BFTG - Rotherham

120 posts
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

BFTG - Rotherham

by PieEater » 23 Feb 2016 23:20

Well that was a pretty turgid win.

Rotherham set up 4231 and really worked hard to stop us playing, it looked like we'd never break them down and settle for yet another 0-0, but then HRK pounced on a loose ball and the game was over.

The first half was largely forgettable except for Kermo missing yet another chance. Rotherham had a decent chance of a pen but otherwise tried to settle for a point and rarely threaten AAH apart from one headed chance.

Second half was more of the same and it was a real surprise that the 4 first half bookings didn't turn into a red card.

We move on, but with a rare 3 home points. Lets see if we can add to our shit away form on Sat.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Rotherham

by Lower West » 23 Feb 2016 23:35

5 bookings not 4.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Feb 2016 23:40

Hector's backheel was worth the ticket price alone.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal_jimmy » 23 Feb 2016 23:50

That was dreadful from us but we did the job, dug in and got a good win. Puts to bed any relegation worries too.

Rotherham look doomed on that performance. Quietest away fans I've seen for a long time too.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 23 Feb 2016 23:50

Classic dirty 1-0 played infront of a mere 13,400 odd pour souls . Typical Colin W*nker team playing dirty tactics with that t*sser Halford leading the way......one shining light was HRK who continues to prove his doubters including me wrong with a fine performance topped off by a good goal . We're now smack bang in the middle of the table 14 points off both play offs and relegation neither of which is going to happen . Thank goodness for the FA Cup though based on this performance we better up our game v Palance ten fold

6 Million Dollar Man

by 6 Million Dollar Man » 23 Feb 2016 23:59

Rotherham were awful...typical cynical Warnock side. I have no idea why we persisted with just one up front for so long, against such mediocre opposition, at home. Game changer was the substitution that finally gave us two strikers, and although Norwood looked pretty unhappy at being subbed, he'd not had a good game and it was absolutely the right call

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 24 Feb 2016 00:07

Ugly but strangely satisfying

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 24 Feb 2016 00:20

Maneki Neko Ugly but strangely satisfying

Yeah this

Seen far worse this season

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 24 Feb 2016 01:24

Royal_jimmy Quietest away fans I've seen for a long time too.

Can you blame them having to watch that shit week after week, we weren't great but fully deserved the win. I'm struggling to recall any chance they may have had of getting a penalty

It's good to see that Colin has stuck to his footballing principles and hasn't wasted any time getting his new charges to carry them out on the pitch. I'm really surprised we didn't up the tempo from the start of the 2nd half as, with 5 yellows, they would've had to be very careful or risk getting a red.

The substitution of Ollie for Rakels was absolutely the right call as we didn't need the extra man in midfield but I'm not really sure why John was taken of

Lastly, Halford must have one hell of an agent to have managed to keep getting moves to clubs in the championship. How exactly does a professional footballer build a career on only being able to throw a ball a very long way and occasionally being able to head it just because he's tall
Last edited by If you still hate Futcher on 24 Feb 2016 01:32, edited 2 times in total.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 24 Feb 2016 01:25

It wasn't pretty but it was 3 points.
Rotherham tried to stifle us and could have easily ended up a 0-0 or a smash'n'grab 0-1. Had visions of conceding a late controversial goal from a long throw which seemed to be their primary attack option. Typical dirty Warnock outfit supplemented by persistent Halford cheating.
HRK MOTM for me. Big Hec looked good again & agree re back heel. Defence solid. I'd have preferred to have played 2 upfront or switched to that earlier but main thing is 3 points on this occasion,

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Feb 2016 01:26

Only 8 posts so far - oxf*rd me that says it all!

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Feb 2016 01:28

Can you blame them having to watch that shit week after week, we weren't great but fully deserved the win. I'm struggling to recall any chance they may have had of getting a penalty

It's good to see that Colin had stuck to his footballing principles and hang water any time getting his new charges to carry them out on the pitch. I'm really surprised we didn't up the tempo from the start of the 2nd half as, with 5 yellows, they would've had to be very careful of risk getting a red.

