

BillBrasky He's not even close to Lita, at least not now. He'd be a long term project for SC to see if he can turn around his career. He went from scoring 16 goals in MLS in 2004 and scoring 8 goals in his first 8 international caps to scoring 2 goals this season. I wouldn't expect much although he does have the talent.

Forget Lita 2.0 then. He is Drogba Lite. Bullish, physical, and powerful striker but without his skill...........
and has a potential to be just as devastating.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Nov 2006 20:48

another report on the story
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=392376&cc=5739

Having read through some MLS & Kansas City Wizards websites I can't help but notice that Johnsons 'attitide', 'ego' and 'poor work ethic' coming up time & time again.

jerad

by jerad » 18 Nov 2006 05:52

Jason Royal
SpaceCruiser
FiNeRaIn
Jason Royal If he came to Reading with the typical American arrogant attitude

How many Americans football/soccer players have you actually met, let alone average americans?

Well, he is a regular visitor to Miami.

I've been once dumb arse

so you've obviously met plenty of americans then.

:roll:

xeophobic prick.

jerad

by jerad » 18 Nov 2006 06:02

readingbedding If I say it once I'll say it a 1000 times.

Do they tackle in the US?

clubs generally have good team defenses, but bad individual defenders. the marking is weak so players get open easily; however, the tackling is very hard compared to the latin american leagues... not nearly as hard as england, though.

lets put it this way. there is much more dancing on the ball and buildup play than in england, so there more individual skill is diplayed by attacking players than you'd see in the championship. but if you dribble too much, you're bound to get your leg broken by a poorly-timed tackle, from a pissed-off, untalented hack playing rightback.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 20 Nov 2006 01:04

football101
BillBrasky He's not even close to Lita, at least not now. He'd be a long term project for SC to see if he can turn around his career. He went from scoring 16 goals in MLS in 2004 and scoring 8 goals in his first 8 international caps to scoring 2 goals this season. I wouldn't expect much although he does have the talent.

Forget Lita 2.0 then. He is Drogba Lite. Bullish, physical, and powerful striker but without his skill...........
and has a potential to be just as devastating.

he would have a long, long way to go to get there. most do. he's at most Drogba UltraLite

Fat_Septic

by Fat_Septic » 20 Nov 2006 14:18

soggy biscuit another report on the story
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=392376&cc=5739

Having read through some MLS & Kansas City Wizards websites I can't help but notice that Johnsons 'attitide', 'ego' and 'poor work ethic' coming up time & time again.

Although I don't know the man personally, I think being sent to Kansas City and the windy Steppe of Arrowhead NFL emptiness probably had a lot to do with his attitude problems. I think he'd be quite happy and willing to work if given a chance to play at ANY level in England, most especially a quality EPL team.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Nov 2006 00:04

Met and spoke to Eddie tonight at the Royal Families bash.

Really nice bloke, very modest and he answered the question "so, are you going to be joining the Royals" he answered "I very much hope so."

He also signed an autograph and had his picture taken and seemed amazed that anyone would be interested in him.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 21 Nov 2006 01:15

good work, detective :D

let's hope he's right

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Nov 2006 01:28

Panama or not, a 17-minute hattrick is still quite good.

160 posts