175 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Sutekh » 11 Oct 2022 11:18

When : Saturday, 15th October 2022, 3pm
Where : Madejski Stadium, Reading, RG2 0FL
Capacity : 24,161

West Bromwich Albion are teetering on the edge of same abyss that Reading have been staring at for much of the last 5 years only for the Baggies third division football may well spell the end for the current incarnation of the club esp. with several cupboards of financial skeletons that now seem to be waiting behind them to burst open. If those cupboards are to be secured and cleaned out then WBA need to propel themselves up the table as rapidly as they can and exit the division by way of promotion this season, thus a decision has been taken to relieve Steve Bruce of his managerial duties in an effort to start that climb.

Roy Keane seems to be the slight favourite to take over followed by Chris Wilder and Sean Dyche, there is also some suggestion that Coventry’s Mark Robins might be on their radar. Currently running things is U21s coach Richard Beale assisted by James Morrison and Gary Walsh but whoever is finally appointed will change the current dynamic at the club and therefore all that has gone before is likely to be forgotten - especially with the playing squad available to the Throstles.

Thus far the Baggies have been poor but difficult to beat. They’ve not won since beating Hull 5-2 in August which is now a run of 8 games. However 5 of those 8 have been drawn and the three losses have all been by 1 goal so even without the managerial change this game was likely to be a tight affair.

As we know they now possess the mecurial talent of John Swift who has been one of their better performers (2 goals in 12) and is likely to be more than up for this game. Given we don’t want him too determined, I hope the Reading fans give him a nice warm welcome before and after the game (though he’ll probably get the usual stick during the game). The WBA midfield though is what needs to be stopped as not only is there the former player threat there is also the more than useful Grady Diangana and Jayson Molumby as well as that continual right Royal pain in the Reading backside of Jed Wallace to stifle. The main forward threat comes in the shape of Karlan Grant who secured the 3 points for WBA in the same fixture last season.

Semi Ajayi and Darrell Dike are out with injury while Kenneth Zohore and Alex Mowatt may both return to the fold after falling out of favour under the previous regime.

Shane Long is probably the nearest to a return of the recent Reading casualties while Sam Hutchinson is a doubt after having to go off early v QPR. Azeez, Sarr, Moore, Dann and Rahman will remain sidelined.

Referee

Tim Robinson

Record

39 yellows and 1 red in 9 games so far - averages about 4.5 bookings a game

Previously

23 Apr 22 > Hull City 3-0 Reading
19 Jan 22 > Reading 0-2 Luton Town
18 Sep 21 Reading 3-1 Peterborough United
06 Feb 21 > Stoke City 0-0 Reading
09 Dec 20 > Reading 1-2 Birmingham City
19 Sep 20 > Reading 2-0 Barnsley
18 Jul 20 > Blackburn Rovers 4-3 Reading
07 Dec 19 > Reading 2-3 Birmingham City
06 Apr 19 > Hull City 3-1 Reading
01 Jan 19 > Reading 1-4 Swansea City
19 Sep 18 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
16 Jan 18 > Reading 3-0 Stevenage (FA Cup 3)
30 Sep 17 > Reading 1-2 Norwich City
29 Apr 17 > Reading 1-0 Wigan Athletic
01 Oct 16 > Reading 1-1 Derby County
02 Feb 16 > Ipswich Town 2-1 Reading
21 Sep 13 > Derby County 1-3 Reading

Historically

This is the nineteenth league season shared with WBA, of which 15 have been since 1986/87. So far the home record is pretty close with 7 wins for WBA and 5 for Reading with 6 drawn which is possibly not too bad considering the Throstles’ are largely a tier 1/2 yo-yo club and at least this is the home fixture rather than the away version which, in the league, is a bit of a graveyard for the Biscuitmen. For the record though Reading haven’t won any of the last 3 home league games and even the last time they did win in the league at home they were 2-0 down with 8 minutes left so Reading do seem to like doing it the hard way if at all!

Conversely though, perhaps this should be sold to the players as a cup game as WBA do appear to have very big issues when facing Reading in a cup competition as their 0 wins and 4 defeats from the 6 cup played games in Reading shows.