The substitution of Ollie for Rakels was absolutely the right call as we didn't need the extra man in midfield but I'm not really sure why John was taken off.

Lastly, Halford most have one hell of an agent to have managed to keep getting more to clubs in the championship. How exactly does a professional footballer build a career on only being able to throw a ball a very long way and occasionally being able to head it just because he's tall

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 24 Feb 2016 01:32

It's good to see that Colin had stuck to his footballing principles and hang water any time getting his new charges to carry them out on the pitch. I'm really surprised we didn't up the tempo from the start of the 2nd half as, with 5 yellows, they would've had to be very careful of risk getting a red.

The substitution of Ollie for Rakels was absolutely the right call as we didn't need the extra man in midfield but I'm not really sure why John was taken off.

Lastly, Halford most have one hell of an agent to have managed to keep getting more to clubs in the championship. How exactly does a professional footballer build a career on only being able to throw a ball a very long way and occasionally being able to head it just because he's tall

The (alleged) penalty was when the ref booked their player for diving in the box in the first half surely?

by If you still hate Futcher » 24 Feb 2016 01:40

RG7Fan
The (alleged) penalty was when the ref booked their player for diving in the box in the first half surely?

Thanks, probably says volumes on how memorable the game was that I'd completely forgotten that, but now you've jogged my memory I didn't think it was a penalty (admittedly from up the other end of the ground)

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 24 Feb 2016 04:17

It was three points in a game that will not live long in the memory apart from the fact that Rotherham gained 5 yellow cards in the first half. When we face a crap team why do we always sink to their level? At least we could be entertained by the antics of Colin on the touchline when the play on the pitch was uninspiring!!

There was a 20-30 minute spell in the middle of the second half (which included our goal) when we started playing the ball on the ground when we looked totally in control. But Rotherham never looked like scoring in truth. Rakels looked lively when he came on for Norwood and certainly injected some energy in the side. This is something we have lacked since Williams has been sidelined.

HRK probably MOTM and not just because he scored the only goal. Hector also looked good again as did Ola John and Stephen Quinn. But we got the 3 points and deserved them!!
Last edited by marlowuk on 24 Feb 2016 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 24 Feb 2016 07:03

Maneki Neko Ugly but strangely satisfying

This could go on your headstone.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 24 Feb 2016 07:30

We saw why Ola John hasn't been starting up to now. As an impact sub he has been great. Yesterday he was totally anonymous in a game that cried out for an impact player. Sure it is only one game but on that evidence he will struggle to get a place in the starting XI again.

HRK was clear MOM. A shining light in a very dull game.

Caversham Royal

by Caversham Royal » 24 Feb 2016 07:39

A somewhat disturbing & worriying evening for me for 3 reasons........

1. I thought Hal Robson Kanu had a pretty decent game.
2. Because of the above I thought he fully deserved his goal.
3. Because of both of the above, I made sure I took the time to applaud him when when he came over to the East Stand at the end.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 24 Feb 2016 07:41

It's good to see that Colin has stuck to his footballing principles and hasn't wasted any time getting his new charges to carry them out on the pitch. I'm really surprised we didn't up the tempo from the start of the 2nd half as, with 5 yellows, they would've had to be very careful or risk getting a red.

They learn very quickly. 2 sent off in his first game in charge (although 1 was a second yellow for time wasting. Who gets a second yellow for timewasteing, it's almost as stupid as getting a 2nd yellow for taking your shirt off after scoring)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Feb 2016 07:55

RG7Fan

Thanks, probably says volumes on how memorable the game was that I'd completely forgotten that, but now you've jogged my memory I didn't think it was a penalty (admittedly from up the other end of the ground)

Looked absolutely nailed on where we were sat (at the right end and facing the incident) - we were staggered and mightily relieved when we realised the ref wasn't actually pointing to the spot.

120 posts