Graeme Murty to rejoin as a coach

122 posts
bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

Graeme Murty to rejoin as a coach

by bigmike » 26 May 2010 17:00

I was told by a mate that he read in todays EP it says that they expect Graeme Murty to come in as a coach.
Just wondering if anyone knows anything more about this I cant find it on the EP website maybe its due to the fact that all they seem to be concerned about is where Brenda is going to.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Graeme Murty to rejoin as a coach

by Row Z Royal » 26 May 2010 17:04

Doubt it.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 26 May 2010 17:06

Just found it in the printed version of the EP.. Seems that they didnt deem it worthy enough to put it up on the web

Urinal Mint

by Urinal Mint » 26 May 2010 17:13

Would love him back at Reading. Bring him home! Great character, and would be good to have around the place.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 May 2010 18:07

I've always said we should have him back here in some capacity - would be great if he did come back.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 26 May 2010 18:09

No time for sentiment

Club not flush with cash - would rather any money that would be spent on Murty, as a coach, put into reinforcing the squad.

Sorry RL !

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 May 2010 18:20

Yes, I see your point. But bringing him in as a coach for instance, would, probably, mean that someone was leaving - he'd be replacing them, not an additional cost! :wink:

silas
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by silas » 26 May 2010 18:33

Murty is still training at Southampton over the summer, in a bid to earn a contract. He was 'officially' released but Pardew has given him the oppurtunity to earn another deal.

http://www.southampton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=199493

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 26 May 2010 18:34

I'll reserve judgement on this.

I don;t think being a 'nice bloke' is really enough of a qualification for coaching and I have no idea whether he has done the relevant badges, or is any good in this capacity !

Perhaps he's coming in order to do his qualifications and is on a glorified 'work experience'

Would be delighted if it does work, because it can only be good to have another coach with solid Reading connections but he has to merit a place on the staff.

We have been operating under strength since Rodgers left so I don't think there is really a cost implication here.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 26 May 2010 18:49

But do you really need badges? Murty has vast experience at this level and would be a prime candidate to pass it on to players such as Cummings and Kelly.

I'd rather have coaches who know the club inside out, rather than coaches coming from other clubs.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 26 May 2010 19:24

Royal Lady Yes, I see your point. But bringing him in as a coach for instance, would, probably, mean that someone was leaving - he'd be replacing them, not an additional cost! :wink:

McD said that he would be looking to bolster the coaching staff over the summer because when Rodgers, Austin and Lampard Sr left no-one replaced them so we are short on coaches.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 26 May 2010 19:36

Can't see Murts working with the 1st team tbh, maybe part time with the pre academy kids, while he does his badges.

I think we all know Murts has his eye on a media role, which he is very good at. Expect to see him as SOccer Saturday match reporter very soon.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 May 2010 20:04

LoyalRoyalFan But do you really need badges? Murty has vast experience at this level and would be a prime candidate to pass it on to players such as Cummings and Kelly.

I'd rather have coaches who know the club inside out, rather than coaches coming from other clubs.

As far as I know, yes, you do need badges to coach at the level we are.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 26 May 2010 20:50

LoyalRoyalFan But do you really need badges? Murty has vast experience at this level and would be a prime candidate to pass it on to players such as Cummings and Kelly.

I'd rather have good coaches than people who happen to have played for us for a number of years.....

I'd also be dubious of someone going into coaching who hasn't taken the time and interest to do their qualifications. While I agree that having the badges doesn't automatically make you a good coach everyone knows that you need them (even in kids football you must have your level 1 in order to run a team).

Who knows, this may be utter rubbish but I doubt McD would employ someone in a coaching role who wasn;t utterly competant and couldn;t make a contribution to the side. Maybe Murts just makes a mean cup of tea....

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 May 2010 08:14

This is an awkward situation as since the departure of BR and his crew it would seem that McDermott and Gibbs have taken on the very succesfull roll of first team manager and assistant as well as the jobs they were doing previously and it is hard to see how they are going to maintain all these positions over a whole season. We hear a lot about player "burn out" but with the amount of work they have at the club it has to be a concern that some areas are going to be found short during the coming season, due to there not being enough hours in the day.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 May 2010 09:16

Perhaps they are looking at a mentor type role, someone that kinda gees the players up a bit, especially the younger ones.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 May 2010 09:45

Harpers So Solid Crew Perhaps they are looking at a mentor type role, someone that kinda gees the players up a bit, especially the younger ones.

That's what Lampard Snr was meant to be doing - he failed, miserably.

But you'd also like to think that if we do need new coaches, one who lives locally and who is taking on their first actual coaching role will at least be cheap.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 May 2010 10:43

To be honest I live closer to the ground than Murts, have been around the club longer, have coaching qualifications and would be willing to take £1/hour less than him.

I await a call !!

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 27 May 2010 11:51

Given the stage of career that Murts finds himself in, I'd guess that an ideal situation (for him) would be to continue playing whilst combining an opportunity to gain some coaching experience (part time at the academy?). There were strong rumours amongst Oxford fans that he was at their training ground last week.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 27 May 2010 12:01

Dirk Gently
Harpers So Solid Crew Perhaps they are looking at a mentor type role, someone that kinda gees the players up a bit, especially the younger ones.

That's what Lampard Snr was meant to be doing - he failed, miserably.

But you'd also like to think that if we do need new coaches, one who lives locally and who is taking on their first actual coaching role will at least be cheap.

Well, Lamps Snr did encourage Sig to take long shots so he did play a little part as a mentor.

122 posts