WBA, though, have only failed to score on 2 occasions in the league at Reading and Reading themselves have only failed to score on 4 occasions so it all rather suggests there are goals to be had in this one - so let’s hope they turn up for the home team for a change.

How to follow the game

1. Get a ticket and travel to the Mad Stad (it just sounds better than SCL)
  2. Listen to Radio 5 Live and/or a myriad of other radio stations for score flashes
  3. Ring/text a mate for updates
  4. Use a RoyalTV subscription
  5. BBC Radio Berkshire (FM : 104.4, 104.1 or 95.4 depending where you are in the area)

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : West Bromwich Albion (h)

by Hound » 11 Oct 2022 11:48

Thanks Sutekh

Interesting one this. WBA look in a false position but obvs one we’d really like to win if we’ve any pretence of being top 6

Would bring Ejaria in I think. Hopefully Long is fit for the bench again. Up front is a conundrum- imo Carroll/Ince might be the best current combo but then we’re leaving out a stack of goals in Meite and Joao. Tough choices for Ince to make

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre
Hoilett Hendrick Loum Ejaria NGW
Ince Carroll

Bouzanis, Meite, Joao, Long, Fornah, Mbengue, Abbey

Assuming Hutch is out and no one else is back fit from the injury list

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 Oct 2022 12:15

Thanks Sutekh for the usual informative preview, I thought Mowatt went on loan to Boro, or was it just a temporary loan?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 11 Oct 2022 12:17

Hound Thanks Sutekh

Interesting one this. WBA look in a false position but obvs one we’d really like to win if we’ve any pretence of being top 6

Would bring Ejaria in I think. Hopefully Long is fit for the bench again. Up front is a conundrum- imo Carroll/Ince might be the best current combo but then we’re leaving out a stack of goals in Meite and Joao. Tough choices for Ince to make

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre
Ince Carroll

I think that's probably about fair at the moment really, if Hutchinson isn't 100% then a spot on the bench instead of Abbey would be ok for me.

I think Joao is due a goal and a good performance, but Carroll is an asset that is performing well at the moment, so tough to drop him, especially after just scoring as well.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Oct 2022 12:48

Hound Thanks Sutekh

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre
Ince Carroll

Would go with this team but Meite in for Ejaria. Gives us the option of a 3-5-2 with Meite and Carroll up top or Meite and Ince both playing off Carroll in more of a 3-4-3

They’re a team in awful form so would be ideal to have a go at them from the off

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Oct 2022 13:55

Hound Thanks Sutekh

Lumley
Yiadom Holmes McIntyre
Ince Carroll

Midfield and the front line is certainly tricky. Both Fornah and Loum blow extremely hot and cold. Hard to know which version of each player you'll get.

I'd go with this:

Hendrick, Ince, Fornah
.........Carroll, Joao

I fall just on the side of Fornah being more reliable. Ince has to play. I think Joao and Carroll are worth persisting with given Joao's scoring record and how little they've had to really forge a partnership.

Ince will really help them press from the front, and give us the pace and ability to carry the ball with Hoilett and NGW to break effectively.

I think it's a team that can turn defence into attack terrifyingly quickly in several different ways.

If that doesn't work over 2-3 games, we can drop the striker who performs less well for Ejaria and move Ince forward.

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 11 Oct 2022 13:57

We could drag WBA into a midfield slug and scrap where they may feel uncomfortable and we feel a bit more at ease. But as we are at home I feel we need to get at them. What we lacked against QPR was someone to feed off the knock downs and strengths of Carroll. Ince has got the legs and the ability to get into those positions. Ejaria is probably another sub appearance off being first team contention.
.................Lumley
....Yiadom Holmes McIntyre
Hoilett... Hendrick Loum ....NGW
.................Ince
............Joao Carroll

Bouzanis, Meite, Ejaria, Long, Fornah, Mbengue, Clarke

TBF I would be happy with any combination of Carroll / Ince / Ejaria / Joao / Long / Meite in the advanced roles.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Oct 2022 14:54

Mid Sussex Royal Thanks Sutekh for the usual informative preview, I thought Mowatt went on loan to Boro, or was it just a temporary loan?

