MATCH REPORT: 2006/2007 Season

21 April 2007: FA PREMIER LEAGUE
Reading: Doyle (84 mins pen, 89 mins), Hunt (90 mins).
Bolton: Shorey (64 mins, own goal)
Half Time: 0-0
Attendance: 23,533

Pos Team P Pts GD
6 Bolton 35 54 -3
7 READING 35 51 +6
8 Tottenham 34 50 +1
Reading: Hahnemann, De la Cruz (Harper 74), Ingimarsson, Duberry, Shorey, Oster (Ki-Hyeon 73), Sidwell, Gunnarsson, Hunt, Doyle, Kitson (Long 77). Subs Not Used: Federici, Bikey.
Bolton: Jaaskelainen, Hunt (Michalik 21), Ben Haim, Meite, Gardner, Nolan (Giannakopoulos 46), Speed, Teymourian, Davies, Anelka, Diouf (Thompson 31). Subs Not Used: Walker, Martin.
Reading: Shorey, Hunt.
Bolton: -
Ref: H Webb (S Yorkshire).
Reading came back from the dead to record a memorable late victory over Bolton Wanderers. The Royals looked to be down and out after conceeding a unfortunate own goal midway through the second half - but fought back with a late showing that saw three goals in the last six minutes turn the fixture on its head. It was always going to be a tough call to pick up any points from a trip to the Reebok Stadium and although neither side created a large number of chances it was Bolton that seemed on top during the first half. Hahnemann was called into action a couple of times earlier on - although the home side probably should have done better with their chances in front of goal. There were a few nervous moments when Hahnemann failed to cleanly collect the ball, and with a couple of poor clearances setting Bolton up - but otherwise the Royals were rarely tested in defence. The patern of the first half was broken up further by Bolton being forced to use all three of their substitutes, due to injuries, before the second half had even got underway.

After the break Bolton remained vaguely on top in the fixture and they took the lead twenty minutes into the half through Reading's Nicky Shorey. A cross from the left saw Shorey slide in the middle to cut the ball out and he was only successful in putting the ball past Hahnemann and into his own net. Despite Reading being a goal down and time running short, the game was far from being over. Bolton's early substitutions may have given Reading the edge late on in the game. Coppell was able to bring on three fresh players from the bench - all late in the game - to help begin Reading's fight back. The introductions of Seol, Long and Harper certainly made an immediate impact as suddenly Reading looked the better side. Bolton were unable to alter their side and could only watch as Reading turned up the pace to steal a scoreline that made this look a convincing victory for the Royals.

Inside the last ten minutes Kevin Doyle went steaming into the Bolton area, only to be taken out as he was starting to run out of pitch. It was a certain penalty and Doyle made no mistake as he steped up to blast the ball into the roof of the net and level the scores. Reading might have settled for the draw at this point - but Reading under Steve Coppell just don't operate like that - winning is the only option. Reading poured forward inside the last few minutes and Seol's cross from the right found Doyle in the middle who slotted home from close range to put Reading ahead. The three points were already now coming to Reading when Shorey got down the left on a great run and provided the perfect cross. Reading players were all lined up in the middle, but it was Hunt that got his head on it to complete the scoring - making it 3-1 to Reading and completing a miserable afternoon for Bolton.


Got an opinion? E-Mail us at
Appropriate submissions will appear on match report pages