Steven Hunt Sell-On Clause

Wolfatthedoor

Re: Steven Hunt Sell-On Clause

by Wolfatthedoor » 22 Jun 2010 13:56

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Lot of talk about the there could be some big bids for Doyle this summer.

Much news up there of that?

Not really - seems to be a small part of the Irish press stirring things up but the view here seems to be that we are spending some money and Doyler will probably view that as a bit of ambition and see how we get on this year - if we move up the table, he will be happy - if we have another fight (or go down), he will probably have a crack with an Aston Villa or equivalent

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Jun 2010 13:58

Wolfatthedoor
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Lot of talk about the there could be some big bids for Doyle this summer.

Not really - seems to be a small part of the Irish press stirring things up but the view here seems to be that we are spending some money and Doyler will probably view that as a bit of ambition and see how we get on this year - if we move up the table, he will be happy - if we have another fight (or go down), he will probably have a crack with an Aston Villa or equivalent

You're the only Wolves fan that acknowledges that Villa are a bigger club. :lol:

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Jun 2010 14:29

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfatthedoor

by Wolfatthedoor » 22 Jun 2010 14:30

Row Z Royal
Wolfatthedoor

You're the only Wolves fan that acknowledges that Villa are a bigger club. :lol:

At the moment, they are - these are, however, exciting times for Wolves - we have an ambitious (but sensible) owner - we have plans for a new, bigger stadium - the aim is to rival Villa as the biggest club in the Midlands, but we have a long, long way to go.

Wolfatthedoor

by Wolfatthedoor » 22 Jun 2010 14:33

Oh Mensa's back - run along now for a bit more hand-to-gland combat, why don't you.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 22 Jun 2010 14:38

Wolfatthedoor At the moment, they are - these are, however, exciting times for Wolves - we have an ambitious (but sensible) owner - we have plans for a new, bigger stadium - the aim is to rival Villa as the biggest club in the Midlands, but we have a long, long way to go.

Man.... I wish we had someone like that.... :wink:

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 22 Jun 2010 14:56

Wolfatthedoor

Fletcher and Doyle is certainly a good starting point, like the centre half from Hull too, though I won't even try and spell it!! Most Hull fans seemed to say he and Hunt were the only positives from last season.

Wolfatthedoor

by Wolfatthedoor » 22 Jun 2010 15:15

Wolfatthedoor

Fletcher and Doyle is certainly a good starting point, like the centre half from Hull too, though I won't even try and spell it!! Most Hull fans seemed to say he and Hunt were the only positives from last season.

We have also bought a left-back from Belgium, who scores goals and has Champions League experience - how are you lot going to do this season? Carry on the impressive late-season momentum?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Jun 2010 15:18

if we can fill the gaps made by departing loanees well, id expect to push the playoffs
otherwise, we'll struggle along in low/mid table

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 22 Jun 2010 15:33

Think he general standard of the division is pretty poor. Newcastle and WBA were a level above everyone else and of the teams comin down Burnley seem like the only side capable of challenging.

2 good signings and with a little luck we should be up there tbh. Maybe u lot could give us Keogh on the cheap. And by cheap I mean free and u pay his wages!!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 22 Jun 2010 15:37

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 22:15, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfatthedoor

by Wolfatthedoor » 22 Jun 2010 15:39

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Think he general standard of the division is pretty poor. Newcastle and WBA were a level above everyone else and of the teams comin down Burnley seem like the only side capable of challenging.

2 good signings and with a little luck we should be up there tbh. Maybe u lot could give us Keogh on the cheap. And by cheap I mean free and u pay his wages!!

Keogh - a player that divides opinion more than any other - a lot of good movement but little in terms of goals. I actually rate him and think we should keep him, but he might want regular football and the Championship would be the obvious place.

Maybe we could use him in a deal for Sigurdsson(?).

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 22 Jun 2010 15:43

Thaumagurist*
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe of the teams comin down Burnley seem like the only side capable of challenging.

I disagree - remember we beat them in the FA Cup. Also consider their new manager, Brian Laws. Is he really a top manager? I don't think so.

I don't think they are a great side, better than most at this level though. Run a tight ship so have some cash, Iwelumo and Sharp, Eagles, McCan and Elliott, Bikey, Cort, Alexander and Caldwell is a very strong spine.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 22 Jun 2010 17:05

Wolfatthedoor Maybe we could use him in a deal for Sigurdsson(?).

Don't make us all start acting like Spacey :wink:

specialjon

by specialjon » 23 Jun 2010 15:43

[quote="Wolfatthedoor]At the moment, they are - these are, however, exciting times for Wolves - we have an ambitious (but sensible) owner - we have plans for a new, bigger stadium - the aim is to rival Villa as the biggest club in the Midlands, but we have a long, long way to go.[/quote]

This sounds very familiar. Wheren't we going into the second year in the premier league with plans for a bigger stadium? With an (alleged) ambitious but sensible owner?!?!?!? :lol:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jun 2010 16:15

specialjon
Wolfatthedoor At the moment, they are - these are, however, exciting times for Wolves - we have an ambitious (but sensible) owner - we have plans for a new, bigger stadium - the aim is to rival Villa as the biggest club in the Midlands, but we have a long, long way to go.

This sounds very familiar. Wheren't we going into the second year in the premier league with plans for a bigger stadium? With an (alleged) ambitious but sensible owner?!?!?!? :lol:

Yes, Wolves are unashamedly following what Jez Moxy has called "the Reading model".

How may follow through with it, and not lose his nerve at the crucial moment. No way of proving it, of course, but I still believe that if we'd pressed ahead with the stadium expansion (Wokingham Council permitting) we'd have stayed up in 2007/8.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jun 2010 17:41

Dirk Gently
How may follow through with it, and not lose his nerve at the crucial moment. No way of proving it, of course, but I still believe that if we'd pressed ahead with the stadium expansion (Wokingham Council permitting) we'd have stayed up in 2007/8.

That's like saying if we'd signed Rooney and Gerrard we'd have stayed up !

There were two reasons we didn't build the extension - financial and political. As I understand it the original budget had been accepted but started to rise to a point where it was getting uneconomic (largely due to the cost of steel). Wokingham Parish Council then timed their objection so that the timing became unmaneagable anyway, but as I understood it the project was probably in serious danger even before then.

Agree it was a shame though....

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 23 Jun 2010 18:54

Sun Tzu Wokingham Parish Council

Who?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Jun 2010 19:03

Row Z Royal You're the only Wolves fan that acknowledges that Villa are a bigger club. :lol:

Never got this either, have I missed wolves wining the champions league?

Villa aren't just slightly bigger, they are probably twice the size. Wolves have potential to be a big club - probably mid table prem at best, they'll never be remotely close to Villa.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Jun 2010 20:41

Sun Tzu
Dirk Gently

That's like saying if we'd signed Rooney and Gerrard we'd have stayed up !

There were two reasons we didn't build the extension - financial and political. As I understand it the original budget had been accepted but started to rise to a point where it was getting uneconomic (largely due to the cost of steel). Wokingham Parish Council then timed their objection so that the timing became unmaneagable anyway, but as I understood it the project was probably in serious danger even before then.

Agree it was a shame though....

The timing was slightly different - the Wokingham (District Council) objection came in early and while the traffic review as a result of this was being performed was when the price of steel went up.

I just feel that it we'd publicly declared that we were still doing this throughout - instead of wavering in the second half of that season - the lift and confidence that everyone would have got would have just made that vital difference. But the expansion plans more or less fizzled out and the whole club was under a malaise.