Yes, he is at boro, forgot that and the site I used to check featured him as still at WBA as he’s was an unused sub in a game for them this season!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Oct 2022 17:17

Coupla things:

Really nervous about this one. Banana Skin for sure.

I mentioned in another thread I fancy Joao in attacking midfield
rather as the second of two up front.

We would start playing to his feet, then and he has great feet.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 12 Oct 2022 09:29

Snowball Coupla things:

You would take our best goal scorer and move him further away from goal?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Oct 2022 10:37

tidus_mi2
Snowball Coupla things:

You would take our best goal scorer and move him further away from goal?

ABSOLUTELY

Take the pressure off him

Stop numpty long balls in the air to him. (His weakest element is his heading)

Play to his strengths (his foot-wise ball-control)

Make opponents have another worry, an attacking midfielder known for goals
(He often gets goals from the edge of the box)

I've never seen him as a six-yard-box poacher, anyway

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2022 11:45

We've had some spectacularly bad ideas in the past, but playing Joao in midfield has to be up there with the worst.

Plays him out of position to none of his strengths. Midfield requires huge workrate, energy and defensive spatial awareness.

Joao is best taking people on around the box and holding the ball up when it's played to feet or in at waist height. Just fix the problem by not punting ball up over or into his his head.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Oct 2022 12:26

Yeah not a chance I'd play Joao as a 10. He's a CF, a very good one at that. It isn't helping him if we are pumping balls up to him rather than giving him the service he needs, but moving his position isn't the answer, we just need better quality going into him.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 12 Oct 2022 13:04

At least we can all agree lumping up balls for him to head is a terrible idea

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2022 13:10

Hound At least we can all agree lumping up balls for him to head is a terrible idea

Absolutely.

He could do with varying his game a little though... too often he gets sucked in to the battle for position to the point he loses track of where the ball is. I think he's become too predictable and easy for a defender (or two) to negate. It used to work because it was less orthodox and caught people by surprise. But now they all know he's going to wrestle with them and try to either take ball down dead at his feet or block and roll them letting the ball through to chase.

You know the defender has you sussed when you try to back into them so the ball is coming at you waist high not head high, only for them to give easily and pull you with them so you stumble back and the ball drops about 5 yards short of you for someone else to steal. Seen that several times now. Same with the balls in at the right height. If he just went for a one touch pop off to someone else a little more he'd keep the defenders guessing. Been hard to do in the past because he's been so isolated. But less of an issue with Ince and Carroll around.

Carroll keeping it simple and just attacking the ball to win it is hard to defend, especially when he's so damn strong and has such good chest and head control

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 12 Oct 2022 13:34

Snowflake Royal
Midfield requires huge workrate, energy and defensive spatial awareness.

SWIFT

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 12 Oct 2022 13:38

Snowball
Snowflake Royal

SWIFT

For as technically good as Swift was and as much as I loved him, that's what was lacking in his game. Fair play, that's not his type of game, but there is a reason now why a lot of fans are turning on our "lazy" midfield from the last couple of seasons, seeing what it can be like now with 3 work horses in there.

If anything, that comparison to Swift and Joao's "lazy" stigma, that some fans tag onto him, would be reason enough not to put him in that position, let alone his strength lies as a number 9.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Oct 2022 13:41

Snowball
Snowflake Royal

SWIFT

A midfielder, with more of those attributes than Joao, a striker, and lots of midfield experience. Plus someone we're doing better without.

:roll:

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 15 Oct 2022 10:30

I don't very often have a bet on us because of so many let downs over the years but strictly on prices the bookies have surely got it wrong, taking into account league positions , in having us at 11/4 (bet365).

This is the sort of price that you would expect if it were the bottom club at home to the top club.

JR

by JR » 15 Oct 2022 13:01

I still think 28/1 to score any time is crazy odds for someone who has chances at set pieces every home game (Holmes)

175 posts