SPECULATION - Bertrand on loan, again

187 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Bertrand on loan, again

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2010 11:44

paultheroyal Ian, new season and i thought you were going to get a grip of yourself but old habits die hard.

Your first post you assassinate Bertrand, but when questioned on it, your second post does the exact opposite!!

You need help, and quick. Cant face another season of your inane posting. Oh, and help me out here because its been mentioned tonight, do you go to games and if so how many?

My second post makes exactly the same basic point as my first. Just in a less emotive way. If that's all anyone can pick holes in the post about - and obviously I'm still waiting for Dirk on that - then it's clearly not complete rubbish.

If you don't like my posting, ignore me. Personally I can filter out your more ridiculous posts without the need to do that. As for how many games I go to, that's fairly well documented for anyone who wants to find out. I don't see the point in getting into an "I'm a better fan than you" pissing contest. I also don't see what relevance it has to a discussion about whether we should sign Bertrand or not when we've already got 2/3 left backs on the books and very limited finances.

I don't really think playing in a preseason game means a great deal in relation to the chance to break into the first team bench.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 12:31

Ian Royal
paultheroyal Ian, new season and i thought you were going to get a grip of yourself but old habits die hard.

Your first post you assassinate Bertrand, but when questioned on it, your second post does the exact opposite!!

You need help, and quick. Cant face another season of your inane posting. Oh, and help me out here because its been mentioned tonight, do you go to games and if so how many?

My second post makes exactly the same basic point as my first. Just in a less emotive way. If that's all anyone can pick holes in the post about - and obviously I'm still waiting for Dirk on that - then it's clearly not complete rubbish.

If you don't like my posting, ignore me. Personally I can filter out your more ridiculous posts without the need to do that. As for how many games I go to, that's fairly well documented for anyone who wants to find out. I don't see the point in getting into an "I'm a better fan than you" pissing contest. I also don't see what relevance it has to a discussion about whether we should sign Bertrand or not when we've already got 2/3 left backs on the books and very limited finances.

I don't really think playing in a preseason game means a great deal in relation to the chance to break into the first team bench.

You tell Jake Taylor that

Whilst people are point scoring about Bertrand vs Williams etc, I was interested to see on FLS last night that Bertrand was the full back sucked in by a 1-2 for Burnley's winning goal. Also noticed he looked a little off the pace from the very limited highlights they showed, was still letting players come inside and get a cross in without too much resistance - this weakness aside however, he is a very capable player who will one day be a first team regular for a Premierleague side.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Aug 2010 21:04

Ian I was asking a fair question on the amount of games you go to, not being funny about it but it might help me understand your posts more!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2010 21:12

paultheroyal Ian I was asking a fair question on the amount of games you go to, not being funny about it but it might help me understand your posts more!

about a quarter of them

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 08 Aug 2010 21:21

100% agreed. People who claim to be supporters but never actually set foot in the Mad Stad should be excluded from this forum. They have more time to post than us genuine supporters who travel thousands of miles supporting the R,s but their opinions are completely worthless.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Aug 2010 22:31

Ian Royal
paultheroyal Ian I was asking a fair question on the amount of games you go to, not being funny about it but it might help me understand your posts more!

about a quarter of them

About? So does 5 constitute about a quarter or is it more like 12/13?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2010 23:09

Big Foot
Ian Royal

about a quarter of them

I'll give you a hint. 46/4=

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Aug 2010 00:28

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently
Ian Royal Bertrand thought too highly of himself wanting to break into Chelsea, he had no chance, he simply hasn't showed himself to be good enough for that. So he told us to naff off on coming back. We accept his decision and find someone else.

He then gets told he's got no chance of breaking through at Chelsea this year (something anyone could have told him) and is told he's off on loan again. If we hadn't signed Williams he'd probably have come here and if we'd gone up we'd probably have bought him and given him his premier league chance.

But we filled our gap and I for one am not too interested in going back for a player for one year who's shown himself to be pretty mercenary and a little deluded about his own quality.

We simply can't afford to waste money bringing in a player for a spot where we don't have a hole, no matter how good that player is.

If you don't mind me saying so, what a complete and utter load of bollocks this post is.

Care to explain (using your STAR insider info) Dirk?

Because it seems to me to be based on some fairly clear facts.

1) Bertrand wanting to go back to Chelsea and break through there
2) McDermott saying we wouldn't be able to sign him because of these ambitions - or similar - at the end of last season / beginning of pre-season.
3) Us signing a left back
4) Bertrand then being told he's going on loan by Chelsea.
5) Our frequently mentioned lack of available funds.

Maybe I layered it on rather thick when it came to saying Bertrand had a mercenary nature and overinflated opinion of himself. The first is probably unfair, but I still don't think he's going to be better than mid-table Prem for years at best.

Maybe if Armstrong had retired things might be different with him shifted off the wage bill.

He's Premier League quality and used to Premier League wages - the part that 's complete bollox is the accusation that “he told us to naff off on coming back.” which, conveniently, seems to be omitted from your list of “facts.”

He was never, ever going to be available to come to us and it’s ludicrous to suggest he was or that we ever thought he’d be available. He’s not like Griff who was on-loan because he’d clocked Ricardo Fuller and whose career is winding down, or even like Sidwell or Harpoer who’d been told they could leave – he is an up and coming player at a Big 4 club who was here on a one-year loan to gain experience, and he’s now gone somewhere else to gain more experience.

We’d never have made an offer for him because it’s so patently ludicrous that he’d come to us. So he’s not being aloof and arrogant and “telling us to naff off” in the slightest – there was never even the remotest possibility of him coming here permanently.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Aug 2010 09:02

Ian Royal
Big Foot
Ian Royal about a quarter of them

I'll give you a hint. 46/4=
So we don't enter either cup competition then?

Minimum # of games we'll play in a season is 48, you go to "about" a quarter not "exactly" a quarter...so is it 8 games you go to or 16?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Aug 2010 10:29

Dirk Gently He's Premier League quality and used to Premier League wages - the part that 's complete bollox is the accusation that “he told us to naff off on coming back.” which, conveniently, seems to be omitted from your list of “facts.”

He was never, ever going to be available to come to us and it’s ludicrous to suggest he was or that we ever thought he’d be available. He’s not like Griff who was on-loan because he’d clocked Ricardo Fuller and whose career is winding down, or even like Sidwell or Harpoer who’d been told they could leave – he is an up and coming player at a Big 4 club who was here on a one-year loan to gain experience, and he’s now gone somewhere else to gain more experience.

We’d never have made an offer for him because it’s so patently ludicrous that he’d come to us. So he’s not being aloof and arrogant and “telling us to naff off” in the slightest – there was never even the remotest possibility of him coming here permanently.

You don't get if you don't ask though.

Your contacts within the club may well be right, but they do have a bit of a vested interest in spinning this 'he was never coming back' line to everyone they come across. They may well believe it too, but it doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened, but I agree it would probably be more difficult to sell to Chelsea than going somewhere new like Forest.

I'm quite surprised how little we seem to compete financially this season though. We were never going to be high payers, but not being able to afford pretty basic requirements for the squad seems a little odd to me.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Aug 2010 10:52

hang on- it was widely reported we asked, and he said no, hed like to go back an d force his way into the chelsea side

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 09 Aug 2010 12:50

After watching Williams on Saturday are we all still in agreement that not trying to get Bertrand back on loan is a sensible decision?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Aug 2010 17:42

we asked, he said he didnt want to, end of.

slagging williams off for saturdays failure is LOLable.
he did ok.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Aug 2010 21:38

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal
Care to explain (using your STAR insider info) Dirk?

Because it seems to me to be based on some fairly clear facts.

1) Bertrand wanting to go back to Chelsea and break through there
2) McDermott saying we wouldn't be able to sign him because of these ambitions - or similar - at the end of last season / beginning of pre-season.
3) Us signing a left back
4) Bertrand then being told he's going on loan by Chelsea.
5) Our frequently mentioned lack of available funds.

Maybe I layered it on rather thick when it came to saying Bertrand had a mercenary nature and overinflated opinion of himself. The first is probably unfair, but I still don't think he's going to be better than mid-table Prem for years at best.

Maybe if Armstrong had retired things might be different with him shifted off the wage bill.

He's Premier League quality and used to Premier League wages - the part that 's complete bollox is the accusation that “he told us to naff off on coming back.” which, conveniently, seems to be omitted from your list of “facts.”

Fair enough, I take your points. Although your argument about him being a Prem quality player and never going to return to us is somewhat undermined by the fact that he's still playing Championship football. I'd also argue that Bertand saying he wanted to go back to Chelsea and break through there covers telling us he didn't want to come back.

I don't think that really makes my post complete rubbish. Partial rubbish maybe :), I accept I used far too emotive language and over exaggerated.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 17 Jan 2011 12:12

Back at Chelski, why not try and get him in again?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Jan 2011 12:14

loyalroyal4life Back at Chelski, why not try and get him in again?

Because we don't need a left back. Armstrong is there if we need him, Harte is doing OK and is the set-piece threat we needed. I think it's fair to say we're getting by at left back, for now. (Review in the summer)

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Jan 2011 12:29

I dont often agree with Jay.....but 'greed

Plus Cummings can play there if need be

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Jan 2011 12:37

Apparently Marcus Williams can play in that role as well, if needed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Jan 2011 12:38

Think it would be ridiculous for the club to have 4 left backs on the books who have championship level experience. That would give us 7? full backs in total?

Would seem a total waste of the wage budget

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Jan 2011 12:46

TBM I dont often agree with Jay.....but 'greed

Well you haven't agreed with him on this occasion either.

We certainly need to look at this position again in the summer. Williams might come on and improve, as Cummings has at right back, or he'll have to go, Harte might not have the legs and also not want to sit on the bench, Armstrong has his injury concerns. But for now we're alright.

187 posts